UW Pre med Biochem advice?

Lili8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to go to the University of Washington and major in biochemistry. What do you need to do to get into this major (once you've already been accepted into the school)? Should I take honors general chem, even though I will not have taken AP Chem (I'll have taken AP Physics B instead)? Would I be better off taking honors physics (at the same time as regular general chem?) Should I start biology as a freshman to try for early admission, or should I wait for regular admission? What is the average gpa of people who make it into the major? Is doing research (chem 199/299) during the school year sophomore year important for getting into the biochem major? Thank you so much to anyone who can help with this!

Members don't see this ad.

These are all very specific questions that can be best answered by WashU's admissions, so I'd suggest calling or e-mailing them. Generally speaking you can declare whatever major you want unless it is a special program, however I don't believe that would be the case in this situation. I'm not sure how old you are, but my advice is to take things one step at a time. If you're a freshman in high school there is no reason for you to be so focused on what you're going to major in at college. Focus on the classes you're in now and worry about your major when the time comes.

It almost sounds as if you are writing this as someone who hasn't even started High School. Live your lif dude. Honestly.

Try and get good grades. Takes Honors classes. And take as many APs as you are comfortable with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Lili8, I am going to be a senior at the University of Washington this fall and I'm an orientation leader this summer.

Biochemistry is not an extremely competitive major, they usually have a very high acceptance rate (80%+). You definitely do not need research. I would recommend against taking honors general chemistry or physics--just take the normal versions, especially if you're premed and especially if you haven't taken AP Chem/Physics. Grades are simply more important in applying to medical school and the regular courses cover all of the content that is tested on the MCAT.

Once you get to campus simply meet with an advisor from the Biochemistry department and they can give you tips on what to do in order to get into the major. Overall I wouldn't sweat it though.

I'm hoping to go to the University of Washington and major in biochemistry. What do you need to do to get into this major (once you've already been accepted into the school)?

As I recall, there really isn't much of "getting into the major." You do need a certain GPA (a 3.0, perhaps?), but as long as you have that, you more or less "sign up."

Should I take honors general chem, even though I will not have taken AP Chem (I'll have taken AP Physics B instead)? Would I be better off taking honors physics (at the same time as regular general chem?)

As someone who was a member of the UW Honors program at one point, I can tell you that, in general, honors classes are a mixed bag. Find out who is teaching the class and what the curve will be. Nowadays, that kind of information is probably online on one the many professor-ranking websites out there (those kinds of things didn't exist back when I attended UW). If the class is "curved up," so to speak, the it might be worth taking the honors courses. Otherwise, don't waste your time. The number one important factor in getting into medical school is NUMBERS. Schools really don't care all that much if you took honors classes, so don't make it unnecessarily difficult to get high numbers. Don't take honors physics. Take algebra physics--it is MUCH easier. Honors physics is calculus-based, and you don't need that. Just make it as easy on yourself as possible to get the highest numbers possible.

Should I start biology as a freshman to try for early admission, or should I wait for regular admission?

No, don't take biology as a freshman. In fact, I'm not even sure if you can take it as a frosh. I think Chemistry is a pre-req.

What is the average gpa of people who make it into the major?

As I mentioned previously, there really is no "making it in" as there is in engineering, CS, or business. You more or less just sign up.

Is doing research (chem 199/299) during the school year sophomore year important for getting into the biochem major?

No, but as someone who performed a considerable about of research in college at the UW, I would recommend not doing research in the chem department. The reason is that is is P/F. Other departments offer graded research, and it is almost always a guaranteed 4.0 (ie, clapping for credit). When you have taken chemistry and biology, I would recommend finding some research to do in one of the medical departments (not hard to do) that is graded. It is usually understood that you get a 4.0 as long as you show up and do what is expected of you.

That said, just focus on your grades and get the highest ones possible. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help with this!

good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
^^ Biochemistry is a competitive major at the UW now and has been for a few years. The Biology major itself was just made competitive over the summer. Chemistry is a competitive major as well.

I second the bit about looking into professors, for UW specific information check out the course catalog (archive of course surveys that students take at the end of a class): washington.edu/cec. The line about "grading techniques" could potentially give you information about the curve, otherwise ask other students who have taken the course before.