VA Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Versed06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those people who are employed at a VAMC where EDRP is available, have you ever heard of pharmacists qualifying for student loan repayment when they've had their loans refinanced through a family member? I don't think it's possible, but I wanted to know if there's a chance in case I get hired later. I had my dad pay the remaining $20,000 of my student loan from Great Lakes and I'm paying him back at a lower interest rate. It'd be great if it were a possibility.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, this will not be an option for you:
http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=2700

Educational loans that qualify for coverage under EDRP are limited to Government (Federal, state, local) and commercial loans for health professional education and must be in the name of the individual who applies for an EDRP award. Additionally, the health professional education covered by such a loan must have been specific education that was required, used and qualified the participant for appointment to a specific position in one of the occupations listed in subparagraphs 3b(1) through 3b(36). The degree must be from an accredited school or program.
The following loans do not qualify for coverage under the EDRP (there are some others, but these seem to apply to your situation):
- Loans obtained from family members, relatives, and friends.
- Loans that have been consolidated with loans of other individuals, such as spouses, children, friends, or other family members.

Agreed. In addition, EDRP is now being phased out. Most new positions I see do not have it, as pharmacists are not in demand anymore.