Utility of MPH in rural medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patassa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a non-trad student (currently an engineer) who was recently accepted to my state Medical School of choice. They have a rural track that I've applied for which puts me on the path to do one of 5 primary care specialities and practice in rural Louisiana. I'm most interested in Family Medicine as it would allow me the role in the community and lives of people that I am most interested in pursuing right now.

I'm curious as to the utility or usefulness of obtaining an MPH either during medical school (a combined MD/MPH degree) or through one of the combined residencies out there?

What I have in mind is potentially trying to start programs or at least a weekly newspaper column (etc) on general health care and disease prevention measures that the community at large could take. Maybe discussing things like obesity, diabetes, some forms of cancer, heart disease and recommending lifestyle/cultural changes that people could make to increase their overall health. Just wondering if getting an MPH would be beneficial for these goals, should they not change over the course of my medical school and residency educations? If so, would the best time to obtain said MPH be during medical school or during residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm a non-trad student (currently an engineer) who was recently accepted to my state Medical School of choice. They have a rural track that I've applied for which puts me on the path to do one of 5 primary care specialities and practice in rural Louisiana. I'm most interested in Family Medicine as it would allow me the role in the community and lives of people that I am most interested in pursuing right now.

I'm curious as to the utility or usefulness of obtaining an MPH either during medical school (a combined MD/MPH degree) or through one of the combined residencies out there?

What I have in mind is potentially trying to start programs or at least a weekly newspaper column (etc) on general health care and disease prevention measures that the community at large could take. Maybe discussing things like obesity, diabetes, some forms of cancer, heart disease and recommending lifestyle/cultural changes that people could make to increase their overall health. Just wondering if getting an MPH would be beneficial for these goals, should they not change over the course of my medical school and residency educations? If so, would the best time to obtain said MPH be during medical school or during residency?

The best time to get an MPH depends on you. I would recommend aiming for the cheapest option during a time that wont jeopardize your other academic endeavors.
I personally did a DO/MPH program (4 year total) because the MPH portion was free. I have not noticed many situations where a MPH helps significantly advance the career or goals of physicians. Most physicians I have seen in leadership roles in public health do not have a MPH; they do have a great deal of experience.
In the end, it is probably not worth your while to pursue a MPH if you aren't doing it primarily for intellectual curiosity.

In the end, it is probably not worth your while to pursue a MPH if you aren't doing it primarily for intellectual curiosity.

That would also be my view.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the replies.

I am certainly curious and enjoy learning in general. Some part of me thinks that in addition to having an MD that the MPH would lend some more credibility to any initiatives that I might take in the future community that I practice in. I have no basis for this except for the general trend that creditentials lend credence.

an MPH is helpful if you ever want to be a county health officer...I know a few md, mph folks who do this in addition to clinical practice in rural communities.

Alright, seems like the MPH is unnecessary for my goals currently. Thanks for the responses.

Agree with the others. I'm finishing up my MPH right now. It's good for what I plan to do with it, but from you've talked about wanting to do, it seems like it'd be overkill.

There is absolutely no utility for an MPH in anything as far as I have seen. You think someone will look at your resume at say, 'HOLY **** THIS DUDE HAS GOT A MASTER'S IN PUBLIC HEALTH." It's a pointless degree. I wouldn't get one unless it was given to me for free.

an MPH is helpful if you ever want to be a county health officer...I know a few md, mph folks who do this in addition to clinical practice in rural communities.
True, although these positions would be best served by someone boarded in General Preventive Medicine and Public Health.