ut san antonio interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r0entgen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, has anyone gotten an interview to ut san antonio? i just received my invite for aug 8th...which is incredibly early...i didn't even expect it so soon...because i'm taking a summer course right now, and i take my final for that class on aug 9...and i still have class going on on aug 8...so it doesn't seem very feasible...

has anyone had any experiences with rescheduling an interview? would it make a bad impression (as if i didn't put their school interview at my #1 priority)?

Members don't see this ad.

I rescheduled my Houston interview because it conflicted with San Antonio (I was invited by SA first). Still got into Houston, so I don't think they minded too much.

Hey rOentgen. Congrats on you interview. I believe that Aug. 8 is the first interview date for UTHSCSA. I would encourage you to keep the interview date as scheduled, especially if UTHSCSA D. is your first choice. UTHSCSA is a top choice school for most of those applying, which means, the likelyhood of someone else declining/ deferring an interview is remote, leaving only a very small chance to reschedule before first round interviews are over. Also, an interview this early helps place you in the best possible situation re: admission, because you will be part of a small group (~14-17) interviewing for the maximum number of available spots (~90-92).
Hope this helps, let us know what you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Escarsega said:
Hey rOentgen. Congrats on you interview. I believe that Aug. 8 is the first interview date for UTHSCSA. I would encourage you to keep the interview date as scheduled, especially if UTHSCSA D. is your first choice. UTHSCSA is a top choice school for most of those applying, which means, the likelyhood of someone else declining/ deferring an interview is remote, leaving only a very small chance to reschedule before first round interviews are over. Also, an interview this early helps place you in the best possible situation re: admission, because you will be part of a small group (~14-17) interviewing for the maximum number of available spots (~90-92).

thanks to both of you for your replies..

escarsega, i sent you a pm. =)

r0entgen said:
hey, has anyone gotten an interview to ut san antonio? i just received my invite for aug 8th...which is incredibly early...i didn't even expect it so soon...because i'm taking a summer course right now, and i take my final for that class on aug 9...and i still have class going on on aug 8...so it doesn't seem very feasible...

has anyone had any experiences with rescheduling an interview? would it make a bad impression (as if i didn't put their school interview at my #1 priority)?

I would NOT try to reschedule the interview with SA. Had a friend last year that wanted to reschedule with them due to a work conflict in Oct and was told that they would try to fit him in, in the the next few months. He did not recieve his interview until Feb. Most undergrad schools are very forgiving about professional school interviews, I would defiently just try to postpone your final by a day or two. Congrats on your first interview!!!

Escarsega said:

Considering SA has identical GPA/DAT as Baylor and Houston, I'm not following your logic that SA is the top choice of most applicants. http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm
Anyway, again if you're forced to reschedule your interview, don't fret. This early in the game, you should be able to get another interview within the next couple weeks, and it won't make any difference. If you were having to reschedule an Oct interview, I'd agree that that's not a good idea, but your situation is considerably different. If you landed a first interview, you're a good enough applicant to get in whether it be an Aug or Sep interview.

Tilt23 said:
...just try to postpone your final by a day or two. Congrats on your first interview!!!

This isn't a bad idea. Actually, if I were you, I'd ask to take it before the interview. That way you don't have to worry about it on interview day. As Tilt said, congrats. Landing the first interview is awesome!

DDSSlave said:
If you landed a first interview, you're a good enough applicant to get in whether it be an Aug or Sep interview.

hey, does getting the first interview actually mean anything? or is it because i turned in my application early, so i got one of the first interviews? it doesn't actually mean they have a preference for me, and that's why they put me in the first interview right?

as for taking it early, it's not very possible, because even on aug 8th (a monday), we are still learning new material in that class. If i were to take it early, I would have to take it the friday before that, and miss one lecture worth of new material. Taking it later isn't that great of an option either because my prof is leaving the country on aug 11...so...

i guess i'll just have to talk to him about it tomorrow...thanks for everyone's advices though..it really helped :)

r0entgen said:
hey, does getting the first interview actually mean anything? or is it because i turned in my application early, so i got one of the first interviews? it doesn't actually mean they have a preference for me, and that's why they put me in the first interview right?

That's a good question, and I don't think any student will know the answer for sure. Certainly part of getting an early interview is getting your stuff in fast, but I guarantee you they have many more applications already than the first interview can handle (~15). No doubt they prioritize those applicants they want to interview in the first few weeks, those that they will wait for later interview dates, those that will just have to wait, and those that go strait to the circular filing cabinet. Now whether the exact first interview says something positive... maybe, maybe not, but I'd guess it does. There is a dental school urban legend that all the applicants in the first interview get accepted. Probably not true 100% of the time, but who knows...

DDSSlave said:
That's a good question, and I don't think any student will know the answer for sure. Certainly part of getting an early interview is getting your stuff in fast, but I guarantee you they have many more applications already than the first interview can handle (~15). No doubt they prioritize those applicants they want to interview in the first few weeks, those that they will wait for later interview dates, those that will just have to wait, and those that go strait to the circular filing cabinet. Now whether the exact first interview says something positive... maybe, maybe not, but I'd guess it does. There is a dental school urban legend that all the applicants in the first interview get accepted. Probably not true 100% of the time, but who knows...

haha...i never heard of that legend before...but i hope it's true =p i've never interviewed anywhere before, so this will be my first interview ever...i hope i don't blow it =/ cuz it is one of my top choices...

i kinda wish a lower priority school granted me my first interview though..

if you don't mind me asking...what are you stats? and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

r0entgen said:
haha...i never heard of that legend before...but i hope it's true =p i've never interviewed anywhere before, so this will be my first interview ever...i hope i don't blow it =/ cuz it is one of my top choices...

i kinda wish a lower priority school granted me my first interview though..

Dental School interviews are very lax. You'll do great; you're obviously a strong applicant. I know this sounds cliche, but try not to think of it as the school interviewing you. Rather, you interview the school.

r0entgen said:
hey, does getting the first interview actually mean anything? or is it because i turned in my application early, so i got one of the first interviews?
I would venture to say that it is a combination of early app, numbers indicating ability to perform well academically, and strong (or at least supportive) LORS.

it doesn't actually mean they have a preference for me, and that's why they put me in the first interview right?
They have a preference for, at the very least, to find out more about you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DDSSlave said:
Dental School interviews are very lax. You'll do great; you're obviously a strong applicant. I know this sounds cliche, but try not to think of it as the school interviewing you. Rather, you interview the school.

hehe, thanks for the encouragement ddsslave =) it's all mental, i know..so i'll have to figure out a way to think about it so i don't screw it up =p like im always worried they might ask me something that i'm unfamiliar with...or am just not very interested in, and hence uninformed...

nd7 said:
if you don't mind me asking...what are you stats? and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
my stats?
my tmdsas cumulative gpa was 3.89, science gpa was 3.81
dat aa was 22, pat was 15...

nothing too spectacular...especially that pat score of a 15...it's just miserable...but i talked to san antonio, and they said they don't use that score in their evaluation..so i hope it's true....
cuz that one score really does ruin my profile..

No one cares about PAT; don't worry about it. At my SA interview, my interviewer (an endodontist) just talked about how cool endo was and the new NiTi files. It was very relaxed.

DDSSlave said:
No one cares about PAT; don't worry about it. At my SA interview, my interviewer (an endodontist) just talked about how cool endo was and the new NiTi files. It was very relaxed.

haha...do you suggest i read up on the latest dental technology? or do they not really ask us about that, but rather get to know our character and personality? what do you feel SA's emphasis was?

gluck on the interview!! all of my texas interviews were super chill; everyone is soo nice!

i think august is pretty early to interview, but definitely try to reschedule things with your summer class before you try rescheduling the SA interview. i didn't interview until october, but then i didn't turn in adsaas until first week of august last year.

be yourself and talk about your strong points! i did research undergrad, and it's true, SA is into research, so my interviewer and i talked about my research, his research. the interview was actually kinda fun...and SA ended up offering me a scholarship. ;)

javagrl said:
gluck on the interview!! all of my texas interviews were super chill; everyone is soo nice!

i think august is pretty early to interview, but definitely try to reschedule things with your summer class before you try rescheduling the SA interview. i didn't interview until october, but then i didn't turn in adsaas until first week of august last year.

be yourself and talk about your strong points! i did research undergrad, and it's true, SA is into research, so my interviewer and i talked about my research, his research. the interview was actually kinda fun...and SA ended up offering me a scholarship. ;)

hey, what kind of research did you do? i did cardiology research, which doesn't pertain much to dentistry...will that still strike a good conversation?

WOw. nice to hear that you got an interview invite from the school of your top choice. you should be re-schedule your interview for thr following week with no problem, just let them know from now.
know your research well. they will ask you about it. they dont care what you did, but just be able to talk about it and state its importance and what you personally gained from it.

best of luck.

r0entgen said:
haha...do you suggest i read up on the latest dental technology? or do they not really ask us about that, but rather get to know our character and personality? what do you feel SA's emphasis was?

They'll ask why you're interested in dentistry. They may ask about your research, although SA didn't ask much about mine. Aside from that, just know yourself. Have questions ready to ask them about the school, the city, or dentistry in general. And you'll do fine. Again, if you have the mindset that you are interviewing the school, you'll come across as much more confident and able. Have questions ready for both faculty and students. If you're interested in general dentistry, ask about clinical experience and number of procedures/requirements students get to perform. If you're interested in specialty work, ask about the various specialty departments. Ask how well prepared students are for Boards or how much time off they get. Ask about research opportunities. You get the idea.

ditto what comet and DDSslave said about interviews. i did neurobio research, nothing to do with dental research.

just be prepared-- you'll do great! :D

r0entgen said:

When they send you an invite does it come through the regular post, or email? Is this standard for most schools? Thanks for helping me better understand the process!

Oh, i just remembered... you need to go shopping for interview attire and stuff.... good luck with all of that lovely stuff.

Lostinbul said:
When they send you an invite does it come through the regular post, or email? Is this standard for most schools? Thanks for helping me better understand the process!

it looks like mine came through the regular mail. whether it's standard for most schools, i don't know..this is my first year applying, and i've only received one invite.

comet208 said:
Oh, i just remembered... you need to go shopping for interview attire and stuff.... good luck with all of that lovely stuff.
haha..yeah...i think i'm gona have to do that this weekend...sigh...