VA Hiring Time Frame for Psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balmoral

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently applied for a few VA positions and I would like to know if people can provide feedback as to how long it takes for HR to respond if I was chosen/not chosen for a position.

I know the hiring process is very fast for the VA and they typically only have 2 weeks to interview and review references once the position is closed. When I've followed up with HR they always tell me that an update to USA jobs will be made but there have been a couple positions that I applied for some time ago and I didn't receive a response.

Can anyone provide any feedback to any VA hiring experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone provide any feedback to any VA hiring experience?

I have only interviewed with one VA, so YMMV. It only took 3 wks from the time I submitted my app to when I received an offer...BUT...per the HR rep it would have been at least 2-3 months until I realistically could start working because of the paperwork, background checks, hospital privileges, etc.

The flip-side is that I've seen people get contacted months after submitting an application and receive an offer 3-6 months from when they first applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. I actually had the situation when HR did not forward my application to MH... unfortunately it was already a couple of weeks and the position was probably already filled by the time they acted.

I've interviewed at a couple of VAs and the interviewers already reported about a 2 week window for them to provide HR a list and then HR reaches out to the applicants. When I've called HR they said they will update the status on USA Jobs...

T4C, you received the official offer from an HR staff though not from the department correct?

T4C, you received the official offer from an HR staff though not from the department correct?

Yes. I remember thinking it was odd that I found out via a random HR person and not the Director. I ultimately declined the offer, so I can't speak to how long it took from acceptance to start date.