VA Job Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh the Irony

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Can anyone who is currently a staff psychologist at a VA shed some light on the interview process? Specifically, what sort of questions were you asked, how long was the process, were the interviews one-on-one or with multiple interviewers at once, and who did you interview with (not specific people, but did you interview with people with different positions at the VA, like HR reps, psychologists, and/or social workers)?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
Can anyone who is currently a staff psychologist at a VA shed some light on the interview process? Specifically, what sort of questions were you asked, how long was the process, were the interviews one-on-one or with multiple interviewers at once, and who did you interview with (not specific people, but did you interview with people with different positions at the VA, like HR reps, psychologists, and/or social workers)?
Thanks!!

Behavioral interviewing is used., ie., Tell me about a time when....

Usually a panel interviews you vs just the service chief/supervisor. Panel may be multidiciplinary.

If I had to interview with HR reps, I would never accept a job in the VA. Some of the most incompetent people I have ever seen. I have interviewed with other neuropsychologists and mental health chiefs when I have interviewed within the VA.

Members don't see this ad :)
At our VA, I have seen the program chief plus one other staff psychologist/MH provider interview for clinical positions (PhD/PsyD, LCSW, RNs). I have no clue about the new psychiatrists hired. The applicants usually met with the applicant together and then individually, and were usually called back for second interviews are the first group was weeded through. The process takes a long time from interviewing to hire. I'm being rehired right now in clinical research (after having just completed my internship) and have to go thru the entire #@$%& vetting process over again (i.e., physical, background check, etc.)...It's taking me 2-3 months to get back in. As far as the interview questions, I'm not much help there - I was hired by my supervisors, so they knew my work/style already.

erg already hit on the types of questions typically asked.

Like WisNeuro, I interviewed with at least one neuropsychologist (usually the lead), a service or program chief, and one or two other psychologists (possibly neuro, possibly not). I only interviewed with a small handful of VAs, but never had a non-psychologist on my panel. However, as CheetahGirl mentioned, where I currently work, the interview panels are often multi-disciplinary (all within behavioral health). Primarily psychiatrists and psychologists, and occasionally social workers. Don't know that any RNs sit on our hiring panels here, but it's very possible.

Length of each interview was typically an hour, occasionally 30 minutes.

Don't know that any RNs sit on our hiring panels here, but it's very possible.

I meant to say that during my 1-year internship, I saw RNS, LCSWS, PhD/PsyDs hired but the panel hiring were typically the Program Chief and one or two other staff (typically, the psychologists in the departments). I also don't know of any RNs on the panel to interview. I also suspect the few RNs that were hired, were interviewed by psychiatrists but other than those nurses, I was not privy to the roles that psychiatrists played in the hiring process.

I do know one thing: If they liked you, they'd come back to staff meetings to say "oh we interviewed a great candidate today, hope they take the offer..." Maybe it was our VA but everyone was open about the new hires and staffing was always an issue at team meetings...OP - I'm adding this just in case you're feeling insecure...if you're good and make a great first impression, seems like they get everyone one board quickly with the new hires...so first impressions always count (don't forget)...at least at our OPD.

Last edited:
True... I was offered my position in July...it is October and HR is running my background check (again). And still nothing formal outlining my benefits, etc. :bang: But, hey, I want it badly enough so I am patiently at their disposal. :shy:

When I was back in fellowship I looked at a few VAs and they were up front w. me and said it could take 2-3+ months. I started my job hunt early so one of them was still in the running, but at the end of the day I wanted to be at an R1….so I can stay late (like now).

Yep, it can take a while unless they're able to forego the standard interviewing process and direct hire...which is much more likely to happen with nurses and physicians than psychologists because of how we/they are classified as employees.

And agreed, CheetahGirl--in my experience, if your interviewers like you, other folks will hear about it. Doubly so at smaller VAs. I don't consider myself anything particularly special, but I'll be darned if the mental health workers in my entire system (i.e., main hospital + my and a couple other outpatient clinics) didn't know I was coming by the time I arrived. Then again, they also held the position for me for about 6 months and had a staggering wait list of patients, so that may have also contributed.

Having been at more than one VA already in my training, I'm aware of how long processes such as these can take (I once waited almost 2 months for a PIV badge!). I'm not that concerned about the wait. However, both my graduate program and internship were very oriented towards preparing for a faculty position, so I feel like I have no idea what to expect from interviews for clinical positions. Having a sense of what questions to prepare would ease some anxiety! Thanks everyone who's commented so far!

it will likley be a variety of "what have you done to treat this kind of patient", to "how have you handled a difficult situation with a supervisor or disagreement with a collegue, etc

"If you were a tree, what kind of a tree would you be?" I hope they don't ask you that one. ;)

Comic relief, seriousness aside: I have that one...an oak seedling...so I can grow now that my roots are firmly planted. :smuggrin:

Truth is I'm feeling like a weeping willow, at this point.

OP, Good luck with your interview!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users