Vascular surgery fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else find it fishy they are just now 'last minute' deciding to keep BOTH their 0-5s an extra year?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else find it fishy they are just now 'last minute' deciding to keep BOTH their 0-5s an extra year?
I think it's disgusting .... Says a lot about what's going on with the integrated vascular surgery experience.
Any input on the wash u program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews dried up for me last week. Probably the end of the road. Oh well, can't win em all.

Hey everyone. New to the thread but I have the following interviews set up and actually starting to get a bit nervous.

SLU: March 8th

UK Lexington: March 15-16

Grand Rapids/Spectrum: March 28

UT Memphis: April 2

Wayne State/DMC: April 6

Anyone heard anything about these programs? I'm most familiar with Spectrum's fellowship and was glad to see that they kept it one more year. There was talk to dissolve it to pave way for their integrated vascular program that they have up and running.

Toledo rejected me because I'm coming from an AOA general surgery residency and UAB put me on their waitlist for what it's worth.

Almost half way through tomorrow... And about ready to send in a pre taped interview: this post call/dinner/interview /call dance is starting to get to me. Anyone else feeling the drag?

Almost half way through tomorrow... And about ready to send in a pre taped interview: this post call/dinner/interview /call dance is starting to get to me. Anyone else feeling the drag?

Almost halfway through too...and the drag is becoming apparent especially after driving for a total of 23 hours this week. Didn't help that had to drive through the snow during both....

also half way... can't wait to be done!! good luck everyone..

UT memphis i heard good things.. don't know about the other programs

Anyone else have a travel horror story from the trail? I've felt with delayed flights, 'cancelled' hotel rooms, and the cheery on top: flat tire in the shady side of Cleveland. I alternatively hope that no one else has this much fun and yet can't believe I'm the only one the universe hates.

Got a late invite from Baylor-Dallas today. Invite at the end of April. Anyone know anything about this program or went there already this year. Curious about impression (PM preferred). Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
finally almost done with interviews.. just one more to go. anybody comments about Maryland? I heard its a really solid program..similar to Albany with high volume cases..

My list is "Certified" Is there something else you have to do to 'submit' it??? Paranoia is setting in....

Also, did anyone receive any phone calls from PDs? Didn't know whether this was a common practice w/ fellowships or whether I am lucky to have heard from a few....

I think they call their 'short list'. I'm not reading too much into the phone calls. Unless you put it in writing --it's all pretty lies(if a nice ego boost).

As for the list --all you have to do is 'certify it'. At least to my knowledge

Waiting is absolutely killing me right now....I am on call all weekend w/ nothing to do but sit here waiting for stuff to happen & thinking about the match.

The algorithm can't actually take 2 weeks to compute everyone's results....

Best of luck to everyone for tomorrow's match announcement

Here's to getting a solid spot...

I matched at my #2

Anyone else? Everyone happy w/ their matches?

I matched at my #2

Anyone else? Everyone happy w/ their matches?

My wife matched at her #3. She's very happy.

I'm probably even happier: for my career, and raising kids, her #3 was probably the best option on her rank list.

So much anxiety relieved. Feels good just to exhale. Hope everyone else is doing just as well.

Matched and very happy: now the wait begins....have I mentioned I never want to do a Whipple again. Here's to hoping the next year goes by quick

Anyone out there applying for Vascular/Endovascular Fellowship this cycle?

I am. I've gotten one interview so far. Have you?
So far I have received offers from University of Minnesota, Ohio State, Baylor Dallas, Miami, Tulane and UT Southwestern. I have not heard anything else aside from these programs.

I've heard from U Minnesota, Ohio State, and Greenville, SC. No one else yet.

Yes, actually. I've heard from Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, Geisenger, Temple, Pennsylvania Hospital, Univ of South Carolina and Univ of North Carolina.
Congrats! I heard from Cleveland Clinic yesterday.

Have you heard from anyone else?
Last I heard from was Baylor Houston. I think we all applied to some different places so it is fun hearing where everyone is getting interviews. Still deciding how many to go on...

Last I heard from was Baylor Houston. I think we all applied to some different places so it is fun hearing where everyone is getting interviews. Still deciding how many to go on...
I'll add University of Connecticut and University of Chicago.
I'm probably going to do 10-12 interviews and rank about 10 programs. These sound like safe numbers to me.

Add Thomas Jefferson to the list. It looks like everyone is applying to very different programs- I did not apply to most of the programs that you all have heard from already.
In terms of # of interviews- I never heard anyone who went on less than 15 interviews that they wish they did more. But I always heard if it was less than 10 they wish they had accepted or applied to more. So I think 10-15 is perfectly fine!

I'll add University of Connecticut and University of Chicago.
I'm probably going to do 10-12 interviews and rank about 10 programs. These sound like safe numbers to me.
I think 10-12 sound reasonable too. It is a lot of time away and money, that is for sure!

Add Thomas Jefferson to the list. It looks like everyone is applying to very different programs- I did not apply to most of the programs that you all have heard from already.
In terms of # of interviews- I never heard anyone who went on less than 15 interviews that they wish they did more. But I always heard if it was less than 10 they wish they had accepted or applied to more. So I think 10-15 is perfectly fine!
Thanks for sharing! I did not apply to many East Coast programs. We will see what the post-holiday batch brings.

I just heard from Baylor Houston and Toledo
Baylor Houston- did you apply to Methodist as well? I do not have any real knowledge on that area- but I always read in these threads and from one girl who interviewed a couple years ago about the whole Baylor split to Methodist and how it hasn't been the same/good since. Not to dissuade you in anyway, just to make sure you have heard this!

Baylor Houston- did you apply to Methodist as well? I do not have any real knowledge on that area- but I always read in these threads and from one girl who interviewed a couple years ago about the whole Baylor split to Methodist and how it hasn't been the same/good since. Not to dissuade you in anyway, just to make sure you have heard this!
Yes, I have heard the same and know someone who is a fellow there who says the same. Did you apply to any of the other Texas programs?

Yes, I have heard the same and know someone who is a fellow there who says the same. Did you apply to any of the other Texas programs?

I applied to three places in Texas based on some advice from an attending I worked with who was faculty in the recent past at UTSW. I don't have any direct knowlege of TX either so I went on his advice and from what is available in cyberspace to decide where to apply. Based on all that, you probably can't go wrong with UTSW, either of the Baylors, or Methodist in terms of quality of training. Case volumes (reportedly) are good across the board, all have a good rep, and Houston and Dallas are nice places to live if you like a large city/mild climate. The consensus opinions I've found seem to be in favor of Methodist being a little better than Baylor Houston for reasons due to the infamous split. Baylor Houston a little better than Baylor Dallas. And UTSW somewhere in the middle. TX A&M is ok, but the location is rural. Haven't heard anything about UT Houston. Again, all points are easily arguable depending on who you ask, and I'm not sure if any subjective differences would be tangible in terms of actual training.

I applied to three places in Texas based on some advice from an attending I worked with who was faculty in the recent past at UTSW. I don't have any direct knowlege of TX either so I went on his advice and from what is available in cyberspace to decide where to apply. Based on all that, you probably can't go wrong with UTSW, either of the Baylors, or Methodist in terms of quality of training. Case volumes (reportedly) are good across the board, all have a good rep, and Houston and Dallas are nice places to live if you like a large city/mild climate. The consensus opinions I've found seem to be in favor of Methodist being a little better than Baylor Houston for reasons due to the infamous split. Baylor Houston a little better than Baylor Dallas. And UTSW somewhere in the middle. TX A&M is ok, but the location is rural. Haven't heard anything about UT Houston. Again, all points are easily arguable depending on who you ask, and I'm not sure if any subjective differences would be tangible in terms of actual training.
I made my choice of where to apply based on the advice of the attendings I work with as well. It is nice to have someone who knows the inside of the program to provide advice.

What you just mentioned is precisely what I've heard. Unfortunately (and this touches on the post below) my attendings are all inbred and only TWO were trained at a facility different than the one we are at :(. But basically they counselled me to decide where I'm willing to live and where I am NOT willing to live, if I have a specific interest and am looking for a large referral center for that, and ended by saying any accredited program will train you well- which, in reality, is comforting LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, and I only applied to UT Houston and Methodist- haven't heard anything from either yet (I chose those two from my current fellow's rec, she interviewed at those and Baylor and said it may "fit me" better)

Oh, and I only applied to UT Houston and Methodist- haven't heard anything from either yet (I chose those two from my current fellow's rec, she interviewed at those and Baylor and said it may "fit me" better)
I have not heard from them either.... Last Friday I heard from Iowa but had to turn it down because the date conflicted with another interview.

Am I impatient? Or are the post-holiday interviews just not rolling in that quickly?
Btw, Vanderbilt did not offer me an interview. Womp, womp.

Am I impatient? Or are the post-holiday interviews just not rolling in that quickly?
Btw, Vanderbilt did not offer me an interview. Womp, womp.

yeah, kind of expected to hear from a few more this week. anyone heard anything about Vandy being heavy research during 1st year (like almost a dedicated research year)? their main vasc page is down.