VA Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaginCajun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find out as a first year what could I do to prepare for the application process? With prior military experience I heard you have an advantage but I want to go above and beyond what it takes.

Can someone please give me some tips or input?

Members don't see this ad.

just get good grades and be involved. Other than that there really isn't anything else to do except maybe shadow some preceptors to figure out what you want to do with a residency

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to find out as a first year what could I do to prepare for the application process? With prior military experience I heard you have an advantage but I want to go above and beyond what it takes.

Can someone please give me some tips or input?

I don't know if prior military experience itself places you at an advantage. I would surmise it would be the unique experiences you gained from it. I would bet getting hired as staff is a different story - but for residency purposes, it's "just (and I'm not downplaying military experience at all)" another value-added on the CV

I imagine getting a job at a VA (they do take interns) or doing one of your rotations there would be helpful.

I am a PGY-1 at a VA hospital now, and I will tell you that I had no military background, did not complete a VA rotation and had never even stepped foot in a VA before interviewing here. Just get through pharmacy school, be excited on the first day of each new rotation, apply to VA hospitals for your residency and see where the match takes you. You can always do a Jr. COSTEP internship or an IHS/FDA/NIH rotation if you want to get some government healthcare experience under your belt before interviews. G'luck!

I am a PGY-1 at a VA hospital now, and I will tell you that I had no military background, did not complete a VA rotation and had never even stepped foot in a VA before interviewing here. Just get through pharmacy school, be excited on the first day of each new rotation, apply to VA hospitals for your residency and see where the match takes you. You can always do a Jr. COSTEP internship or an IHS/FDA/NIH rotation if you want to get some government healthcare experience under your belt before interviews. G'luck!

removed

Last edited:

what bothers me is that a lot of people that work in the va do it not bc of the patient population but for their own reasons.

my whole family are veterans. i think if someone served in the military they should definitely have some sort of advanced standing when applying if i were interviewing. who better to help veterans than another veteran?

i think it is better bc the patients and he/she have a unique bond.

what bothers me is that a lot of people that work in the va do it not bc of the patient population but for their own reasons.

I don't think this is an issue... I mean, everything I do is borne out of "my own reasons."

You might be referring to pharmacists attracted by banker's hours and federal benefits. I also don't see a problem here...ultimately, you're the one that's putting in the 160 hours a month, I should hope the job you choose fits your interests/desired lifestyle/etc...