Valid LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keralagrl007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

What are your thoughts about getting a LOR from a peer mentor? My mentor was a senior I met at a school club when I signed up for the Big/Little Program. We met every week last year to catch up and talk. She knows me pretty well. Assuming she agrees to write me a letter, do you think this would be a good person to get a letter from?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

What are your thoughts about getting a LOR from a peer mentor? My mentor was a senior I met at a school club when I signed up for the Big/Little Program. We met every week last year to catch up and talk. She knows me pretty well. Assuming she agrees to write me a letter, do you think this would be a good person to get a letter from?

No

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

no

Only if the person holds an official positions in a university, hospital/clinic, or some volunteer center can they used for your LORs. Unless you have the peer-mentor write the letter and both her and a faculty member (in charge of the club) sign it. Then this should be fine.

Hello everyone,

No

Your peer mentor may know you very well, but nobody cares what they have to say, unfortunately.