Vascular surgery fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In no particular order
Pitt, Baylor-Houston, MGH, Dartmouth, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo-Rochester, University of Wisconsin, Indiana, Standford, UCSF

On another note: anyone hear from Mayo Rochester?

Members don't see this ad.

Invites from Eastern Virginia this week. Any others?

Members don't see this ad :)
In no particular order
Pitt, Baylor-Houston, MGH, Dartmouth, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo-Rochester, University of Wisconsin, Indiana, Standford, UCSF

On another note: anyone hear from Mayo Rochester?

I agree with your list but I would not place Indiana and Pitt among them.. I heard Indiana does not have a good volume in big cases and Pitt has the same problem because of so many fellows 4 per year!

I would add to your list though U of wisconsin, U of florida jacksonville, brigham and women these are top tier places

the vascular programs are a bit like the MLB teams. there are many big names with good tradition of winning but their qualities fluctuate every few years (when they lose key free agents and many actually rebuild). the fellows only stay for two years and interview a year ahead of time. it's important to keep that in mind while ranking the programs - things change.

the list is large accurate and IMHO:

1. emory has lost quite a few "free agents" in recent years. it would have been a top 10 lock but i'm not sure about it at this point. same is true for vanderbilt - a traditional winner but its faculty stability is in question (as of a few months ago). columbia/cornell program is also having a lot of changes as we speak. baylor is nowhere near the baylor 5 years ago. they divorced methodist but only got a car out of it while methodist kept the house, it seems...

2. on the other hand, wisconsin is definitely on its way up. it didn't match a fellow just a few years ago but now with matsumora and kent, it's becoming a major player. same can be said about university of florida. since dr. seeger's passing, they have rebuilt their program very well - they have three graduates from darthmouth; they certainly know what they're doing. chicago is on its way up with their expansion and hiring of ross milner.

3. mayo az is a relatively new program (so are minnesota and uc davis) so there is always special considerations paid to when it comes to new programs.

4. NYU remains a strong player with a good reputation. it probably belongs to the 2nd tier. LIJ is a busy program with many big cases but doesn't carry the same name. cleveland clinic probably belongs to the first tier given its prowess but i don't know their training experience for fellows. loyola lost ross milner and unless they make a major move, they'd be in a lower tier. u of arizona is a powerhouse for those that enjoy limb salvaging and i'm a fan of joe mills. they probably belong a tier higher. USC has a very strong clinical training program probably just as good as UCLA but doesn't have the academic recognition.
-

Last edited:
University of Tennessee - Chattanooga

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanderbilt today. Anyone heard from Florida?

You mentioned NYU and LIJ here. Out of curiosity where would you rank the other big NYC program, Mt Sinai, here?

mount sinai is a solid program. they have a few very well-known senior surgeons that produce a lot of papers. the only criticism would be they don't do any fenestrated cases - i think they send them to cornell and sometimes nyu (so far the only two programs that do FDA approved fennies in NYC), but things may change.

their clinical experience is believed to be a little less than NYU perhaps due to the fact they don't have a bellevue or va equivalent for fellows to really "practice". but they probably write better papers. it's probably on par with NYU depending on what you want to get out of the program and if you want to live on the upper east side.

Last edited:
Texas A&M today ...as I wait stranded in the misery of the Detroit airport

Hi i am new to this forum. Also applying for vascular fellowship. Hoper the best for everyone
a have a few invites so far, but still waiting for 15 programs to reply is that normal? somebody told me a lot of programs start sending invites in february..
anybody heard from cleveland clinic?

Hi i am new to this forum. Also applying for vascular fellowship. Hoper the best for everyone
a have a few invites so far, but still waiting for 15 programs to reply is that normal? somebody told me a lot of programs start sending invites in february..
anybody heard from cleveland clinic?

Welcome.

Cleveland Clinic has already given out interviews (I was emailed just one solitary date, not a choice).

Also, heard from SLU today...

Welcome.

Cleveland Clinic has already given out interviews (I was emailed just one solitary date, not a choice).

Also, heard from SLU today...

Emory today

Anyone else find it entertaining that we will be spending Valentine's Day with the Cleveland Clinic folks? Poor planning or brilliance(SO vs dedication to VS)?I'm going with brilliance...At least we will get a nice Italian dinner out of it :)

Emory today

Anyone else find it entertaining that we will be spending Valentine's Day with the Cleveland Clinic folks? Poor planning or brilliance(SO vs dedication to VS)?I'm going with brilliance...At least we will get a nice Italian dinner out of it :)

I only got few interviews so far and only one rejection from MGH and still waiting to hear from about 17 programs

Any news about NY programs or Florida programs, Dartmouth, Brigham?

do you guys think we still get invites in february? cause I hear mixed answers

good luck to everyone!

UW withdrew from the match. :/

^^^ A little disappointed about this ^^^

Interesting little letter we all got today (or at least those who applied to U Wash). Wonder what the circumstances are....

Do you guys think programs send dfferent batches of interviews?

Do you guys think programs send dfferent batches of interviews?

Most definitely. I have received plenty of interviews the week or so after others have posted on here that they heard from the same program.

My buddy who is a fellow now said he got plenty of interviews in mid/end of Feb....here's to hoping not to have to wait that long :bang:

Most definitely. I have received plenty of interviews the week or so after others have posted on here that they heard from the same program.

My buddy who is a fellow now said he got plenty of interviews in mid/end of Feb....here's to hoping not to have to wait that long :bang:

Thank you! That's a relief

Anybody inputs about Rush program?

Anyone know anything about the South Florida program??(PMpreferred )

anyone hear from CA or NY programs?

only from Albany and North shore... how about Northwestern and Dartmouth anyone?

i have not heard back from a few places not even rejections.. Do you guys think we are done with invitations? or should we call... any thoughts?

Mayo Arizona today...

In response to the above, I have a number of programs I haven't heard anything back from at all either. I think there may be just a few remaining that haven't sent out invites yet, but I would be willing to wager that we are definitely at the tail end & I am going to take remaining ones at this point as rejections.

i have not heard back from a few places not even rejections.. Do you guys think we are done with invitations? or should we call... any thoughts?

I know Emory, Cleveland clinic,Utah, UNC and U Florida are still looking into applications and might me sending out invites
U Penn are done with selections and wont be sending rejections

NYU, Dartmouth, Brigham, Northwestern have not sent out interviews yet as far as i know

I know Emory, Cleveland clinic,Utah, UNC and U Florida are still looking into applications and might me sending out invites
U Penn are done with selections and wont be sending rejections

NYU, Dartmouth, Brigham, Northwestern have not sent out interviews yet as far as i know

NYU has conducted its first interview (and maybe the only one) earlier this month.

Northwestern withdrew from the match.