Value of Transitional Year for Family Medicine Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightmusic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year IMG and my ERAS application is (I think) okay. My board scores are okay but not great: 228 for Step 1 and 233 for Step 2. I have a fair number of extracurriculars, no research, high passed all my 3rd year clerkships and have strong letters from my home program. I'm also in the middle of completing 2 electives and 2 sub-is in the US. However, my application is not currently complete since I am waiting on a US LoR and won't be complete until early October.

I'm planning to practice in international/underserved area and really want to match into a rigorous program with intense OB, hospital and procedure training. I've started to wonder if I might have a better chance of getting a spot in one of those residencies after completing a TY and reapplying with all US letters, and more stateside experience. I haven't heard of many people doing this for FM and was wondering if anyone here had thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

started to wonder if I might have a better chance of getting a spot in one of those residencies after completing a TY and reapplying with all US letters

Though I think that might be true, I'm not sure whether getting a transitional year IM residency would be any easier than a family med residency. I suppose it would open up more programs to apply to though.

Ah, thanks. I had wondered about TY competitiveness as well but had heard there are some less competitive programs/locations.

TY is going to be harder to get. Simply TY programs want to get people who are going to specialties that need it (favorable) i.e. radiology, rad onc etc.

I'm sure there's also a medicare restriction that prevents them from giving these out to primary care.