VA General Schedule (GS) and Steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balmoral

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would like some clarification for those that work as psychologists in the VA.

-If one is hired as a licensed psychologist, regardless of specialty (e.g., neuropsychology), the starting rate is GS 12 or GS 13, Step 1 (assuming the lowest hiring rate/position)? Will having a 1-year post doc start at GS 12/2-year post doc GS 13?

-For every year of service, does one automatically upgrade a step? I read in another thread that the annual upgrade is 2 (e.g., step 1 for the first year, step 3 the second, etc.). I assume this schedule continues until the steps max out until 10?

-For those with ABPP, how many steps does it allow for an upgrade? I also understand this is not cumulative (extra steps the more ABPP you get)?

-Are there also other upgrades related to organizational leadership positions (e.g., APA, APS, INS)?

Thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on what position you apply for. If the position says grade 11/12/13, then you could get hired unlicensed out of internship as a GS 11, get bumped up to a GS12 once licensed, and then a GS 13 after another year.

If the position says GS12, you will need to be licensed to be eligible. If it only says GS12, then there is no guarantee you would be able to go to GS13.

If the position is GS13, you will need to be licensed (in any state) and have an additional year of experience when licensed to qualify.

Regarding the post-doc, I believe they will only consider increasing your step if it is a VA post-doc. Regarding the latter, however, the VA post-doc will count towards retirement, but will not necessarily allow you to start at a higher GS step.

As for step increase, so nicely summarized from WIKI "The normal progression is 52 weeks (one year) between steps 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4, then 104 weeks (two years) between steps 4-5, 5-6, and 6-7, and finally 156 weeks (three years) between steps 7-8, 8-9, and 9-10."

If you receive ABPP, you can bump up one step-grade. It would be beneficial to do this later in your career due to the longer gaps between step increases. Though if you will also be doing private practice, you would likely want this sooner.

While salaries can max out, the VA allows for the potential for flex schedules (4 10 hour days) if approved by your superior, so you could work other jobs on that fifth day. Also, the health plans and retirement plans are pretty amazing (so long as our government doesn't collapse in 40 years).

It depends on what position you apply for. If the position says grade 11/12/13, then you could get hired unlicensed out of internship as a GS 11, get bumped up to a GS12 once licensed, and then a GS 13 after another year.

If the position says GS12, you will need to be licensed to be eligible. If it only says GS12, then there is no guarantee you would be able to go to GS13.

If the position is GS13, you will need to be licensed (in any state) and have an additional year of experience when licensed to qualify.

Regarding the post-doc, I believe they will only consider increasing your step if it is a VA post-doc. Regarding the latter, however, the VA post-doc will count towards retirement, but will not necessarily allow you to start at a higher GS step.

As for step increase, so nicely summarized from WIKI "The normal progression is 52 weeks (one year) between steps 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4, then 104 weeks (two years) between steps 4-5, 5-6, and 6-7, and finally 156 weeks (three years) between steps 7-8, 8-9, and 9-10."

If you receive ABPP, you can bump up one step-grade. It would be beneficial to do this later in your career due to the longer gaps between step increases. Though if you will also be doing private practice, you would likely want this sooner.

While salaries can max out, the VA allows for the potential for flex schedules (4 10 hour days) if approved by your superior, so you could work other jobs on that fifth day. Also, the health plans and retirement plans are pretty amazing (so long as our government doesn't collapse in 40 years).

Does anyone know if this is the same for the BOP? It was explained vaguely to me once and this is much clearer. I'm wondering if there are any differences there though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Step increases also depend on each local psychology standards board at each VA. For example, my VA gives step increases for publishing papers (as first author), holding professorship at a university, being involved in APA, etc. It just all depends on what your local standards board determines to be worthy of step increases.

Thanks for clarifying! It's good to know that should I remain at the VA for another year, I will automatically go up to GS 13. Good thing we don't have to go through the same step schedule from 12 to 13.

Didn't think WIKI had the step information... should have known better. I see how obtaining ABPP later in the schedule is more beneficial. I wonder if it's possible to get one and not "credit" it and obtain a subsequent ABPP later on and count that...

Shutterbug: Thanks for that since I also heard some merit step increases. I assume that information can be obtained from the respective VA chiefs?

Thanks for clarifying! It's good to know that should I remain at the VA for another year, I will automatically go up to GS 13. Good thing we don't have to go through the same step schedule from 12 to 13.

You'll want to talk to your HR person (or similar) because I'm not sure if that is an automatic bump, as they have "steps" to address continued service within the VA system. The increase from 12 to 13 is a significant one, and your dept/line would have to account for that increase out of their budget.

You'll want to talk to your HR person (or similar) because I'm not sure if that is an automatic bump, as they have "steps" to address continued service within the VA system. The increase from 12 to 13 is a significant one, and your dept/line would have to account for that increase out of their budget.

Agreed. I think it's more of an "automatic" thing when you're dealing with a pre-hire situation (e.g., a position is listed as GS 11/12/13 and they're determining whether your prior training and experience are most consistent with 12 or 13). I also believe the 11 to 12 bump might be fairly automatic. But automatically going from 12 to 13 after one year of service, that I don't know.

Shutterbug: Thanks for that since I also heard some merit step increases. I assume that information can be obtained from the respective VA chiefs?

Correct. You should be able to get the information or document from your service chief or maybe an HR representative.

Agreed. I think it's more of an "automatic" thing when you're dealing with a pre-hire situation (e.g., a position is listed as GS 11/12/13 and they're determining whether your prior training and experience are most consistent with 12 or 13). I also believe the 11 to 12 bump might be fairly automatic. But automatically going from 12 to 13 after one year of service, that I don't know.

13 requires a license, folks.

Does anyone know if this is the same for the BOP? It was explained vaguely to me once and this is much clearer. I'm wondering if there are any differences there though?

Yes, it is the same for the BOP. As an current intern, I can be hired at an 11. After approximately one year, I can move up to a GS 12. GS 13 is (typically) reserved for coordinator positions. At this time, the BOP does not require licensure, even for GS 13s. However, there is a push to change this.

Yes, it is the same for the BOP. As an current intern, I can be hired at an 11. After approximately one year, I can move up to a GS 12. GS 13 is (typically) reserved for coordinator positions. At this time, the BOP does not require licensure, even for GS 13s. However, there is a push to change this.

So you can work in a fed prison your whole career and never get licensed?!

So you can work in a fed prison your whole career and never get licensed?!

As of now, yes. Although I believe you need to be licensed to be Chief. I know they are trying to change this for the GS 13s, but it hasn't gone through yet. I currently work with two coordinators/GS 13s who are not licensed.

Members don't see this ad :)
... But automatically going from 12 to 13 after one year of service, that I don't know.

Okay, just want to clarify because earlier on the thread it read:

I am at a 1-year VA post doc now, and if all goes well, I should get my license after I finish. I assume I should be eligible for at least a GS 12 position. If the position I am hired for is an 11/12/13 position, my understanding from what neuronic stated is that I would move up to a GS 13 rate after 1 year of work as a GS 12?

I am at a 1-year VA post doc now, and if all goes well, I should get my license after I finish. I assume I should be eligible for at least a GS 12 position. If the position I am hired for is an 11/12/13 position, my understanding from what neuronic stated is that I would move up to a GS 13 rate after 1 year of work as a GS 12?

From what I've heard, that's often the case, although I don't know if that's necessarily a VA-wide rule, or if it's just common practice across the VAs in which I've worked. As T4C mentioned, checking with HR and/or your potential supervisors would probably be your best bet.

From what I've heard, that's often the case, although I don't know if that's necessarily a VA-wide rule, or if it's just common practice across the VAs in which I've worked. As T4C mentioned, checking with HR and/or your potential supervisors would probably be your best bet.

Thanks, just because it's the norm it might not be the rule. Will keep that in mind with the VA positions I have been looking at.

I appreciate all the help everyone.

Okay, just want to clarify because earlier on the thread it read:

So long as the position you originally applied for was a GS12/G13, you are licensed, perform satisfactorily on requirements, and meet fully satisfactory on your performance appraisal, than most likely you will be recommended for the grade increase. As others have said, checking with HR during the hiring process is necessary to make sure you are aware of all the requirements.

For neuropsych folks - you come in at GS-13 after the two year fellowship, right? My PSB came back with a GS-12 recommendation though I'm sure I meet the requirements for GS-13 as I am licensed and did a two year post doc. My certificate of the completed fellowship is in the mail, so I'm wondering if thats the hold up. Service chief is working on that and I have three weeks so hopefully it will be updated to 13 by then.

For neuropsych folks - you come in at GS-13 after the two year fellowship, right? My PSB came back with a GS-12 recommendation though I'm sure I meet the requirements for GS-13 as I am licensed and did a two year post doc. My certificate of the completed fellowship is in the mail, so I'm wondering if thats the hold up. Service chief is working on that and I have three weeks so hopefully it will be updated to 13 by then.

Yep, you should be a 13 if you completed the 2-year postdoc. I'd stand pretty firm on that one, it's a pretty sizable salary difference.

Yep, and I'm already taking less than a previous offer even at 13. This is fine, as I want the job and the location, though I'm not budging on the 13.

I'm thinking that either it was a typo or that they are waiting on the official word from my post doc. Service chief is on it and I'll be checking in every day.

I'm glad I called about it today before my contract was finalized. Never assume anything with the VA, folks.

Yep, and I'm already taking less than a previous offer even at 13. This is fine, as I want the job and the location, though I'm not budging on the 13.

I'm thinking that either it was a typo or that they are waiting on the official word from my post doc. Service chief is on it and I'll be checking in every day.

I'm glad I called about it today before my contract was finalized. Never assume anything with the VA, folks.

Yeah, HR is spotty in the VA, I just always assume they'll f something up, so I stay on top of any personnel action.

To qualify for a GS-13 position that is correct….though if a position is posted at a GS-12 with no allowance for GS-13….then you won't go higher than a GS-12 without a change in your job requirements and budgeting, which seems like an uphill battle from what little I've seen with it.

To qualify for a GS-13 position that is correct….though if a position is posted at a GS-12 with no allowance for GS-13….then you won't go higher than a GS-12 without a change in your job requirements and budgeting, which seems like an uphill battle from what little I've seen with it.

Very true, although I'd be surprised if any position posted for a psychologist (let alone neuropsychologist) would be capped at a 12. But like T4C mentions, anything listed (or not listed) in the job posting is gospel, and changing it generally isn't possible. 13 is the full grade for psychologists VA-wide, though

Also, I'm guessing so, but has your fellowship been a full two calendar years (i.e., down to the day)? If not, that could be a problem. And if you're still in the process of finishing it, unfortunately, it may be the case that they'll need to hire you on as a 12 for the time being (since, as of the time you applied, that's what you met criteria for), and then immediately bump you up to a 13 after two weeks (I had to do something similar to this). This can vary from VA to VA, depending on what their actual criteria for a 13 are (e.g., some places don't stipulate 2 years' worth of experience, just that you're capable of advanced independent practice).

Position is staff neuropsychologist, so its listed as 12-13. Fellowship was from 8/12/13 to 8/11/15. I suppose I could handle two weeks at a 12, though it seems silly that they would jerk me around like this as I was recruited for the position.

When was your phd issued/conferred? It should be two years from that date that you are gs 13 eligible (so long as your licensed and were working during that time). Your specific fellowship start and end date should be irrelevant.

Definitely has been over two years since then as well.

True, but I've never seen a psychologist position posted capped at 12. Most are 11-13 range. Frankly, I would never apply for a 12 capped position, especially as a neuropsychologist, way too limiting of a salary cap there.