PhD/PsyD VA vs. Vet Center clinical jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arsesta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there forum!

I'm an early career PhD-level psychologist. I'm in my 2nd year at a full-time clinical position at a small VA, where I completed my internship. I returned to this VA after 2+ years of working in the community. It's been a difficult transition from a trainee to a staff here, and I'm seeing a lot more politics, staff drama, and the red-tape than I did when I was a trainee (thanks supervisors for shielding me from most of it!). I have been chatting with a few LCSWs at a local Vet Center and have wondered about being a psychologist for a Vet Center compared to a VA. It would be on the same payscale, likely a lateral move, but working in the community (as opposed to a cold, sterile medical clinic with impossible parking) and I would have more direct access to the patients, possibly work with kids again, and do more outreach which I love. Are there any disadvantages of working at a Vet Center vs. at a VAMC/CBOC? Is it really just the prestige/status thing of working for a medical center compared to a community clinic?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi there forum!

I'm an early career PhD-level psychologist. I'm in my 2nd year at a full-time clinical position at a small VA, where I completed my internship. I returned to this VA after 2+ years of working in the community. It's been a difficult transition from a trainee to a staff here, and I'm seeing a lot more politics, staff drama, and the red-tape than I did when I was a trainee (thanks supervisors for shielding me from most of it!). I have been chatting with a few LCSWs at a local Vet Center and have wondered about being a psychologist for a Vet Center compared to a VA. It would be on the same payscale, likely a lateral move, but working in the community (as opposed to a cold, sterile medical clinic with impossible parking) and I would have more direct access to the patients, possibly work with kids again, and do more outreach which I love. Are there any disadvantages of working at a Vet Center vs. at a VAMC/CBOC? Is it really just the prestige/status thing of working for a medical center compared to a community clinic?

Thanks!

Don't you have to be a vet to work at the vet centers?

Reactions: 1 user
Don't you have to be a vet to work at the vet centers?

I was under the impression anyone could work there. They vary a lot by area. In general, the ones that I have seen offer more lower level readjustment care and refer put to the VAMC's for care on more serious and acute problems.