Vascular Studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMDoc607

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to start reading vascular studies after I get my RPVI certification, what is needed to do this? Obviously, you would need the ultrasound machine and a tech. The patient base is there through a connection. Do you need to get an outpatient office accredited to do the testing? I am talking about simple carotids, abdominal ultrasounds, etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to just read them, or do you want to get paid to read them? Two different questions. Critical distinction.

Well I have a family friend who has a large general medicine practice that has a large cardiology/vascular base. We were thinking of opening up a vascular section of the practice. So I/we want to get paid to read them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might have to check with individual insurers but as far as I'm aware you don't need specific credentialing for most insurers to read vascular studies (yet). You don't really even need RPVI.

I don't think you need any certification. I know of FP's who read echos out in the boonies. As long as you own the machines and the office you can do what you want.

Its ridiculous how FPs and internists are allowed to read echos. Board certified or eligible cardiologists only should be reading echos.