UT Nashville residency review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imddr16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, posting on alternate account in order to remain anonymous. These threads greatly helped me and as such I am paying it forward. Good luck for future medical students. I won't go into the curriculum details or specifics since those are mostly readily available on their websites, but rather I made a long pro/con detail list along my interview trail and I will highlight my thoughts from that list.

Pro: great COL, fun city, nice faculty, great food, nice hospital, happy residents, relaxed interview, no call, great hours, great work/life balance, "best state to practice in", AAEM president is PD, new program, beautiful hospital, nice town

Con:
out rotations are unproven and far away, weird interview dinner (PDs came out to dinner), hospital run by a private group (was wondering what happens if the hospital makes a new contract with another), limited trauma, not sure about career options long term

Overall impressions
Gut feeling:6/10
Facilities/resources: 6/10
Didactics: can't comment
Prestige: 5/10
Research: 4/10
Shift/hours/wellness: 9/10

Members don't see this ad.

If the AAEM president is the PD, that says a lot.

Recently interviewed here - I was very impressed. Went in knowing they had some AAEM connection, but didn’t realize the PD is the former AAEM president and the guy that wrote the AAEM position papers on the residency expansion and how it is going to negatively affect the field.

The ED is classic community, and they’re a largely unopposed residency. The hospital is super fancy and I’m a low COL area outside of Nashville which is a very fun city. Overall the clinical experience seemed solid but not exceptional, and the research/academics seemed subpar.

that said, I can not stress enough how impressive the faculty were from a position of EM advocacy. The residency is run by a true SDG, and in addition to the PD, the aPD is also on the board of directors of AAEM. They emphasize that they’ll teach you the business of EM and set you up well to practice in an SDG after residency.

One of the PGY3 residents came by and told us about the job the PD helped him land - he’s joining an SDG as a partner in Lake Tahoe. That blew my mind, seems like those are the unicorn jobs that don’t exist in real life. The PD and a lawyer reviewed his contract for him to make sure he was getting a good deal.

so, I was very impressed, but want to hear thoughts. As someone who’s still unsure what career path they want to take, how much of an asset is the AAEM connection?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Murfreesboro is a fun city?

Recently interviewed here - I was very impressed. Went in knowing they had some AAEM connection, but didn’t realize the PD is the former AAEM president and the guy that wrote the AAEM position papers on the residency expansion and how it is going to negatively affect the field.

The ED is classic community, and they’re a largely unopposed residency. The hospital is super fancy and I’m a low COL area outside of Nashville which is a very fun city. Overall the clinical experience seemed solid but not exceptional, and the research/academics seemed subpar.

that said, I can not stress enough how impressive the faculty were from a position of EM advocacy. The residency is run by a true SDG, and in addition to the PD, the aPD is also on the board of directors of AAEM. They emphasize that they’ll teach you the business of EM and set you up well to practice in an SDG after residency.

One of the PGY3 residents came by and told us about the job the PD helped him land - he’s joining an SDG as a partner in Lake Tahoe. That blew my mind, seems like those are the unicorn jobs that don’t exist in real life. The PD and a lawyer reviewed his contract for him to make sure he was getting a good deal.

so, I was very impressed, but want to hear thoughts. As someone who’s still unsure what career path they want to take, how much of an asset is the AAEM connection?
Long time lurker, posting on alternate account in order to remain anonymous. These threads greatly helped me and as such I am paying it forward. Good luck for future medical students. I won't go into the curriculum details or specifics since those are mostly readily available on their websites, but rather I made a long pro/con detail list along my interview trail and I will highlight my thoughts from that list.

Pro: great COL, fun city, nice faculty, great food, nice hospital, happy residents, relaxed interview, no call, great hours, great work/life balance, "best state to practice in", AAEM president is PD, new program, beautiful hospital, nice town

Con: out rotations are unproven and far away, weird interview dinner (PDs came out to dinner), hospital run by a private group (was wondering what happens if the hospital makes a new contract with another), limited trauma, not sure about career options long term

Overall impressions
Gut feeling:6/10
Facilities/resources: 6/10
Didactics: can't comment
Prestige: 5/10
Research: 4/10
Shift/hours/wellness: 9/10

Oh god no.

but it’s really only like 25 minutes into downtown Nashville which is quite a fun area to have only a short drive/long Uber away.
1573150282029.png

thats with no traffic

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad someone else is calling this out! I'm from Tennessee and every time I hear someone call it UT Nashville I have the strongest eye roll. Murf is nothing like Nashville and on a weekend night it is going to be an hour + to get into the city
lol

Yeah I think it’s a good residency and all but it ain’t in Nashville. An Uber to Murf from downtown isn't something anyone does to my knowledge. That said Murf has a much better COL than Nashville and you are there to train and work hard, not troll lower Broadway or 12 South. Plus MTSU is there so there are gonna be some places to drink. I imagine if you want to meet a significant other you could meet someone from Nashville easily enough online.

Yeah I think it’s a good residency and all but it ain’t in Nashville. An Uber to Murf from downtown isn't something anyone does to my knowledge. That said Murf has a much better COL than Nashville and you are there to train and work hard anyway. Plus MTSU is there so there are gonna be some places to drink.
I'm not ****ting on Murf, theres just no way my lazy arse is gonna drive an hour to nashville.

Murfs PD was by far the coolest PD i met at the residency fair, had that obvious zombie apocalypse leader vibe

Reactions: 1 users