UW-Madison School of Pharmacy Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Once you are admitted you have access to the directory. It is under the intranet link but you only have access to that once you have a NetID.

Aaah, I see. Thanks for the update!

Members don't see this ad.

I ranked 13th on the wl and haven't got any update after May 1st...

I am a current student at Madison, if anybody is interested in buying some of the required textbooks for next year (P1), I am willing to let them go rather cheap. I have 4-5 of the textbooks. Also, if anybody needs information/help/direction/answers, feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email today said I would be accepted from the wl in next two weeks.

I believe this means there will NOT be a $875/semester tuition'reset' surcharge for the incoming Class of 2017:

The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents has approved a tuition freeze for all students.

The board approved the proposal at its meeting Thursday.

Originally, tuition was only to be frozen for students from Wisconsin attending the university, as required under the recently enacted state budget. But the regents decided to broaden the freeze to include out-of-state and graduate students as well.

A plan to increase tuition in four graduate programs was dropped.

Regents originally proposed a 2 percent tuition hike in each of the next two years, but the Legislature mandated no increase after news broke that UW had a budget surplus that include nearly $650 million from tuition.

The 'four graduate programs' referred to above are Vet, Med, Pharmacy and Business professional/graduate programs.

Has anyone received notifications about scholarship offers yet?

No info yet on any scholarship offers. However, the elimination of the proposed tuition reset of $1750 feels like a scholarship!

Last I heard was that the scholarship committee met several weeks ago, decided on the recipients, and is now gathering information from the UW Foundation on the availability of the funds (depends on factors such as investment earnings, etc) in order to determine the amount of each 2013-2014 scholarship offer.

I also learned that there are about 90 scholarships (money is from outside sources as the SOP is not allowed to use its own money to fund scholarships). However, only about 10 of the 90 scholarships are for incoming DPH-1 students.

Best of luck!

(Did your financial aid package include a $4,000 HPPL loan)?

Regarding scholarship notification for 2013-2014:

If you have been awarded a scholarship, information about it, including a link to the 'congratulations' letter appear.

Can any current students please shed light on the parking situation? I will be commuting. How much is parking and is there a waiting list to get a spot?

Can any current students please shed light on the parking situation? I will be commuting. How much is parking and is there a waiting list to get a spot?
The application process for parking happened a few months ago and the first round of assignments have already been given out. I believe there is now a wait list. You have to fill out an application at this website. http://transportation.wisc.edu/customergroups/student_parking.aspx Depending on the lot you get it is any where from $814 to $1100ish for a year. There are only 4 lots that are allowed to have students park in them I believe and the two closest to the pharmacy building are Lots 59 and Lots 62 which both cost $814

What about Lot 60 right next to the School of Pharmacy? It is huge.

Another idea is to park near any busline on a city street, and take the Madison Metro city bus (students can pick up a free bus pass). For example, park at Hilldale Mall and take the Number 15 bus to campus and then get the 80 on campus to the SoP.

How far are you commuting from?

Another idea is to park near any busline on a city street, and take the Madison Metro city bus (students can pick up a free bus pass). For example, park at Hilldale Mall and take the Number 15 bus to campus and then get the 80 on campus to the SoP.

Here is the email that I received when I applied for parking so Lot 60 is not available:

"Dear Student:

We have reviewed your application and you do qualify for student parking.

You will receive another email on or around Thursday, May 16th, with additional instructions that require action on your part. Please be aware that there will be no student permits assigned in Lot 60 for the 13-14 school year. There are 2 major construction projects that will continue to affect the number of stalls available in that area. The only lots that will available for students are 41($814), 46($869), 59($814), 62($814), and 83($1,164). Please consult the campus map if you are unfamiliar with the location of these lots. http://map.wisc.edu/"

But if you are unable to get parking the suggestion of parking at Hilldale Mall and taking the bus would be a great alternative. I think there is even a bus that goes directly by the pharmacy building so you wouldn't have to take two different busses. I believe it is bus number 2

Last edited:
Oh - right - two large construction projects; I just drove past there yesterday; must be the Children's Hospital and the Nursing School.

I went to University Bookstore to get a required Pharm Sci textbook but the shelf was empty and I was told to go to the University Bookstore location in the Health Sciences building (right across from the SoP) but didn't make it before the 5pm closing time.

Thanks for the suggestion; I might just do this. I will be commuting from the near east side of Madison. Would it be better to just take the city bus from there? I am also considering biking.

And wow I was unaware of how expensive parking is and how limited. Yikes

Thanks for the suggestion; I might just do this. I will be commuting from the near east side of Madison. Would it be better to just take the city bus from there? I am also considering biking.

And wow I was unaware of how expensive parking is and how limited. Yikes
It probably would be better just taking the bus from there or biking. You can always go to google maps and change it to bus directions and type your address and the pharmacy building and see how long it would take by bus from your place. I don't think you would have even been eligible for parking on campus since you have to live more than a mile off the bus routes and outside the city of Madison to be eligible for parking and even then you still might not get one. It kind of sucks that it is so limited since then they are able to charge so much

Near East - like near East H.S.? Just take the bus using your free ASM student bus pass.

Did anyone else notice that the scholarship notification has a deadline of August 15, 2014 to complete the thank you letter and profile? Should this be August 15, 2013???