Vascular texts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterfly0660

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my 3rd year vascular rotation, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for vascular text books. Schwartz, Cameron, etc don't always seem to go into enough detail when it comes to vascular surgery. Did any of you buy separate vascular surgery text books, or are those geared more towards vascular fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

cameron vascular chapters, combat manual for vascular surgery, advanced surgical recall and netter are a good start for even an R-3 on vascular.

once you master these- move on to rutherford, and vascular surgery approaches.

Rutherford is the classic text. I never knew any resident except those going into Vascular who had it.

I used my Greenfield and Cameron, one of the atlases and our Vascular Department gave us this: http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Vasc...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245289888&sr=1-1

I also had the Trauma handbook as well which supplemented the above.

Probably enough for R3. Are you just now finally doing Vascular?

I did it R1, R2 and R5. A nice tour capped off with me telling a Vascular Attending "F-Off" 2 weeks before graduation. Got a high five from the PD who hated him too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yeah, we do vascular as a 1, 3, and a 5. So I did it as an intern, but was way too new to do a lot of vascular reading!!

I agree with everyone else. For your purposes on an R3 rotation in Vascular Surgery, the chapters in Cameron should be fine. For a vascular "atlas" for different approaches in open vascular surgery either Wind & Valentine (best) or the Zarins/Gewertz book (okay).

No need for Rutherford now. Heck, I doubt if most Vascular Surgery fellows even read much of Rutherford during the fellowship. More likely the Moore book, I would guess...

Enjoy your rotation! It's really a great specialty (despite what WS might tell you). :)