Utah DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor over the weekend that there is going to be a new DO school opening up in South Jordan, Utah. That is literally all I heard. Has anyone heard anything like this? I know University of Souther Nevada has a pharm school and a dental school there, could it be them? Any info?

It would be kind of refreshing to have a new DO school that isn't in the midwest etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell me, where did you hear this rumor?

I'm in the Salt Lake Valley (same general area as South Jordan) and all I've heard about is a Dental School and Pharmacy School.

Would have been nice to stay around family for Med-school though.

SLC

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard it from a classmate whose uncle practices in the area... so, not very reliable. I have class with him tomorrow so I will ask for more info.

I heard a rumor over the weekend that there is going to be a new DO school opening up in South Jordan, Utah. That is literally all I heard. Has anyone heard anything like this? I know University of Souther Nevada has a pharm school and a dental school there, could it be them? Any info?

It would be kind of refreshing to have a new DO school that isn't in the midwest etc.

Not sure if there is a new school rumbling in the works, but Touro NV is in Las Vegas which is only a 6 hr. drive to Salt lake City I am told. Might be your best bet.

There were rumors about a UVSC DO school way back when. My wife had also taken a psych class at UVSC where the adjunct professor said something to the effect that they were getting a DO school until 9/11 happened.

In any case, I figured that if any school came into Utah it'd be the school in South Jordan.

Also, Utah produces waaay more applicants than they have seats at the U (isn't it <100?). BYU alone is typically something like #3 out of all college for the volume of applicants produced each year.

There were rumors about a UVSC DO school way back when. My wife had also taken a psych class at UVSC where the adjunct professor said something to the effect that they were getting a DO school until 9/11 happened.

In any case, I figured that if any school came into Utah it'd be the school in South Jordan.

Also, Utah produces waaay more applicants than they have seats at the U (isn't it <100?). BYU alone is typically something like #3 out of all college for the volume of applicants produced each year.

Yeah, a lot of people think that the U discriminates against BYU grads. Then again, I have heard U undergrads say that the U med school discriminates against U grads. I think that's all false. The fact of the matter is that Utah has one med school in a state where a lot of people want to go to med school, and where a lot of people want to stay near home for med school.

COCA (commission on osteopathic college accreditation has carried on its new and developing COMS and Campuses applicant summary, the University of Southern Nevada Seeking to develop in Utah since August 31, 2005. I have not looked further into any activity on this project but dont hold your breath.

BTW, this status is the initial step in seeking accreditation. This status is offered without rights or privileges of accreditation, and does not establish or imply recognition by the COCA. Applicant status is granted upon the formal request for evaluation submitted by the chief executive officer of the applicant COM.

Link COCA Initial COM applicant List

Thanks for the list. That is very interesting. I wonder if is something USN is still pursuing or if they went for dental instead. Also, I noticed that Barry in FL has applied too. Makes sense, they already have a pod program, so they'll have a lot of infrastructure in place. FL doesn't need another DO school though.

Last edited:
Yeah, a lot of people think that the U discriminates against BYU grads. Then again, I have heard U undergrads say that the U med school discriminates against U grads. I think that's all false. The fact of the matter is that Utah has one med school in a state where a lot of people want to go to med school, and where a lot of people want to stay near home for med school.

I've heard about the U of U "discrimination" before, but I always blew that off as people who didn't get accepted and were bitter.

The reality is, Utah and BYU both put out a lot of Med-school applicants. And to make matters worse, UUSOM has a very unorthodox approach to admissions. They're like the MSUCOM of the MD world. You have to have like 6 letters, a TON of volunteering, leadership, research, shadowing etc. And they don't let you consolidate it, meaning if you have a leadership position at one of your volunteer places, you have to decide which category you want it to go to.

Nobody knows exactly what to do to get in at the U of U, you pretty much apply and hope for the best. It's a great program, but a bit unorthodox when it comes to the admissions process.

I didn't apply there, I was always going to be a DO. But I did go to the U of U for undergrad. It's a great school.

I do think that Utah needs another option for medical school. We have a Vet. Program in the works at USU now, Utah is shaping up to be a great place to seek a professional's education.

Pretty sure the UofU would cock block any new med school, I'm sure most people on here know they dropped 12 seats cause the state didn't buy the we need more money or we can't possibly train anymore doctors ploy :rolleyes:. But in all honesty we seriously could use another medical school in Utah. My suggestion would be Ogden, we have 3 pretty nice hospitals in the area with McKay, Davis, and Ogden Regional (which actually is not so nice) and a ton of clinics to rotate through and Weber's got a nice plot picked out for some type of professional school, but does anyone listen to me, no.

I wonder if the Joplin school has been affected by the tornado stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if the Joplin school has been affected by the tornado stuff.

I have been wondering that as well. I heard one of Joplin's two hospitals is pretty much in shambles.

Pretty sure the UofU would cock block any new med school, I'm sure most people on here know they dropped 12 seats cause the state didn't buy the we need more money or we can't possibly train anymore doctors ploy :rolleyes:. But in all honesty we seriously could use another medical school in Utah. My suggestion would be Ogden, we have 3 pretty nice hospitals in the area with McKay, Davis, and Ogden Regional (which actually is not so nice) and a ton of clinics to rotate through and Weber's got a nice plot picked out for some type of professional school, but does anyone listen to me, no.

The whole Wasatch front is full of hospitals... I can't count the number of hospital-related billboards I see along I-15 whenever I go through there on my way to California or Arizona.

If a DO school partnered up with Intermountain Healthcare, I bet they would have the resources for all your rotations right there in Utah, not to mention DO residencies that are badly needed in the US as a whole.

If a DO school partnered up with Intermountain Healthcare, I bet they would have the resources for all your rotations right there in Utah, not to mention DO residencies that are badly needed in the US as a whole.

I'd snatch one of those up so fast! Intermountain Healthcare is a great group to work with.

This is what someone else posted on a different thread.
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/accreditation/predoctoral%20accreditation/Documents/new-and-developing-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine-and-campuses.pdf

I've also hear that BYU tried to put up a DO school just south of Provo but was blocked by the legislature thanks to heavy influence from the U of U. I know as far as anesthesia goes, if you're looking for a job in the Salt Lake area and your a DO, you have no chance.
Even with an ACGME residency? I mean, how so? And why? Then again, it's not the first time I have heard of certain places in Utah being Un-DO friendly. It's really unfortunate. I am assuming you are an anesthesiology resident?

This is what someone else posted on a different thread.
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/accreditation/predoctoral%20accreditation/Documents/new-and-developing-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine-and-campuses.pdf

I've also hear that BYU tried to put up a DO school just south of Provo but was blocked by the legislature thanks to heavy influence from the U of U. I know as far as anesthesia goes, if you're looking for a job in the Salt Lake area and your a DO, you have no chance.

This guy is obviously not from Utah, not an anesthesia resident, or both......but has really no idea what he's talking about. Just simply look on IHC's website, and look at the several DO anesthesia docs there are at the various large hospitals across the wasatch front; IMC, Cottonwood, McKay Dee, etc. And this is just with IHC. Not to mention Mountain Star Hospitals (Lakeview, Davis, Ogden Regional, etc) My brother graduates from his anesthesia residency next month....and had a few opportunities to join practices in Utah.....he is a DO.

Btw, another poster said something about working for IHC and how great it is? Really? Although its a harsh reality health care faces to have more and more physicians succumbing to the big HMO. I would say the only benefit is that you get a guaranteed paycheck and all you have to do is show up and work.

As far as the DO school in Utah, I think it could be a great thing for the state. Utah isn't necessarily the most DO known state, and it would be great for students from the U of U, being exposed to DO students, so they can realize just how normal of medical students they actually are (alot of U med students think they're the shiznit).....and perhaps learn a few things from some of the DO students that can kill the MSK system, and OMT, etc.

Last edited:

Thanks for the list. That is very interesting. I wonder if is something USN is still pursuing or if they went for dental instead. Also, I noticed that Barry in FL has applied too. Makes sense, they already have a pod program, so they'll have a lot of infrastructure in place. FL doesn't need another DO school though.

Jacksonville needs a med school BAD. Not saying they need any more than the state of Utah. This area of Florida would be excellent for a DO school in my opinion.

This guy is obviously not from Utah, not an anesthesia resident, or both......but has really no idea what he's talking about. Just simply look on IHC's website, and look at the several DO anesthesia docs there are at the various large hospitals across the wasatch front; IMC, Cottonwood, McKay Dee, etc. And this is just with IHC. Not to mention Mountain Star Hospitals (Lakeview, Davis, Ogden Regional, etc) My brother graduates from his anesthesia residency next month....and had a few opportunities to join practices in Utah.....he is a DO.

Btw, another poster said something about working for IHC and how great it is? Really? Although its a harsh reality health care faces to have more and more physicians succumbing to the big HMO. I would say the only benefit is that you get a guaranteed paycheck and all you have to do is show up and work.

As far as the DO school in Utah, I think it could be a great thing for the state. Utah isn't necessarily the most DO known state, and it would be great for students from the U of U, being exposed to DO students, so they can realize just how normal of medical students they actually are (alot of U med students think they're the shiznit).....and perhaps learn a few things from some of the DO students that can kill the MSK system, and OMT, etc.

You too obviously have no idea what you are talking about with respect to anesthesia in Utah. If you did know what you are talking about you would know that Utah is highly monopolized re: anesthesia. There are essentially 3 major "practices," if that's what you want to call it, in Utah. UofU anesthesia, Wasatch anesthesia (contracted with IHC hospitals for all anesthesia), and Mountain Star Healthcare anesthesia. You are however right that there are a good number of DOs.

Re: DO school joining up with IHC for clinicals. UofU has contracts with IMC (IHCs mother ship hospital) for their students to rotate on the major services. (Medicine, Surgery, Ob/Gyn, etc) so would be hard to get past that. Do I think Utah needs a DO school? No. Do I think it's a bad idea? No.

You too obviously have no idea what you are talking about with respect to anesthesia in Utah. If you did know what you are talking about you would know that Utah is highly monopolized re: anesthesia. There are essentially 3 major "practices," if that's what you want to call it, in Utah. UofU anesthesia, Wasatch anesthesia (contracted with IHC hospitals for all anesthesia), and Mountain Star Healthcare anesthesia. You are however right that there are a good number of DOs.

Re: DO school joining up with IHC for clinicals. UofU has contracts with IMC (IHCs mother ship hospital) for their students to rotate on the major services. (Medicine, Surgery, Ob/Gyn, etc) so would be hard to get past that. Do I think Utah needs a DO school? No. Do I think it's a bad idea? No.

Ha Ha.....What does Anesthesia in utah being monopolized have anything to do about me "having no idea what I am talking about" when it comes to a DO getting a job in anesthesia in Utah.....when you yourself just said there are a number of DO gas docs along the wasatch front? Are you saying that just because there are 3 big groups that none will hire a DO, or were you just trying to sound cool because you knew there were 3 main anesthesia groups along the wasatch front, and no one else mentioned it? WOW! Are you an anesthesia resident? DO? MD?

Fairly reliable rumor just surfaced that it will be:
LECOM, Provo (or close to) opening in two years :)

do seems a popular option at byu. two people i know are from byu. they said they also applied at tcom. supposedly byu has a good track record at getting the oos slots at tcom

I also think the DO school in Utah would be awesome. The guy that said Ogden, I can see the value with the good network of hospitals around here (by the way I think Ogden Regional is an amazing hospital and I'd likely choose it over McKay or Davis in a heartbeat).

I personally have not desire to ever work for an HMO and get underpaid for what I do.

So far Southern Utah University has been the only Utah organization applying for pre-accredation status listed on the COCA website back in June 2011. Would be great since SUU is a public state-sponsored school. I don't think they are going to get the funding for the legislature anytime soon, though.

So far Southern Utah University has been the only Utah organization applying for pre-accredation status listed on the COCA website back in June 2011. Would be great since SUU is a public state-sponsored school. I don't think they are going to get the funding for the legislature anytime soon, though.

Would be awesome if SUU-COM came to fruition. The state schools are amazing assets to the profession, and more are desperately needed (without saturating the residency market though).

Fairly reliable rumor just surfaced that it will be:
LECOM, Provo (or close to) opening in two years :)

No!!! Not another LECOM.

I think Utah would be a great place for a DO school as long as its not a branch campus of some other school.

The U recently cut seats for their application cycle, I believe it was a couple years ago. I'm sure funding for a DO school would need to occur from a private entity, seeing as how a prestigious school such as the U is receiving budget cuts. That said, they did just finance the construction of a new pharmacy school.

There also seems a lack of progressiveness in UT when it comes to embracing a DO school.

I think this is a logical move for LECOM... They recruit heavily in the mountain west, and Utah has far more applicants than the U of U. I'm kind of excited about this (even though I hope to start med school long before this school opens up)

Last edited:
Thanks for looking that up. I graduated from BYU and I don't think I've ever heard of RMUoHP before. Had anyone else who's lived in the area heard of it?

It's a really small couple of buildings, on the south end of town near the Novell building. They have a DPT program.

Interesting...sounds like its obviously not a school, or even a branch but either rotations site or residency option?

either way, cool.

It's a really small couple of buildings, on the south end of town near the Novell building. They have a DPT program.

Correct. I had never heard of it either before 2011, but alas, here I am attending RMUoHP as a 2nd year student in their DPT program. :)

They have a lot going for them and expansion is coming. Plan is to build a multi million dollar facility to house the DO and DPT programs....

Correct. I had never heard of it either before 2011, but alas, here I am attending RMUoHP as a 2nd year student in their DPT program. :)

They have a lot going for them and expansion is coming. Plan is to build a multi million dollar facility to house the DO and DPT programs....

So will it be RMUCOM or LECOM-Provo?

No!!! Not another LECOM.

I think Utah would be a great place for a DO school as long as its not a branch campus of some other school.

Yeah, I agree...

And I don't think it seems like its going to be a campus or branch from the pamphlet. Just an associate site for LECOM.

I think the SUU schools seems more likely

Texas only has one (TCOM, super competitive but awesome school). And considering Texas is huge on MD schools, I believe we need another one.

That is really interesting, I hope that it gets off the ground. There are so few medical schools in the west to accommodate the number of interested students. I know that there is a lot of backlash against expansion (for good reason), but the intermountain west has a lot of space and students, and very few options.

Also adds more fuel to the SLC/Provo rivalry! :)

I do not get the feeling that it is going to be a medical school, but I could be wrong.

"The purpose of the partnership is to develop medical education opportunities for current medical school students attending the three LECOM campuses (two in PA and one in FL)."

I think that LECOM is going to tap into the opportunities in Utah County/SL County to provide additional clerkships and possibly LECOM affiliated internships.

LECOM seems to be very particular on where they allow their 3/4 year rotations to be done and this seems to be an expansion of that.

I graduated from BYU a year ago and didn't know of RMUoHP until I drove by it on my way to work at a warehouse. Their building is in the weirdest place - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rmuohp&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-beta&ie=UTF-8&hl=en

http://www.rmuohp.com/ - maybe their trying to be more legitimate with a LECOM affiliation

Last edited:
Reading that announcement I agree that it doesn't sound like they're openly trying to establish a new campus necessarily, but rather trying to establish rotation and residency spots. However, they're way out of their "normal" rotation areas (east coast-ish) and the fact that they're sending an important guy here to work full time on setting this up might suggest that they are also working on seeing how feasible it would be to set something larger up in Provo. In my mind, I wouldn't say that they definitely are or that they definitely aren't scoping a new school out...

Also, bizarre location. I would never have guessed there was another school hanging out in that part of town.

well according to the applicant list on COCA, the "southern university of utah", which I guess refers to the state-supported Southern Utah University, wants to start a DO program. Their request was like a year ago. But I cannot find ANY other information on it.

As of May 2012, only on school has requested adding a DO school, and that would be in Cedar City. There were rumors that Southern Nevada University (which already has a brach campus in Jordan) wanted to open a school, but it didn't go anywhere. I would like to see what LECOM's rotations, or possible residencies could look like in Utah.

This is what that posted press release by LECOM really says:

"Here at LECOM we have so rapidly expanded our campuses in ****ty locations with 50k populations and no real hospital system that we now have to farm out our 3rd years to crappy clinical roations across the united states in semi-rural areas that other medical schools havent poached on yet.

To that end, we have decided to form a relationship with Rocky Mountain Nobody Ever Heard of Us College, which has a smashing building consisting of 2 strip malls in a city that nobody outside of Utah has ever heard of. These 2 strip mall sites will serve as high quality clinical instruction sites where our 3rd year students from Pennsylvania and Florida can learn about cutting edge clinical medicine from burned out has-been 75 year old DOs who havent practiced medicine in a decade.

The future of medicine is at LECOM - Rocky Mountain Nobody Ever Heard of Us College! Apply today! Tuition starts at a low 60k per year!"

This is what that posted press release by LECOM really says:

"Here at LECOM we have so rapidly expanded our campuses in ****ty locations with 50k populations and no real hospital system that we now have to farm out our 3rd years to crappy clinical roations across the united states in semi-rural areas that other medical schools havent poached on yet.

To that end, we have decided to form a relationship with Rocky Mountain Nobody Ever Heard of Us College, which has a smashing building consisting of 2 strip malls in a city that nobody outside of Utah has ever heard of. These 2 strip mall sites will serve as high quality clinical instruction sites where our 3rd year students from Pennsylvania and Florida can learn about cutting edge clinical medicine from burned out has-been 75 year old DOs who havent practiced medicine in a decade.

The future of medicine is at LECOM - Rocky Mountain Nobody Ever Heard of Us College! Apply today! Tuition starts at a low 60k per year!"

Come on. Give us a little more credit than that! We have 4 buildings and only 1 strip mall site! :D:D

RMUoHP, while nobody really knows much about it, has some pretty good expansion plans. It will have a better presence in the next decade or so.

To that end, we have decided to form a relationship with Rocky Mountain Nobody Ever Heard of Us College, which has a smashing building consisting of 2 strip malls in a city that nobody outside of Utah has ever heard of.

Strip mall? Try industrial zone warehouse style buildings that are BEHIND the Sams club.

I'd never heard of half the cities that most DO schools are in. Pikeville, Kirksville, Yakima, Vallejo, etc. etc.?

Provo/Orem has more college students than most DO school cities have residents as well as 500k+ residents in Utah county. PLUS, enough babies coming out to provide enough OB rotations for the entire medical education community.