UTDB Houston interviews 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No problem guys!

@Astros,
Houston does not like being called -- they have an email that you can use to ask about status updates. for the most part, i think everyone is just waiting it out :)

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on your houston interview mw3257!

anyone else recently heard from houston?

It could be that they are slow or it could be that they are not impressed with the offer they have on hand.

I see a bubbly, yet anxious group of new applicants every Monday, so I know they are getting the job done. Fast, NO! Interviewing, YES! Just be patient people. If you were meant to get into UTDB, you will get your interview soon enough. They are working at getting the interview invites out to those they want to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see a bubbly, yet anxious group of new applicants every Monday, so I know they are getting the job done. Fast, NO! Interviewing, YES! Just be patient people. If you were meant to get into UTDB, you will get your interview soon enough. They are working at getting the interview invites out to those they want to consider.

that is true. if it is meant to be then they will contact us. to get me to stop thinking about houston, can you provide me with some information about how your experience is going? what do you like about the school? what do you dislike (if any)? why did you select houston over the other 2 dental schools?

thanks

Haha, trust me, I'm meant to get into UTDB. I just need them to realize that!

@ alanan84

haha i agree with you, we are meant to go to houston!

well friday is almost hear so hopefully we will hear some good news! good luck.

November 2nd is my date at UTDB-Houston.

Anyone have any pointers, breakdowns, and/or tips for the interview?

Ya I had my interview already. It was actually pretty fun! I've visited the school multiple times before and I like it even more each time I go.

The interview was really laid back. It was really just a conversation. I think we'll all do well.:)

is it an open file or closed file interview?

and YES go coogs...don't know what it is with them against C-USA teams...barely beating Tulane right now. Makes no sense, we can hang with and beat OK State, Texas Tech, and Miss St. but not UTEP and Tulane?

is it an open file or closed file interview?

and YES go coogs...don't know what it is with them against C-USA teams...barely beating Tulane right now. Makes no sense, we can hang with and beat OK State, Texas Tech, and Miss St. but not UTEP and Tulane?

It was actually open file, he opened it up in front of me lol. But ya I also have no clue why UH has trouble in CUSA cuz we're BARELY beating Tulane right now. But at the same time, I think it's hard for UH since all the teams are watching the tape for Houston each week and waiting for the chance to beat us since we've been doing pretty well for the last few years and since we're ranked. Where do you go to school?

It was actually open file, he opened it up in front of me lol. But ya I also have no clue why UH has trouble in CUSA cuz we're BARELY beating Tulane right now. But at the same time, I think it's hard for UH since all the teams are watching the tape for Houston each week and waiting for the chance to beat us since we've been doing pretty well for the last few years and since we're ranked. Where do you go to school?

University of Houston

man it we never lost to UTEP we'd be in the top 8 BCS standings no doubt...but we are stuck at 17 instead...

What could have been... any other pointers or tips for the Houston interview? How long was the actual interview with the faculty member?

I applied 8.19
Verified 9.18
Got Application received email from Houston 9.25
Got invite invite 10.12
Interview schedule for 10.26

(accidentally posted twice)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
my brain is exploding from waitinggg haha

I applied 8.19
Verified 9.18
Got invite invite 10.12

wow thats fast.

Application received email 8/21. still nothing yet from Houston. Hoping this month I hear something.

I applied 8.19
Verified 9.18
Got invite invite 10.12

Wow, good luck SF. My interview is for Nov. 2 so hopefully you report back to SDN on how it went. There's not much on SDN about the Houston interview and how it went.

Good luck and let us know :)

Good luck to all who got the interview invites. I'm new to this site but please let me know if there is a hope for me......Houston is really my first choice !!!!

Good luck to all who got the interview invites. I'm new to this site but please let me know if there is a hope for me......Houston is really my first choice !!!!

You have great scores. I am suprised you have got just one intrview sofar. anyway welcome to this addicted fourm :D and good luck.

Is there some sort of sacrifice i can make the Houston? :idea:if there is someone let me know, animal or otherwise.

You have great scores. I am suprised you have got just one intrview sofar. anyway welcome to this addicted fourm :D and good luck.

Thanks Danny! Unfortunately I submitted my app late (August 15) so I guess I’ll have to wait and see if I get an invite for interview

Finally heard from Houston!

Applied: 7/21
Verified: 8/20
"Received" Email: 8/31
Invite Email: Friday 10/16 @ 10:05 am
Interview: 11/9

my dates are about week ahead from yours and still nothing yet. Maybe its my GPA.

Im thinking its the GPA for me too. Im still crossing my fingers tho! cmonnn i like houston!

Congrats on your interview :)
Would you mind sharing your stats?

HAHA Solstice, i LOVE your avatar =D

I interviewed with Houston yesterday and this is the schedule of the day

830-9: Sign in, chat with people :)
9-10: Dr. Pierpont introduces the school
10-11: Split into two groups; one interviews and the other goes on a tour
11-12: Interview/tour
12-1: Lunch with all years of DS students (chicken strips! and mashed potato! ---- which reminds me, if you are a veggie you will be stuck with mashed potatoes and salad. So if that is not okay with you, give them a heads up =D I know SA asked us about dietary restrictions)
1-230: More info on research, financial aid, closing

He let us out a little early to avoid the traffic :) that was sweet of him
hope that helps!

So DEFINITELY met some cool people at the interview :) (HINTHINT: DrTootle!) hopefully I will run into yall again :D

12-1: Lunch with all years of DS students (chicken strips! and mashed potato! ---- which reminds me, if you are a veggie you will be stuck with mashed potatoes and salad. So if that is not okay with you, give them a heads up =D I know SA asked us about dietary restrictions)

hope that helps!

So DEFINITELY met some cool people at the interview :) (HINTHINT: DrTootle!) hopefully I will run into yall again :D

How was the overall interview?

Thats a vague question.

Good... :D

lol..good point. Not asking for specific questions or anything, but my UTHSC-SA interview was a closed file interview and the faculty member went at me with some ethics questions mostly as well as my volunteer work and other stuff about me. He didn't really grill me or put me on the spot, only about the ethical question.

What I am asking is if the interview is closed file or open file and did they focus more on ethics or ask mainly about your application and shortcomings as an undergraduate. Also, did he/she put you on the spot about anything or did anything catch you off guard?

thanks

hope that helps!

So, were you in the 10-11 or 11-12 tour group? I was in doing an extraction in Oral Surgery when the 11-12 group went by.

@Le
Interview was open-file (he had actually pulled up my tmdsas file right in front of me) and my interviewer knew a LOT of details right of the bat, I was impressed... but then again, it seemed like he already knew me so I wasn't sure WHAT he wanted to know more...
For me, he didn't grill me on anything... especially ethics. He tried to kept it conversational and encouraged to ask a lot of questions...

@Navy
I was in the first group...
10-11 so I guess I missed you!!!
Our group got stuck in an elevator though. That was our BONDING moment, :laugh:

@Le
Interview was open-file (he had actually pulled up my tmdsas file right in front of me) and my interviewer knew a LOT of details right of the bat, I was impressed... but then again, it seemed like he already knew me so I wasn't sure WHAT he wanted to know more...
For me, he didn't grill me on anything... especially ethics. He tried to kept it conversational and encouraged to ask a lot of questions...

@Navy

Thank you Icesspice..also how many people were interviewing with you? At SA i believe we had 14 at my interview

@Le

@Navy

Yeah, I must have been presenting the case to the faculty to get approval to do the extraction when you came by. Glad to hear you got to experience one of our favorite pastimes at UTDB - the elevator ride (you never know when it will work). Be glad the new school will be done in a few years. :)

Congrats on your interview :)
Would you mind sharing your stats?

GPA: 3.52
SGPA: 3.13
DAT: AA-19/PAT-19/TS-18

My stats aren't superfantastic, but I should add that I'm a graduate student getting an MPH. It felt like that was all they asked about at my SA interview.

hope that helps!

:laugh: I'm Dr. Tootle, and I approve this message!

Has anyone heard anything from Houston? I'm freakin out...... :)

Yeah I heard yesterday about a Nov. 9th interview, so there should be plenty of pre-December interviews left...
Good luck.

Yeah I heard yesterday about a Nov. 9th interview, so there should be plenty of pre-December interviews left...
Good luck.

I HOPE SO!!!!!! im waiting patiently. Well maybe not patiently...im freakin outttt

I noticed the process dates for people who received interview and it seems like my app has been tossed aside by the committee. :scared:

tmdsas verified 8/10
app received email 8/21

got an email earlier this week for an invite! scheduled for Nov. 2nd!

got an email earlier this week for an invite! scheduled for Nov. 2nd!

Wow, I just saw that you were at UTHSC-SA for an interview on Oct. 5 and so was I. I also have a Houston interview on Nov. 2nd. Crazy, what's your name?

any update guys and gals?

Don't worry guys, Houston is known to take their time. I have alot of classmates who were interviewed in December and got in. During the last cycle- I completed my application mid july and interviewed in early october, got my acceptance on Dec 1st. If you haven't heard anything yet, DON'T PANIC. And don't stress out when you read about all these other people interviewing earlier than..it doesn't mean seats are taken up. UTDB gets over 1000 applications and they only interview 15-20 once a week..it takes time.

It's going to be worth it at the end, if you guys get into UTDB- chose UTDB! There are ALOT of advantages to coming here than San Antonio and Baylor.

Msg me if any of you need any advice/tips/help!

UTDB Class of 2013
DAT-19, GPA- 3.5, sGPA- 3.4

@ rooney09: Hello there, classmate! :D

@ UTDB applicants: I have to concur with Rooney here. UTDB rocks!

I noticed the process dates for people who received interview and it seems like my app has been tossed aside by the committee. :scared:

tmdsas verified 8/10
app received email 8/21

I think both of us are in the same boat.
My App was Verified 7/9, but they didnt get my LORs in until 8/14.
I still had an interview at San Antonio before they had my letters,
which confuses me.

I think both of us are in the same boat.
My App was Verified 7/9, but they didnt get my LORs in until 8/14.
I still had an interview at San Antonio before they had my letters,
which confuses me.

there is still hope. I talked to Dr. P and it seems like mine has not been reviewed yet by the committee. It is in queue to be sent for review. So I think we ll have to patiently wait.

It has been pretty quiet on the Houston front these days. Any news from them?

still waiting. I would love to hear from Houston. Anybody with recent interview calls? Are the interviews offered in the sequence applications are being received? or the waiting period can be different for everyone?

don't worry about houston. i just had my interview and dr. p said they are going to interview until end of February. they are only going to send out a FEW offers dec. 1st.

the admissions committee said to be really patient with them and that reviewing an applicant is a VERY LONG process since it goes through several reviews.

hope this helps!!!!