Valentine's Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good idea? No dinner. No movie. No chocolate.
I made a red velvet cake last year.

To keep this pharmacy related, do you have a favorite heart medication from pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

To keep this pharmacy related, do you have a favorite heart medication from pharmacy school?

How about this..
http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=10496&category_id=889

and this....
http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=10699&category_id=73

Those are my requests. Except they are birthday/V Day cause my birthday is the 9th. (Sat)

i think old-school brand name prinivil were in the shape of little suns....they were neat!

no candy this year for me or my man...i think we will be heading to the music store and getting each other some drum goodies!

Members don't see this ad :)

I always thought that brand name Valium look like they have a heart cut out of the middle instead of a V. (Ok, so it's not a heart medication.)

i think old-school brand name prinivil were in the shape of little suns....they were neat!

no candy this year for me or my man...i think we will be heading to the music store and getting each other some drum goodies!

You serious about this drum thing?

I got me an electric and an amp....

those aren't cute..
Nobody asked you.

images

Were you looking for ideas for you? Or for him? :p
I wasn't looking for me. I get plenty of love every day --> in fact, I don't need any more. I have what you would call a surplus.

I was trying to find something for him that would be less traditional and more creative. He likes plants, cars, and computer stuff. We both like pets.

**** Valentine's Day. It's the most meaningless holiday ever conceived. Boxing Day in Canada is a better holiday. I have never and will never do anything special for that stupid day. That **** needs to just die and die fast.

I bought my wife a Coach purse. A nice one, too. And you know why I bought it? Because I God damn felt like it. Stupid *** Valentine's Day. It creates an atmosphere of entitlement. Women think they are entitled to ****....**** that.

**** Valentine's Day. It's the most meaningless holiday ever conceived. Boxing Day in Canada is a better holiday. I have never and will never do anything special for that stupid day. That **** needs to just die and die fast.

I agree Valentine's day is way overdone. But it always feels nice to do something special for someone you care about...

What holiday do you like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid *** Valentine's Day. It creates an atmosphere of entitlement. Women think they are entitled to ****....**** that.
Please don't group us all together like that. I prefer simple surprises, but I rarely get them :(. I'm usually the motivator... maybe that's why I would prefer to be the "wealthy" one in a couple. I am very giving.

Please don't group us all together like that. I prefer simple surprises, but I rarely get them :(. I'm usually the motivator... maybe that's why I would prefer to be the "wealthy" one in a couple. I am very giving.

Giving does not always require money.....

I was trying to find something for him that would be less traditional and more creative. He likes plants, cars, and computer stuff. We both like pets.

Hm, since he likes plants, how about a Rabbit's Foot Fern (Davallia fejeensis). I've had one for over a year on my desk and it's absolutely thriving! Lovely airy foliage, low-maintenance, and best of all, it grows furry "rhizomes" that look like rabbit's feet. It's a great conversational piece too. People often say, "Wow, it looks like tarantula legs are growing out of the pot!" :D

If he likes cars/car work, I would suggest a set of NGK Iridium Spark Plugs. :thumbup:

I agree Valentine's day is way overdone. But it always feels nice to do something special for someone you care about...

Then do it. Why the hell do we feel a day is necessitated where buying useless **** for people is the norm?

What holiday do you like?

WELLLLLLL, since you asked....

I'd like Labor Day if I wasn't in this profession and actually got it off.

I like June 20th. True ****in' rebels.

I don't like my birthday. It just reminds me that I'm one year closer to death. Which sucks. Same with New Years' Day.

Thanksgiving sucks. WTF is with stuffing yourself with turkey. It probably causes thousands of heart attacks annually. Meanwhile, millions in Africa are starving.

Christmas is the most irritating holiday there is. Spending untold sums on useless bull****....the country is $9 trillion in debt...oh well, **** it, little Jimmy needs a ****ing 42" plasma TV.

Veteran's Day is ok. Respect.

Memorial Day is lame, too. It allows people to have an excuse to only remember the dead once a year. Mothers'/Fathers' Day are along the same lines. Let's go give grandpa the annual visit in his retirement home cubicle. It's June. (Sadly, I know multiple people like this...)

Valentine's Day is, again, lame. Just another manufactured holiday where you are expected to buy bull**** for people while kids in Africa starve.

Independence Day is alright in concept, but lame in delivery. There were a group of crazy sons of bitches that had a good 80%+ chance of dying at the hands of an overwhelming force of *******s from across an ocean that just said "**** it" and beat the **** out of said *******s until they were their own country. They deserve more than some lame *** fireworks. But who am I.

Columbus Day is lame. The dude was a murderous ******* that popped the cap on centuries of racial genocide against the native peoples'. But, hey, he's a good white European Christian, let's give him a ****ing holiday. Manifest Destiny and ****.

What the hell else is there?

Hanukkah is lame. Being married to a Jew, it's kinda new to me. I forget to light the stupid candles after day 4 or so. She's not a religious Jew though...one of those "they my peeps" types of Hebrews, so I can excuse it, I suppose. But you have to give a minimum amount of gifts. What kind of gangster **** is that? The dradle game is weird, too. I just remember that the characters look like a phone, Italy, Pi, and a W. When I'm in Philly for the holiday, I just sit there and spin the thing yelling "Italy" and her grandpa looks at me all pissed off.

Flag Day is lame. It's like a baby Independence Day. Who gives a **** about a lame *** flag. It's a piece of cloth. Why isn't there a "constitution" day. The flag doesn't give me **** for rights. That piece of paper signed by the aforementioned crazy sons of bitches does.

Halloween is lame. It's a freakin' religious holiday that is made into a mockery (like Christmas) with kids running around in ridiculous costumes and going door to door demanding candy from people. I'll never forget the African dude that lived next to me in my first apartment in Morgantown. He comes running to my door, "Mike, Mike, why are their children roaming the streets dressed as demons!! What is going on!!!" Dude had no concept of WTF Haloween was. He's from Africa, c'mon. Thought he walked into some Children of the Corn type ****. Haha. Anyway, the only redeeming quality is that girls aged 17-30 dress up in slutty outfits. ALL OF THEM. You appreciate it when that deeply religious girl who is kinda hot but refuses to even wear shorts or a knee high skirt to class shows up at Bent Wiley's wearing a dominatrix outfit that rides up 95% of the way up her thighs. They need to be more honest though. If it was "Give Children Candy and Dress like a Slut Day", I'd have no problem AT ALL with Haloween. But as is, it still falls into the "lame" category.

Groundhog Day is lame. It happens like, 70 miles North of me, too. Any holiday that is founded upon the concept of a giant hamster predicting the weather is automatically useless.

Martin Luther King day is ok. It's one of the few Holidays I celebrate. I have a soft spot for the man though. I cried at his grave in Atlanta when I was there for the Sugar Bowl a few years ago. I've cried about 3 times in my life since I was 12, too....so uh....yeah.....take that for what it's worth.

Easter is lame, too. WTF does a stupid rabbit and giving kids baskets of chocolate have to do with the sacrifice of a random religion's mangod? What the hell kind of ******ed tradition is that? Not to mention it originated as a Pagan holiday revolving around the Spring equinox (ever wonder why it's celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox?) It was just celebrated in Christian Rome to synthesize Pagan and the (then) neochristian celebrations in an attempt to get some sort of continuity going.

Did I miss any? Clearly, most holidays suck, nonetheless.....

Too bad. As a perpetrator of Valentine's Day, that's what you get. Deservedly.

Groundhog Day is lame. It happens like, 70 miles North of me, too. Any holiday that is founded upon the concept of a giant hamster predicting the weather is automatically useless.

I only celebrate Groundhog's cuz that's when I proposed to the wife and restaurants are less crowded 2 weeks before the 14th.

How the heck did you miss St Patrick's Day? Green, drunkenness and parties. I'd say Cinco de Mayo, but that's not an American holiday no matter what they think in LA.

I only celebrate Groundhog's cuz that's when I proposed to the wife and restaurants are less crowded 2 weeks before the 14th.

How the heck did you miss St Patrick's Day? Green, drunkenness and parties. I'd say Cinco de Mayo, but that's not an American holiday no matter what they think in LA.

St. Patty's Day is lame, too. And I'm (predominantly) Irish. Not to mention Scotish, Spanish, and Scandanavian..among others. I'm a mutt. Yay, me. Anyway, can we come up with something better than an idiot magically driving away snakes? Gawd. Hell, Samuel L Jackson did that on an airplane once, does he get a holiday?

I like the holidays if I can do something that isn't lame. I would rather go out to eat than sit at someone's house all day. I like to celebrate without reminiscing too much. He's actually out in the French Quarter celebrating Lundi Gras with his sisters while I'm stuck at home, because I have to study. I'll be out in the Quarter tomorrow though.

That's a really good idea PharmSyn. If I remember correctly, he needs spark plugs.

I think we might take a trip Old Timer. I just have to figure out where. If I can find those floating hearts nearby, we'll go there.

Where's NewRX? He's the king of love on SDN. Doesn't he have anything to say? Supposedly he wants to pop the question in pharmacy school...

June 20th? What's June 20th? That's my bday...so I was born on Father's day. :) But it's summer solstice, so when I was really young I thought that meant I got to have the longest birthday party of the year. :p

I'd say Cinco de Mayo, but that's not an American holiday no matter what they think in LA.

Heh, yeah...it isn't one in most of Mexico either. Lived there 6 years and never even heard it mentioned.

I wasn't looking for me. I get plenty of love every day --> in fact, I don't need any more. I have what you would call a surplus.

If he's into computers, look at the stuff at www.thinkgeek.com. My husband is a computer freak and he's always ecstatic when I get him something from this website. So far I've gotten him this shirt, this polo (it's fun to push the logo and "turn him on"), and this business card holder.

This year we're going to Las Vegas as a combo 30th birthday (his)/Valentine's Day/last hurrah before baby trip. I was able to plan the entire trip without his knowledge and spring the tickets/reservations on him in a birthday card.

Why do *I* like June 20th? Well....it's because it's a birthday.

I had to look it up, but that's West Virginia Day. (July 3rd is Idaho's birthday.) 06/20 is also Ice Cream Soda Day and my niece's (and Spiriva's :D) birthday. It's also the day after my wedding anniversary :love:

If he's into computers, look at the stuff at www.thinkgeek.com. My husband is a computer freak and he's always ecstatic when I get him something from this website. So far I've gotten him this shirt, this polo (it's fun to push the logo and "turn him on"), and this business card holder.

This year we're going to Las Vegas as a combo 30th birthday (his)/Valentine's Day/last hurrah before baby trip. I was able to plan the entire trip without his knowledge and spring the tickets/reservations on him in a birthday card.
I love that polo shirt! :love:
He's the one who taught me about the universal power symbol. I know other stuff too that I doubt I would have learned otherwise, mostly stuff about cars, plants, tools, and alternative energy sources. THANKFULLY, I still know very little about video games, and I want to keep it that way.

come to NY and jam with us!:D

i agree with everyone else, valentine's day is lame. it's one of my co-workers' last names, so he thinks it's his personal holiday....which i find amusing!

come to NY and jam with us!:D

i agree with everyone else, valentine's day is lame. it's one of my co-workers' last names, so he thinks it's his personal holiday....which i find amusing!

You know anyone that can blow high notes....ie AC/DC .... Boston... Journey? And some Zepplin?

If he likes cars...one thing I've done is rented something that he liked for a day, and just go for a ride together...somewhere fun. Obviously can be kind of pricey if you're talking crazy cars, but any kind of convertible on a nice day is fun.

Plants...do you guys have a nice botanical garden in N'awlins? I love to visit the one in DC and take photos. Maybe you could pack up his fave lunch and go somewhere like that.

Anyways...just a few ideas off the top of my head. I'm sure you'll think of something that he'd appreciate from you ;)

So....time to step up...who all has gotten one of these? I have a feeling WVU has one sitting on his bed :p

bearpz3.png

If he likes cars...one thing I've done is rented something that he liked for a day, and just go for a ride together...somewhere fun. Obviously can be kind of pricey if you're talking crazy cars, but any kind of convertible on a nice day is fun.

Plants...do you guys have a nice botanical garden in N'awlins? I love to visit the one in DC and take photos. Maybe you could pack up his fave lunch and go somewhere like that.

Anyways...just a few ideas off the top of my head. I'm sure you'll think of something that he'd appreciate from you ;)
The rental thing is a good idea. However, the last time that I rented a car, it was a bad experience.

They have "gardens" in City Park, which we like to walk to after we get snowballs in the summer, but I wouldn't call the plants botanical. There is an Aquarium of the Americas by the Mississippi River, so maybe we could do that. They used to have pond plants in front of the Aquarium, but they died when everything flooded. I really like the Aquarium. The zoo would be nice too.

Hmmm... now I don't know what to do :p.

I want one of those bears when I graduate!

Too bad. As a perpetrator of Valentine's Day, that's what you get. Deservedly.

Well you know the follow up to Valentine's Day, right? March 14th ...Steak and a BJ Day. It's real. Look it up. Kind of like a reward for the men being thoughtful on Vday. :)

Well you know the follow up to Valentine's Day, right? March 14th ...Steak and a BJ Day. It's real. Look it up. Kind of like a reward for the men being thoughtful on Vday. :)

They should seriously legalize prostitution. It's the economics. Of course, that's not to say this interaction isn't prostitution in the first place. You can buy a Coach purse for $350 or you can go to can get a steak from Ruth's Chris and a BJ from a professional in Vegas for under $100. Valentine's Day isn't even worth it from that perspective. Women are all damned snake oil salesmen. Your product isn't worth the money you charge.

Let me say it again, do not group all women together.
Then allow me to say it again, if you perpetuate Valentine's day, you are guilty. I don't give an Eggo waffle if you are a celibate nun....if you recognize the idiocy that is Valentine's Day, you are equally guilty in my mind and thus forced to be privy to and subject of my psychotic ranting.

DEATH TO VALENTINE'S DAY! AND CHRISTMAS. AND THANKSGIVING. AND EASTER. AND COLUMBUS DAY. DEATH I SAY!!!

And you know what else pisses me off that is useless? Diamonds. **** diamonds. See, my wife thinks like me. Instead of a diamond, I got her an engagement plasma TV. You can actually use that ****. WTF does a diamond do? Contingency plan for the situation in which you are trapped inside a giant cave made of talc? Are you going to attach it to a circular saw and precision cut metal? We got married in a courthouse and kept the $50,000 it would have cost to have a ceremony. AND it was HER idea, too. That's why I have the best wife in the universe. You know what she wants for Valentine's Day? Jack ****. And if I tried to buy her something, she'd laugh at me AND lose respect for me. She's one-in-a-billion....

I'm so excited. My husband told me that he'd buy me a pair of Danskos for VD. Now I just have to come up with something fun AND practical for him.

HA HA Tussionex!! Hilarious.

Well I love any excuse to celebrate! I will just make a really nice dinner for my husband and me, maybe steak and lobster...do a surf and turf type thing. Then get some prosecco (cause I like it better than champagne) and break out my red heels ;) if you know what I mean. Sure I would love for my husband to make Valentines Day for ME but I know it's more of a chick holiday so I just make it what I want it to be and I always enjoy it. I'm pretty sure he's going to take me to see the Atlanta Ballet's Romeo and Juliet for my birthday though, which is on the 17th. That would be the BEST. Last night he brought me home a silly dancing flower that sings Gettin Jiggy Wit It. :laugh: It was cute.

And you know what else pisses me off that is useless? Diamonds. **** diamonds. See, my wife thinks like me. Instead of a diamond, I got her an engagement plasma TV. You can actually use that ****. WTF does a diamond do? Contingency plan for the situation in which you are trapped inside a giant cave made of talc? Are you going to attach it to a circular saw and precision cut metal? We got married in a courthouse and kept the $50,000 it would have cost to have a ceremony. AND it was HER idea, too. That's why I have the best wife in the universe. You know what she wants for Valentine's Day? Jack ****. And if I tried to buy her something, she'd laugh at me AND lose respect for me. She's one-in-a-billion....

That's the best thing I've ever heard. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Then do it. Why the hell do we feel a day is necessitated where buying useless **** for people is the norm?

I'd like Labor Day if I wasn't in this profession and actually got it off.

I don't like my birthday. It just reminds me that I'm one year closer to death. Which sucks. Same with New Years' Day.

Thanksgiving sucks. WTF is with stuffing yourself with turkey. It probably causes thousands of heart attacks annually. Meanwhile, millions in Africa are starving.

Christmas is the most irritating holiday there is. Spending untold sums on useless bull****....the country is $9 trillion in debt...oh well, **** it, little Jimmy needs a ****ing 42" plasma TV.

Veteran's Day is ok. Respect.

Memorial Day is lame, too. It allows people to have an excuse to only remember the dead once a year. Mothers'/Fathers' Day are along the same lines. Let's go give grandpa the annual visit in his retirement home cubicle. It's June. (Sadly, I know multiple people like this...)

Valentine's Day is, again, lame. Just another manufactured holiday where you are expected to buy bull**** for people while kids in Africa starve.

Independence Day is alright in concept, but lame in delivery. There were a group of crazy sons of bitches that had a good 80%+ chance of dying at the hands of an overwhelming force of *******s from across an ocean that just said "**** it" and beat the **** out of said *******s until they were their own country. They deserve more than some lame *** fireworks. But who am I.

Columbus Day is lame. The dude was a murderous ******* that popped the cap on centuries of racial genocide against the native peoples'. But, hey, he's a good white European Christian, let's give him a ****ing holiday. Manifest Destiny and ****.

What the hell else is there?

Hanukkah is lame. Being married to a Jew, it's kinda new to me. I forget to light the stupid candles after day 4 or so. She's not a religious Jew though...one of those "they my peeps" types of Hebrews, so I can excuse it, I suppose. But you have to give a minimum amount of gifts. What kind of gangster **** is that? The dradle game is weird, too. I just remember that the characters look like a phone, Italy, Pi, and a W. When I'm in Philly for the holiday, I just sit there and spin the thing yelling "Italy" and her grandpa looks at me all pissed off.

Flag Day is lame. It's like a baby Independence Day. Who gives a **** about a lame *** flag. It's a piece of cloth. Why isn't there a "constitution" day. The flag doesn't give me **** for rights. That piece of paper signed by the aforementioned crazy sons of bitches does.

Halloween is lame. It's a freakin' religious holiday that is made into a mockery (like Christmas) with kids running around in ridiculous costumes and going door to door demanding candy from people. I'll never forget the African dude that lived next to me in my first apartment in Morgantown. He comes running to my door, "Mike, Mike, why are their children roaming the streets dressed as demons!! What is going on!!!" Dude had no concept of WTF Haloween was. He's from Africa, c'mon. Thought he walked into some Children of the Corn type ****. Haha. Anyway, the only redeeming quality is that girls aged 17-30 dress up in slutty outfits. ALL OF THEM. You appreciate it when that deeply religious girl who is kinda hot but refuses to even wear shorts or a knee high skirt to class shows up at Bent Wiley's wearing a dominatrix outfit that rides up 95% of the way up her thighs. They need to be more honest though. If it was "Give Children Candy and Dress like a Slut Day", I'd have no problem AT ALL with Haloween. But as is, it still falls into the "lame" category.

Martin Luther King day is ok. It's one of the few Holidays I celebrate. I have a soft spot for the man though. I cried at his grave in Atlanta when I was there for the Sugar Bowl a few years ago. I've cried about 3 times in my life since I was 12, too....so uh....yeah.....take that for what it's worth.

Easter is lame, too. WTF does a stupid rabbit and giving kids baskets of chocolate have to do with the sacrifice of a random religion's mangod? What the hell kind of ******ed tradition is that? Not to mention it originated as a Pagan holiday revolving around the Spring equinox (ever wonder why it's celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox?) It was just celebrated in Christian Rome to synthesize Pagan and the (then) neochristian celebrations in an attempt to get some sort of continuity going.

I agree. I'm not much for holidays either. Let's make up a name for a day and make people spend money! I worked all holidays last year, to me, they are just another day and people are going to be in the hospital regardless, so might as well get paid extra to be there.

I bought my girlfriend the House seasons on dvd last Monday and told her that was her "valentine's day" present.