Vascular surgery fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, have to pick and choose. I went for UT knoxville and EVMS.

Members don't see this ad.

not yet .... one of the programs emailed to ask a question about my application. but no interviews yet

has anyone heard from mayo clinic/cleveland clinic and boston programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think pre-interview dinners are important to get the feel of the program. I attended them for the residency interviews and feel that they helped a lot when it came to ranking places.

Just heard from Mass Gen, University of Michigan, and University of Arizona

Anyone know the statistics on match rate / competitiveness of VS in recent years?

As of 2014, there were 114 applicants. 103 matched. and # of unfilled programs was 10.

UCLA and Stanford have sent out invitations for interviews. University of Washington just sent out an email saying that will let people know by the end of the month.

I dont know about the safe number unfortunately. But all the fellows I have talked to on the interview trail said that they interviewed at about eight to ten programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from northwestern and harvard affiliated programs in boston this week :D

Anyone have a checklist of what they are planning on looking out for on their interviews? E.g., # months or general relationship with cardiology/radiology, job placement of past fellows, etc?

Just heard from USC, Washington, and UCSD this week. The only west coast school I haven't heard from is UCLA Harbor. Has anyone heard anything?

HKMD: Not a lot. Have heard its a low to middle tier program. at this point, they are all appearing the same :)

vascfellow: UCLA harbor have almost completed their interviews.

my fellow resident interviewed there. first class starting 2015. big gen surgery program (9 resident/year). dont know details about quality of cases but they have over 5 vascular attendings to work with. not sure if thats of any help.

good luck

What do we do with new absite scores? Send them to programs? Upload to ERAS?

I asked several program coordinators on the interview days about that - they said they did not require the scores for this year .

The only program that has been emailing to ask about most recent absite scores is EVMS. I emailed them the score individually.

Hope this helps.

Can someone offer some insight into organizing programs into tiers? high, middle and low.

Location, Esperit Du Coeur, Academics, Clinical Volume, Career Planning, Tech advancement, Wild Card: and each gets a modifier for importance

Bump. For 2016 Match year (2017-2019 fellowship). Because I'm neurotic. And I hate ERAS.

Apparently we are the only neurotic ones around... haven't seen an official thread starting for this year yet. :)

Submitted. That money would have been nice to spend on Christmas presents. :(

Does anyone else think it is weird that a lot of the programs want the MSPE (Dean's letter) from med school?

I'm right behind you...just waiting for my LORs! That MSPE letter took some digging for my residency office to find. How many programs did you apply to?

I'm right behind you...just waiting for my LORs! That MSPE letter took some digging for my residency office to find. How many programs did you apply to?

Submit your application! They can get the LORs as they are uploaded, you don't have to wait. I am lucky in that our Program Coordinator is a gem and also a packrat. It only took her a couple minutes to find it. Also my program is like J. Edgar Hoover and keeps files on us that are like 6-inches by this point - and they never get rid of them. One of the newer attendings applied here for residency back in the day and they still had his file from that. :confused:

I applied to WAY TOO MANY. 35. Absolutely no plans to interview at all that even if I were to be lucky enough to get that many invites. People kept suggesting places I should look at and I kept adding to the list... until I finally just had to stick my fingers in my ears and say "No More!"

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to WAY TOO MANY. 35. Absolutely no plans to interview at all that even if I were to be lucky enough to get that many invites. People kept suggesting places I should look at and I kept adding to the list... until I finally just had to stick my fingers in my ears and say "No More!"

Okay, that makes me feel better about my 30! :)

Heard from Wake Forest today! Anyone else start hearing from programs yet?