Vascular Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayfucius

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have heard about a vascular medicine fellowship. I think there's only a few in the country (Cleveland Clinic, UCLA, Brigham, Greenville?). I think it's a two year fellowship with a clinical year and a year of interventional training. I'm assuming you do stuff like stents and ultrasounds as the bread and butter, but I just don't know much about it. It seems very interesting and I was wondering if anyone on the forum can either shed more light on it or point me towards any relevant resources.

Members don't see this ad.

BU has a vascular fellowship, but it's a post-cardiology fellowship, like electro physiology or interventional cardiology. From what you're looking for, things like vascular ultrasound and peripheral stent placement would be more along the lines of interventional radiology or vascular surgery rather than vascular medicine.

Hey everyone,

I have heard about a vascular medicine fellowship. I think there's only a few in the country (Cleveland Clinic, UCLA, Brigham, Greenville?). I think it's a two year fellowship with a clinical year and a year of interventional training. I'm assuming you do stuff like stents and ultrasounds as the bread and butter, but I just don't know much about it. It seems very interesting and I was wondering if anyone on the forum can either shed more light on it or point me towards any relevant resources.

Vascular Medicine is a sub-fellowship of Cards. It's an extra 1-2 years on top of a 3-4y cards fellowship. There are Vascular Biology fellowships out there which are mostly research (Stanford has one) but this doesn't sound like what you're talking about.

Just so you're aware, there's no way a 2y fellowship would in any way put you in a place to do interventional work. In most cards fellowships these days, if you're a senior fellow at a VA or county program, you might get to do some stenting. In general though you drive the cath until it's time to do the magic, at which time the attending swoops in and takes the credit (not to mention the blame if the shizzle hits the fizzle).

Members don't see this ad :)
It is true it use to be that after card fellowship, you have to do an extra 1-2 yrs to do vascular medicine fellowship, but this is changing and we have some few hospitals that are doing this now, just like sleep medicine and hepatology.

There are seven vascular clinical research training programs in the U.S. They are three-years in duration, and intended as fellowships for people who have completed IM or surgical residencies. Research is a huge component of the training.

If you go via the medicine route, a couple of the programs will let you stay for an extra year to qualify for interventional work, so that's 7 years (3 IM/3 fellowship/1 interventional). The ABVM is pretty clear about this: http://www.vascularboard.org/cert_reqs.cfm

I hope that helps!

Hi all,
There are actually several vascular medicine fellowships that are sponsored by the NHLBI that offer a combination of clinical training and research experience. There is one at Stanford and some others I think.
Hope this helps!