VA Job as a Counseling Psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UhOh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in working at the VA after obtaining my PhD. I'm wondering if it would be possible to work at the VA with a degree in Counseling Psychology (as opposed to Clinical)? Would a Clinical Psychology degree be better suited for this type of work? Does anybody know of people who have gotten internships or jobs at VA centers with a degree in Counseling Psychology? Alternatively, does anyone know whether the VA primarily looks for Clinical degrees?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for all VA's but the one I am at is open to clinical or counseling PhDs. In fact, our intern class is about half and half. With that said, our TD is very direct in encouraging the counseling psych students in particular to gain additional research experience through mini-rotations while here if they want to stay in the system. Our site, however, has no PsyD's on staff (not sure if that is a selection rule, but with 45+ psychologists on staff it doesn't seem to be a coincidence). On the other hand, the VA where I trained prior to internship had a PsyD neuropsychologist but no counseling PhDs.... so really the most direct answer I can give you is that the clinical PhD seems to be preferred, but that other doctorate degrees are represented to varying degrees depending on the facility.

Thanks, O Gurl, for sharing this information! One question: What is a TD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hehe...Sorry. I was in jargon mode- training director.

My VA was half and half, though it skewed very much toward Ph.Ds (23 of 25 psychologists). The ratios will vary by VA location; we happened to be near some awesome counseling Ph.D. programs.

My mother works for the national office of disease prevention and health promotion for the VA in Durham, NC (she worked for over 25 at the hospital as a RN, and then a nurse educator) . If you are interested PM me and I can give you her personal email (after discussing it with her). I know she works with one of the head psychologist of the VA; perhaps she would be willing to get you in contact with him? Could help answer some of those questions and potentially get your foot in the door.

Walt

Thanks so much for your replies! I also have another, related question. Does your research interest need to be related to VA work (e.g., maybe, PTSD?) if you want to work at the VA? My research interest is parent and peer relationships, so I don't know if, say in an interview, it would look strange to say I'd like to work at the VA when my research interest is not related. If I were to apply for internship at the VA, would they care what my research interest is?

Thanks so much for your replies! I also have another, related question. Does your research interest need to be related to VA work (e.g., maybe, PTSD?) if you want to work at the VA? My research interest is parent and peer relationships, so I don't know if, say in an interview, it would look strange to say I'd like to work at the VA when my research interest is not related. If I were to apply for internship at the VA, would they care what my research interest is?

Well, it would certainly help if your interest fit neatly with active VA research topics, like trauma, SMI, TBI, geriatrics, and substance dependence. But I do not think having different interests is a deal breaker--esp. if you can somehow tie it in to existing hot topics and emerging ones. At my current site, research in health psychology and women's issues is seeing a big boom. Thus, a fellow intern with a history of eating disorders research was able to swing it. In your case, I could imagine psychologists in our women's health clinic, OEF/IEF trauma clinic, or female inpatient unit being interested in parent-child relationships. Esp. for young parents trying to reconnect after deployment.

Well, it would certainly help if your interest fit neatly with active VA research topics, like trauma, SMI, TBI, geriatrics, and substance dependence. But I do not think having different interests is a deal breaker--esp. if you can somehow tie it in to existing hot topics and emerging ones. At my current site, research in health psychology and women's issues is seeing a big boom. Thus, a fellow intern with a history of eating disorders research was able to swing it. In your case, I could imagine psychologists in our women's health clinic, OEF/IEF trauma clinic, or female inpatient unit being interested in parent-child relationships. Esp. for young parents trying to reconnect after deployment.
I agree with O Gurl. I'm applying for internship right now (as a Clinical Phd student) and my research interests include mental health stigma and cancer pain (not together), nothing related specifically to PTSD or veterans. I would recommend getting some practicum experience in the area of trauma (VA if possible!) which may give you an edge. I really believe that my clinical experience working in trauma in general (not military specific) helped me get several interviews at well-recognized VAs. And the word on the street is that if you match with a VA for internship, it really helps you with getting post-docs and faculty position at the same VA or another VA in the country.

Also if you are interested in finding out which VA favors counseling psychologists, you can download their pre-doc internship brochure. Most of them will provide a mini bio of each psychologist on staff (or on training committee) and it should tell you who has a PhD-Clinical vs Ph-D Counseling vs PsyD.

Hi UhOh! My husband trained at two VAs (internship and post-doc) and is now employed at a third. There are several counseling PhDs on staff (a minority but a significant number of them...maybe one-third?), with no differences in the duties they hold as opposed to the clinical PhDs. Experience at VAs (in externships) during training is a plus, but the big thing is to get a VA internship at the end of training. Individuals who have worked within the VA system are definitely given preference for hiring (because they are familiar with VA systems, charting and all), and time spent in internship / post-doc is also sometimes counted in the 'extras' you get as an employee (such as pay grade, time off, parking, etc). My husband has noticed a recent tendency to downgrade intern applicants from professional schools. Please be forewarned: to work at a VA you MUST complete an APA approved internship!!! Best wishes! :luck: