VCOM (Carolina) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For all of those that received an interview, what was the turn around from receiving that invitation from when you application was complete? Trying to form a time table that's all. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I interview tomorrow! Wondered around Spartanburg today, I love it. Any words of advice from those who interviewed already?

For all of those that received an interview, what was the turn around from receiving that invitation from when you application was complete? Trying to form a time table that's all. Thanks.
I'm not sure of the exact day count, but I know that I had only submitted my application approximately a week before they called me to interview.

I interview tomorrow! Wondered around Spartanburg today, I love it. Any words of advice from those who interviewed already?

Congrats! My biggest advice is to relax. The faculty there at the school are really awesome! The interviews are extremely laid back. I would advise you to have a good understanding of the difference between osteopathic and allopathic & why you want to go into osteopathic med. as everyone I interviewed with asked me those questions.

Members don't see this ad :)

A little over two weeks for me: Complete on 8/19. Interview invite on 9/6.

Last edited:
Does VCOM have a student host program? I am scheduled to interview on 10/11 and wouldn't mind hooking up with a current student the day/evening prior. I'm trying to let medical school, not the application process, bankrupt me.:D

Does VCOM have a student host program? I am scheduled to interview on 10/11 and wouldn't mind hooking up with a current student the day/evening prior. I'm trying to let medical school, not the application process, bankrupt me.:D

That's a good question. I honestly don't think that they do but I could be wrong. Most of the other applicants that were there when I interviewed were staying at the Marriot right down the street from the school. I was lucky enough to have a few friends from undergrad who were there, so one of them let me crash at his place.

Hey I'm a current first year and we dont have a host program set up but me and my roommate asked Mattie if we could inform interviewees that they could stay at our place and she said she would think about it. If you're interested send me a message and I'll give you some more info! I know it gets expensive paying for the flights/hotels/cars and such for interviews. Good luck!

Hey I'm a current first year and we dont have a host program set up but me and my roommate asked Mattie if we could inform interviewees that they could stay at our place and she said she would think about it. If you're interested send me a message and I'll give you some more info! I know it gets expensive paying for the flights/hotels/cars and such for interviews. Good luck!

Now there's a good testament to the caliber of students that VCOM-CC admits. Here's hoping to joining you in Spartanburg next year. :D

Now there's a good testament to the caliber of students that VCOM-CC admits. Here's hoping to joining you in Spartanburg next year. :D

+1 :thumbup:

I've only been on a couple of interviews, but the students at VCOM-CC were, by far, the friendliest. No one ever hesitated to strike up a conversation, offer their encouragement, or help me figure out where I was going (I'm totally directionally challenged). They all seem happy to be here. It gave me a really good impression of the school.

+1 :thumbup:

I've only been on a couple of interviews, but the students at VCOM-CC were, by far, the friendliest. No one ever hesitated to strike up a conversation, offer their encouragement, or help me figure out where I was going (I'm totally directionally challenged). They all seem happy to be here. It gave me a really good impression of the school.

Definitely. A friend of mine goes here, and she is totally in love with this school. Every time I talk to her she has more stories about how great this school, its faculty and staff, and its students are. It's by far my top choice.

Got a call from Mattie this morning, accepted into the class of 2016!!! Interviewed yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended the Carolinas Campus open house this past Saturday and was very impressed by the facilities and staff. Top notch stuff! I love their vision for missions and underserved work especially. My application is in so I hope to hear from them soon!

Interview this Monday. Very excited about the school.

So I called VCOM today and they said my application had to be reviewed by another committee. They said I wasn't invited for interview, on hold, or rejected but I was in some other category that required further review and could push back a decision by a month. Did anyone else have this happen or know what it means? Thanks

So I called VCOM today and they said my application had to be reviewed by another committee. They said I wasn't invited for interview, on hold, or rejected but I was in some other category that required further review and could push back a decision by a month. Did anyone else have this happen or know what it means? Thanks

Could mean lots of things, but I'd venture to guess that it's because you are trying to transfer from another med school. It might require more discussion than a regular applicant does.

Could mean lots of things, but I'd venture to guess that it's because you are trying to transfer from another med school. It might require more discussion than a regular applicant does.

yeah could be..although its not an official transfer and i did not indicate i was in another med. school because technically im not until i finish my MPH in december. if they asked i would be perfectly honest with them. they did mention wanting to take a closer look at my sGPA since it took a dive after Ochem but i was able to bring it back up senior year.

For those of you who got accepted and/or offered to interview, would you mind giving your GPA/MCAT stats? I'd just like to have an idea of what they are accepting for this school in particular. Thanks!

Congrats Chirality, look forward to meeting you on the 15th! I can't wait to get down there, everything I heard about the school and the city has all been wonderful!

yeah I can't wait! I love the international and local community service opportunities that are available at the school.

Congrats Rjelalam ! when were you complete ?

yeah I can't wait! I love the international and local community service opportunities that are available at the school.

Hey Chirality! That is really what brought me to the school as well! It isn't beat by any other school I found on the service front, as well as the technology front for that matter! The whole mission mindedness of VCOM (body, mind, and spirit) really sealed the deal for me. I can't wait to be going to VCOM-Carolinas Campus next fall!

hey guys!

I interviewed with VCOM and I was just wondering, if I were to be accepted do I have the option for delayed admission? Do all schools typically offer delayed admissions? Thanks.

I got the call this morning, ACCEPTED to the class of 2016! I'm hoping you guys and girl that I interviewed with got in too!

To all of you who have been accepted, Congrats! I was also a part of the early decision and am very excited to be heading to Spartanburg next year! If you also know you are going to be heading to VCOM - CC next fall, there is a facebook site for us! Check out: VCOM-Carolinas Campus (CC), Class of 2016!

Good luck to everyone and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Looking forward to meeting you all!
Did you make VCOM-Carolinas Campus (CC), Class of 2016 an open group on facebook? I was unable to locate it.

Did you make VCOM-Carolinas Campus (CC), Class of 2016 an open group on facebook? I was unable to locate it.

The group is now set to open meaning that anyone "should be able to" see the group and who is in it. If this is not the case please let me know. Either way, to make it easier to find, the groups name is now set to "VCOM Class of 2016: Carolinas Campus." If anyone still has trouble, please do not hesitate to contact me. Unfortunately, whenever I search for it, it always works because I am already in the group! : )

As always, Congratulation to all of you who have been accepted so far! I can't wait to get to know you all!

Last edited:
I got the acceptance call today as well! Loved the school! I still can't find the facebook group, I even copy and pasted.

does VCOM accept deferred admission requests? If so, is this easy to do?

did any of you guys that get accepted get a call from admissions prior to submitting your secondary?

Got the call this morning for an interview on Dec 5th. This is by far and away my top choice of ANY med school,so I was pretty darn happy when they called. Here's hoping that I can join the ranks of those of you who are already accepted. :thumbup:

Thanks! I submitted my secondary on 10/10, but my application was delayed due to my DO lor not being received until this week. I got the "application complete" email on Wednesday.

does VCOM accept deferred admission requests? If so, is this easy to do?
I'm not sure on VCOM's policy for deferred admissions. It's probably best to give Mattie a call in Admissions, I'm sure she'd be willing to answer any questions that you have!

I'm interviewing on 11/29....anyone interviewing on this date?
Would love to get accepted into VCOM-CC heard a lot of great things
Hoping to join all of the accepted students...Congrats!!

I'm interviewing on 11/29....anyone interviewing on this date?
Would love to get accepted into VCOM-CC heard a lot of great things
Hoping to join all of the accepted students...Congrats!!
I am interviewing 11/29 as well! :)

I am coming from the Savannah, Georgia area and am staying at the Comfort Suites Hotel! What about you?