UWORLD for shelf exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justAstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started rotations and was wondering if people use UWORLD to study for shelf exams. If so, do you guys do questions without reading any books and try to just learn from the explanations? How are you guys using this during the year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I just started rotations and was wondering if people use UWORLD to study for shelf exams. If so, do you guys do questions without reading any books and try to just learn from the explanations? How are you guys using this during the year?

1. Watch shelf specific onlinemeded videos
2. Read shelf specific text
3. Do shelf specific UWorld questions

Reactions: 5 users
Depending on how busy your rotation is, you may not have much time to read books. I use UWorld in tutor mode as my primary study tool - basically, I treat it as an interactive textbook - and supplement it by reading on my patients on UptoDate, watching OnlineMedEd for bird's view topic overview +/- reading textbooks/review books if I have time. Eg. I barely read any Step Up to Medicine during my very busy medicine rotation but did UWorld and OnlineMedEd + tried to learn as much as I could from my patients, and it worked just fine for me. YMMY though, and how well you do on shelves also seems to depend on whether you are a good standardized test taker and whether your basic science background is strong (believe it or not, it matters, especially with things like random questions about nerves or neurotransmitters on OBGYN shelf, I kid you not!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on how busy your rotation is, you may not have much time to read books. I use UWorld in tutor mode as my primary study tool - basically, I treat it as an interactive textbook - and supplement it by reading on my patients on UptoDate, watching OnlineMedEd for bird's view topic overview +/- reading textbooks/review books if I have time. Eg. I barely read any Step Up to Medicine during my very busy medicine rotation but did UWorld and OnlineMedEd + tried to learn as much as I could from my patients, and it worked just fine for me. YMMY though, and how well you do on shelves also seems to depend on whether you are a good standardized test taker and whether your basic science background is strong (believe it or not, it matters, especially with things like random questions about nerves or neurotransmitters on OBGYN shelf, I kid you not!)

Thanks!

I finished Peds a couple weeks ago and only studied from uworld...I was in the 98th percentile on my exam. Looked at a few case files but found it to be totally useless for the shelf exam so I'd just stick to uworld (at least for Peds)

Oh and I did uworld in tutor mode in case that helps

I've been doing some pretest peds questions, but don't know if I'm doing it right. I feel like I'm guessing on a decent number of questions since I didn't learn the material. It's beyond the scope of step 1 material I learned. Am I supposed to keep guessing and then reading over the explanations to learn the material?

I've been doing some pretest peds questions, but don't know if I'm doing it right. I feel like I'm guessing on a decent number of questions since I didn't learn the material. It's beyond the scope of step 1 material I learned. Am I supposed to keep guessing and then reading over the explanations to learn the material?
Have you watched the onlinemeded videos? I used them as the framework to build upon.

Reactions: 1 user
Onlinemeded is pure gold.

I'm planning on doing OnlineMedEd the weekend/first week of every rotation, hoping that will be my ace-in-the hole #GungnamStyle

1. Watch shelf specific onlinemeded videos
2. Read shelf specific text
3. Do shelf specific UWorld questions
Literally all you need. And on several rotations you don't even need the shelf specific text (family, neuro, IM)

High 80s to low 90s raw on every shelf with just the above.

Do you guys recommend going for the paid version of onlinemed? Or are the videos enough? Is the paid audio the same as the audio from the videos? Thanks a lot everyone! :)

Last edited:
Do you guys recommend going for the paid version of onlinemed? Or are the videos enough? Is the paid audio the same as the audio from the videos? Thanks a lot everyone! :)
The audio is the same as the videos

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Onlinemeded is pure gold.

I'm planning on doing OnlineMedEd the weekend/first week of every rotation, hoping that will be my ace-in-the hole #GungnamStyle
are these meded videos free or do you have to pay? I haven't heard of this

are these meded videos free or do you have to pay? I haven't heard of this
"At onlinemeded the videos are free, but if you want to get the most..." (C) https://onlinemeded.org

It surprises me when people won't Google for even the simplest information by themselves. (Grumble grumble) Kids these days.

PS - Being able - and taking initiative - to find information is a useful skill on the wards. Don't expect to be spoon fed on your clinical rotations (with rare exceptions).

Reactions: 2 users
Any advice for UW approach for surgery? Surgery only has ~150 questions so Im also going to do the ~150 GI medicine questions as well. So far it seems like the GI medicine questions are the core things that are covered in general surgery.

I have a question relating the UWorld. I'm in my first rotation of 3rd year and it happens to be Internal Medicine. I've been doing UWorld questions and I have about 450 left from the 1400+ Medicine category. I'm getting worried though because my percentages aren't ideal. My overall is measly 65% which puts me in the 45th percentile. I did well on Step 1 (253) and so I'm not used to struggling with UWorld like I am right now. Should I be worried? I just discovered OnlineMedEd a few days ago and I love it so I plan to supplement my studying with that as well.

Has anyone else struggled on UWorld during their first rotation?

I have a question relating the UWorld. I'm in my first rotation of 3rd year and it happens to be Internal Medicine. I've been doing UWorld questions and I have about 450 left from the 1400+ Medicine category. I'm getting worried though because my percentages aren't ideal. My overall is measly 65% which puts me in the 45th percentile. I did well on Step 1 (253) and so I'm not used to struggling with UWorld like I am right now. Should I be worried? I just discovered OnlineMedEd a few days ago and I love it so I plan to supplement my studying with that as well.

Has anyone else struggled on UWorld during their first rotation?
If you are like me then you are using UW more as a primary resource that you are learning from in MS3, so I think its normal. I scored very high as well and my first pass UW for Step 1 was ~75-80% but I am lower for the Step 2 bank because these questions are the first time Im seeing much of the information.

If you are like me then you are using UW more as a primary resource that you are learning from in MS3, so I think its normal. I scored very high as well and my first pass UW for Step 1 was ~75-80% but I am lower for the Step 2 bank because these questions are the first time Im seeing much of the information.

Yeah UW is my main source of studying for this exam. I plan to finish the IM questions this week and then go over the ones I missed and then get through MKSAP as much as possible while watching those OnlineMedEd videos.

Bumping this very underrated thread.

So what's the consensus:

Peds: uworld+blue prints+ case files
Surgery: pestanas+ NMS + uworld+ online meded
Family med: AAFP + case files+online med Ed
IM: uworld+uworld+uworld+online meded+ SUTM if you have a cushy IM rotation at your school
Obgyn: online meded+case files+ uworld
Psych: first aid for psych+ online meded+ case files

??

Reactions: 1 user
These are the resources I used (rotations are in chronological order that I had them):

1) Family med: AAFP questions + Case Files + Step-Up to Medicine
- Shelf score: 88 (national percentile rank [NPR]: 73)

2) OB/GYN: uWISE + Case Files + OnlineMedEd + UWorld + PreTest
- Shelf score: 99 (NPR: 96)

3) Pediatrics: UWorld + OnlineMedEd + PreTest + Emma Holliday review
- Shelf score: 98 (NPR: 92)

4) Psychiatry: UWorld + OnlineMedEd + Lange Q&A + First Aid for the Psychiatry Clerkship + Emma Holliday review
- Shelf score: 96 (NPR: 92)

5) IM: UWorld + OnlineMedEd + Emma Holliday review
- Shelf score: 100 (NPR: 100)

6) Surgery: UWorld + OnlineMedEd + Dr. Pestana's Surgery Notes + Emma Holliday review

UWorld and OnlineMedEd were by far the most useful resources. I took NBME practice exams for a lot of them too. Not sure how much they helped.

Reactions: 3 users
These are the resources I used (rotations are in chronological order that I had them):

1) Family med: AAFP questions + Case Files + Step-Up to Medicine
- Shelf score: 88 (national percentile rank [NPR]: 73)

2) OB/GYN: uWISE + Case Files + OnlineMedEd + UWorld + PreTest
- Shelf score: 99 (NPR: 96)

3) Pediatrics: UWorld + OnlineMedEd + PreTest + Emma Holliday review
- Shelf score: 98 (NPR: 92)

4) Psychiatry: UWorld + OnlineMedEd + Lange Q&A + First Aid for the Psychiatry Clerkship + Emma Holliday review
- Shelf score: 96 (NPR: 92)

5) IM: UWorld + OnlineMedEd + Emma Holliday review

6) Surgery: UWorld + OnlineMedEd + Dr. Pestana's Surgery Notes + Emma Holliday review

UWorld and OnlineMedEd were by far the most useful resources. I took NBME practice exams for a lot of them too. Not sure how much they helped.

For online meded did you only do the IM ones to prep for IM and only the surgery ones to prep for surgery? Because I feel like both are important for the IM shelf.

For Emma Holliday, when did you hit up her review? Towards the end of the clerkship or the day before the shelf?