UT-Memphis Program for 2015 Match??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmb1908

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I see UT-Memphis on ERAS but its grayed out and I can't find an official website for the program. Does anyone know any information about this?

Members don't see this ad.

So I see UT-Memphis on ERAS but its grayed out and I can't find an official website for the program. Does anyone know any information about this?
It may be starting up eventually but having left Memphis in the recent past, I would be shocked if it happened in 2015. There are very few BCEM docs in Memphis and the RRC requires that EM residents be taught in the ED by BCEM docs. The region is begging for a program and certainly Memphis (even if it's just Methodist and the Med) has the volume and acuity on which to base an excellent training program.

My understanding is that they already have approval for 2015 and fully expect to welcome their first residency class next year. I don't have a ton of information about the specifics but I spoke with one of the faculty members recently and as far as I know, all systems are go. Arcan is right though, it's been a long time coming with many fits and starts but it looks like it's actually going to happen this time. Also, Rutherford County (outside of Nashville) is starting up this year, and iirc they will be taking 6-8.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, it's a go for 2015. It has potential. In theory, Memphis would be a good training ground for an EM residency with lots of good pathology/high acuity. There is a dire shortage of BC/BE EM physicians in the area/region though that is slowly improving from what I hear.

From what I've heard, it's a go for 2015. It has potential. In theory, Memphis would be a good training ground for an EM residency with lots of good pathology/high acuity. There is a dire shortage of BC/BE EM physicians in the area/region though that is slowly improving from what I hear.

Outside of (certain areas) of Memphis itself, the region is one gaping hole of lack of competent emergency care. Which is a truly awe-inspiring testament to the ability of one trauma surgeon to hold a grudge.

Reactions: 1 user
Outside of (certain areas) of Memphis itself, the region is one gaping hole of lack of competent emergency care. Which is a truly awe-inspiring testament to the ability of one trauma surgeon to hold a grudge.
^ Please forgive my ignorance but I don't get the reference.

^ Please forgive my ignorance but I don't get the reference.
It's a regional thing. At some point in the late 70s(?), an ED doc did something that pissed off the chief of surgery at the Med. He declared that he would never have an ED doc in his trauma center and has ensured that he's kept that promise for 30 odd years. No access to trauma has been the sticking point for creating an EM residency. It would be interesting (and also sad) to tally up how many lives he personally saved versus the number of people that have died because of inadequate emergency care in the region due to lack of board-certified EPs.

So has anyone had contact with the director and know for certain what the plans are for this cycle? Are they using ERAS or are they going about this process by some other means?

So got an update...contacted the program and it is definately a go for 2015, link is now active on ERAS and website will be up in the next few days...will be accepting 6 residents for 2015.

I am interested in hearing thoughts about both this program in Memphis and the one in Murfeesboro (this middle Tennessee program has a lot more information online than the one in Memphis, and looks quite promising).

I guess my specific question is what kind of considerations medical students should have when researching/interviewing/deciding on these programs in the next couple years?

Any information on the UT-Mem EM program as far as how many residents they take and the make up of their classes so far (MD v DO)? Also, are they as DO friendly as the other programs at UT-Mem? Not a ton of information on their website so thought I'd see if I could get any information on here.

Any information on the UT-Mem EM program as far as how many residents they take and the make up of their classes so far (MD v DO)? Also, are they as DO friendly as the other programs at UT-Mem? Not a ton of information on their website so thought I'd see if I could get any information on here.

Funny I'm the one that started this thread and now I'm a PGY2 here!

We take six residents per class. The first class (my class) was made up of all MDs and I was the USIMG Carib grad in the group. Our second class (current interns) have mainly MD but one DO. My PD doesn't seem to have an MD/DO preference as long as DO applicants are taking the USMLE.

Hope this helps...any other questions please let me know!