UTMB vs. TWU-Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitewave206

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which do you think is a better choice? They are ranked about the same....and I'm having trouble deciding. Any opinions will help, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

TWU - Houston, for one is much more expensive, and the cost of living if you want to live near the school and stay out of crazy traffic is also pricey! TWU is more research based than any other OT program in Texas, so if you are more interested in research I would say go to TWU-Houston. They also have a reputation of being a little more (up-tight) just because they have been around the longest and are highly ranked.

UTMB is an awesome program and the faculty and staff are very friendly. It is also ranked high as well. The program is much more laid back and you do research, but not as structured as TWU-Houston. Cost of living is also a little pricey, but not as bad as downtown houston.

I turned TWU down right away just because I am in no way shape of form wanting to do more research than I absolutely have to! I hope this helps!

I am going to be attending UTMB in the fall. I did not interview at TWU Houston but I did interview in Dallas. I know that the staff at UTMB was much more welcoming then the staff at TWU Dallas. We were not even given the chance to meet everyone there. But this could be completely different for the Houston campus.

Also, like JavOT10 said, TWU is much more research based. So if you plan on doing alot of research during your career this may be a good choice. Personally, im not the biggest fan of research.
Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
You hit the nail on the head RedOT!! Houston was the same way! They did not welcome us, they did not introduce any faculty, nothing!!! Just had us all sit in a room forever, there was a lot of wasted down time!

Last edited: