UTMB vs. TTUHSC SOM for Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locrian

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed at UTMB and TTUHSC and I can't decide how to rank them.

Made a pros and cons list which seemed to favor TTUHSC.

But now I have to ask which school gets more of its students into good surgical residencies? Particularly orthopedics...

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at UTMB and TTUHSC and I can't decide how to rank them.

Made a pros and cons list which seemed to favor TTUHSC.

But now I have to ask which school gets more of its students into good surgical residencies? Particularly orthopedics...

1. There's a very good chance that you will find another specialty that you love other than surgery, so their match list for just surgery should definitely not be the deciding factor between the two schools.
2. Match lists:

UTMB
TTUHSC

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool thanks for the match lists!

What other factors would you consider?

My pros/cons list:

TECH:
Pros
Block Scheduling
Nice People
Smaller Class Size
Larger Campus (Mixed undergrad/law) i.e. more people to meet
Medical Clubs
**Simulation Center (Mock hospital/1st and 2nd years can learn lots of medical procedures early, also has a surgery simulator)
**If you move to Amerillo 1st assist in Surgeries (No interns or residents in the hospitals) thus personal medical student/attending relationships-->Good Rec letters for Residency
Low Cost of Living
Cool Rec Center (big) /Huge Rock Climbing wall

Cons
Far away from other cities (But going to be studying all the time anyway?)
Lower Ranked School than UTMB (But letters of Rec and Step 1 score only matter….)
Lower Average Step 1 Scores (Doesn't reflect individual performance though)
Only Audio Recorded Lectures
Relocate every 2 years (3 times)
Have to dedicate time to learning spanish (mandatory course)

UTMB
Pros
Block Scheduling
Nice people
**High Average Step 1 Scores
**Problem Based learning
Video Recorded Lectures
Not far away from other cities

Cons
Natural Disaster Risk

Last edited:
TECH:
Pros
Larger Campus (Mixed undergrad/law) i.e. more people to meet

Cons
Far away from other cities (But going to be studying all the time anyway?)

I think these two kind of contradict each other :laugh:

A few other things that you might want to consider - what is the size of the patient base out in West Texas vs. Galveston, and what is the patient volume for TTUHSC's teaching hospitals vs. UTMB's? UTMB also recently inked a partnership with the Texas Medical Center, so it might be worth investigating to see whether or not that partnership will allow you to do some rotations in Houston.

They're both great schools, though. Can't go wrong either way.

what is the size of the patient base out in West Texas vs. Galveston, and what is the patient volume for TTUHSC's teaching hospitals vs. UTMB's?

Where can I find this information out?

Thanks

I've been associated with both institutions. Both medical schools are excellent options that will prepare you well for surgery or any field for that matter.

TT has a better cost of living and less commuting. UTMB students have many distant clinical sites. TT may require you to move after 2 years though. Galveston is closer to a major city. TT provides an undergraduate like experience with the large rec center and athletics tickets. TT with lower living/commuting costs will help you come out with lower debt. TT is isolated in a dirt wasteland.

With the academics being roughly equal, what non-academic factors do you prefer?

Reactions: 1 user
How important is PBL?

Great, thanks for the info! Well knowing that they are both roughly equal academically, I feel TTUHSC is the right choice for me. I guess I was just sweating the rankings and the fact I know people at UTMB.

I really don't like the mandatory spanish >< but I think I can get over it.

I'm partial to TTUHSC and I will be ranking it number one. Remember, Lubbock has the only level one trauma center and burn center in west Texas. So, although the population of Lubbock is smaller, all of the good cases from hundreds of miles get flown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.