UW or FA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfgavina

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
FA says that the main toxicity of L-dopa is arrhythmias, but when I got a question on the issue in UW they say that the main adverse effect is anxiety and agitation... And tachyarrhythmias was one of the options, so I picked it. Does L-dopa cause any kind of arrhythmia other than tachy as well as anxiety and agitation? even if it does I think FA should be corrected on this issue because it is very inespecific by only telling us that it causes arrhythmias.

who's got it right?

edit: they say "what effect is most likely to arise after adding carbidopa to a levodopa therapy?"

I hope someone can explain me this one!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the tachyarrythmia (d1 receptors - i'm assuming) is more an effect of PERIPHERAL conversion. But when you give carbidopa alongside levodopa you are eliminating all of the peripheral effects. I annotated the anx/agitation into my FA because that's a central effect, and you'd still get that if you prevented peripheral conversion with carbidopa.

I think the tachyarrythmia (d1 receptors - i'm assuming) is more an effect of PERIPHERAL conversion. But when you give carbidopa alongside levodopa you are eliminating all of the peripheral effects. I annotated the anx/agitation into my FA because that's a central effect, and you'd still get that if you prevented peripheral conversion with carbidopa.

this is correct. :thumbup: