Vapor Pressure & Boiling Point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, if the boiling point of a substance is lower than water, should the vapor pressure of that substance near its boiling point be less than that of water or higher than that of water? I have here in my notes that it should be less than that of water but shouldn't it be higher than water, considering water has a higher boiling point, and thus reaches the required level of vapor pressure at a higher temperature?

Members don't see this ad.

Well at each substance's boiling points, their VP is going to be the same as atmospheric pressure. So their VP's at boiling should be the same. The TEMPERATURE of substance w/ lower BP will be lower than water's TEMPERATURE at bp. Maybe that's what you meant in your notes?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Well at each substance's boiling points, their VP is going to be the same as atmospheric pressure. So their VP's at boiling should be the same. The TEMPERATURE of substance w/ lower BP will be lower than water's TEMPERATURE at bp. Maybe that's what you meant in your notes?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

That's what I thought, too, initially but got bogged down in wording since it says NEAR its boiling point. I'll have to double check, I think I got it from the TPR PS book.

So, to mflee, he says the boiling point of "its" <--referring to the substance with lower BP than water so I don't think your justification would work.

But ya, G1, I'm positive you should say that it should have a higher VP due to lower BP.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, to mflee, he says the boiling point of "its" <--referring to the substance with lower BP than water so I don't think your justification would work.

But ya, G1, I'm positive you should say that it should have a higher VP due to lower BP.

Got it, thanks. I think I should've been more clear about the scenario-we have water and substance x. Substance X is boiling already and water is not, since it has a higher BP. Substance X has the higher vapor pressure. Thanks.

NP! (Lol the day before my MCAT...and I'm resting..by surfing the SDN boards for mcat stuff) hahahah