Validity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beth_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a very late decision to be a doc.

I will be applying next cyle. I will have a CGPA of 3.53 and science gpa of 3.65, nonscience, 3.67.

The reason why it is lower is because engineering classes are not counted as science classes.

I have 2 years of research experience, 1 years of clinical experience and a leadership position, also part-time workign experience(umm, i don't know if you would consider that as a working experience)

I have taken the MCAT and scored 36 P (10 v, 13 bs, 13 ps) I was told not to retake the MCAT but was told to go for a master's degree or a post bacc program if I want ot go to private medical schools (not necessary top, just private schools).

But then, an advisor from another school told me not to go for a master's, post bacc maybe.

I am wondering if a master's will help me or I should apply next year?thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Whoever advised you to do further academic work in order to gain admission to a private med school is wrong. Your credentials are solid for any school in the US, including (dare I say it) Harvard. Do your research on schools and apply. You'll be just fine. What the hell was your advisor thinking? A 3.5 in engineering! That's freakin awesome!

Of course, my recommendation lacks validity if you want to gain admission to Mercer in Georgia. Only the cream go there. So you'll probably need to get a PhD in theoretical physics from MIT to be competitive there. Otherwise, forget it. Man, you'll just have take your chances at some OTHER med school. You know, one of those crappy med schools like Hopkins.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah whoever is talking to you is obviously a fool...

cumu...3.53
sci 3.65

36 on the mcat...doubles across the board....

if you just continue to get some more clinical experience and continue to do research if you are still involved.... then you would be a very competitive applicant...

you dont need to get anything extra...
unless you really want the masters in whatever it is you want to get it in....then go on ahead....

but if you dont feel the need then just apply next cycle and watch the interviews roll in.

apply to a good range of schools and do some research on the schools to see which places might be a good fit for you.

and again....you are totally fine....:)

I am fortunate enough to find SDN while surfing the internet.

thanks everyone for the feedback, advice...etc
I don't know why she told me that but from other students told me, she is pretty discouraging if she knows that you are an engineering. Pretty cranky sometimes.

I will apply and see what happens.

:)

as long as you took 1 yr orgo w/ lab, 1 yr gchem w/ lab, 1 yr phys w/ lab, and 1 yr bio w/ lab, you're good to go.

You might need some volunteer/shadowing experience, though. But clinical research could make up for it.

Originally posted by Beth_yu
I will have a CGPA of 3.53 and science gpa of 3.65, nonscience, 3.67.
Am I missing something here? The science and non-science GPAs indicate a higher cummulative.

Still though, you look like an awesome candidate.

Yeah, I'm a little confused about the GPA thing, too. . .

Anyway, your advisor is on crack. My stats are pretty similar to yours, and I haven't had any problems. Apply early!

yes, my advisor calculated that, she said the engineering classes are not counted as science or non-science.

so science and non science(humanityies, political science, economy, etc) GPAs are higher. and CGPA is lower due to bad grades in engineering courses

sorry if I have confused anyone

See, your girl is totally on crack. Engineering counts as nonscience on AMCAS.

EVERYTHING not counted as science is counted as non-science.

edit: Next time you meet with your advisor, kick her right square in the nuts.

I see.
alright, I will!
:laugh: