VA Break in Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eremitestar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you working in the VA system. I completed a VA internship, and am in the process of finishing up a VA postdoc. I have a VA job lined up for when I'm done, and I was supposed to start at that hospital right after completing my postdoc. However, my start date has now been pushed back about 6 weeks, which means I'll have a break in service. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and how big a deal it really is. I know my accrued vacation time will be paid out, and that I'll need to speak with my health insurance provider about what to do about that gap. Are there any other problems that might come up down the line? I know that leave accrual increases after three years. Will the two years I've already got count, or will I have to start over? Is it worth looking into unemployment benefits for those 6 weeks? What about the TMS trainings that are good for multiple years? My BLS/CPR will expire at the end of the summer. Is it worth renewing, or will I just have to do it again after the break? Also, my postdoc site has already said that they do not let people go on leave without pay to avoid a break in service, so that's not an option. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a gap like that in between internship and post doc. No problems other than the loss of income and having to redo fingerprinting/the PIV process (ugh). TMS should go through if you give the new site your username, mine did. The VA has a COBRA-like option that you can use for health insurance, just talk to HR about it. I'm not sure if leave accrual starts over. They were able to transfer my sick leave over, which was great.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Is your job at the same facility as your postdoc, or will you be transferring facilities?

Either way, your sick leave should transfer, but it may not transfer automatically. In my experience this often falls through the cracks unless you stay on top of HR to make sure that your leave is actually transferred. Even if you're staying at the same facility, I would suggest letting HR know that your SL will be coming with you into the new job, and monitoring mypay to be sure that your accrued SL shows up within the first couple of pay periods. If it doesn't, keep bugging HR until it gets worked out. The last time I moved facilities, my SL didn't move automatically but HR took care of it within a few weeks; however, a friend at the same facility had to bother HR for several months to get it done. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As others have said, lots of stuff transfers. SL transferred. TMS was easy. Even my PIV transferred okay! Email may not, so save anything you really need.

I've heard from others that my time towards leave accrual increase will include internship and postdoc but who knows. I guess I'll find out in a year!

Enjoy your time off, and good luck!

Time towards leave accrual does include both internship and postdoc; mine happened automatically, but you may need to get on HR about internship. Postdoc seems to be more easily/automatically handled.

And agree with psychRA RE: staying on HR about transferring SL. I didn't have a break between fellowship and work, so I went through the transfer process at the same time as I outprocessed of my postdoc VA. However, SL would've transferred either way, you just sometimes have to keep requesting it until it happens.

Thanks so much for all the tips! I'll make sure to stay on top of HR and make sure everything transfers over!