About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UW - Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by riceowl2012, Mar 25, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. riceowl2012

riceowl2012

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey guys,
    I am pretty close to accepting my offer at UWM (clinical psych PhD) and was just wondering if anyone has any personal experiences from this program or with people who have attended. Whenever I ask people I know in psychology they say "Oh that's a great program. Wait, not Madison, never mind" which isn't too helpful.

Any words about Milwaukee would be great too, as it's going to be a big change for me (although one I am excited for!).

Thanks so much in advance! (also I did do a search and couldn't find anything, but if I missed something, please direct me there)
  2. rlw23

rlw23 First Year Clinical Psychology Ph.D. student

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    **Hopefully I am not burying my own grave here! I am still on the "professor wait-list", waiting for a specific person to decline to a specific professor before my POI can make an offer to me. I hope this person isn't you!

Honestly, UWM is an EXCELLENT program. If an offer was made to me, I would accept immediately.

I'm finishing up my Ugrad at Marquette University in Milwaukee, and I can tell you that Milwaukee is an awesome place to live. I absolutely LOVE it here and will be terribly sad to leave. The summer time is especially notable. The lakefront is beautiful. The Third Ward, Brady Street, the music scene... The cheap cost of living (relative to Chicago), only being a short distance from Chicago. The diversity of the city.

Obviously I don't where you are moving from, but I can tell you Milwaukee is great and UWM's program is top notch. The only flaw is that it isn't more well known.

Please let me know if you have any more specific questions I could answer about the city.
  3. 4410

Go for it---I lived 20 miles South of Milwaukee for two-years and absolutely loved the area. People are very friendly and social...not like Chicago and the Air Port is much easier to get into and out of. I was going to attend the Wisconsin School of Professional Psychology at that time in my life but my life situation changed and I left the area for Texas. Only drawback is the winters but they always keep the roads clean so you never have snow days.
  4. deluxedeluxe

deluxedeluxe

Psychology Student
    I will most likely be attending the school psych program there! I'm an alternate to another program, but I doubt I will get in. I went to Madison as an undergrad, so I am fairly familiar with Milwaukee. It's a great program and an amazing city. If you have any questions about the city itself, let me know. I'm currently trying to find an apartment right now, and I'm excited to start living there.
  5. riceowl2012

riceowl2012

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Awesome! I am currently trying to finish my finals and thesis and then I'm going to be on the apartment hunt as well. I will probably have so many questions, so I'll likely be pm-ing you at some point, just so you know :)