VCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TA225

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would make a new thread for the class of 2014.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all! I'm applying to VCOM for the class of 2014! Does anyone know what the average matriculant GPA and MCAT score is for VCOM?

Class of 2012
scienceGPA 3.53
cumGPA 3.59
MCAT 24

This is from their website.

I am thinking about applying here, not sure yet. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that they would start calling people for secondaries in July :eek:
I really hope so...that would be awesome!

Hey everyone!!! I am on the waitlist for the Class of 2013, but if I don't get in off the waitlist, I have an early acceptance for the class of 2014 :). I had another acceptance to a school this year, but loved VCOM so I'm going to wait and see what happens. So I may be joining you in class. Good luck with your applications!!

Yesterday I received an email from VCOM stating that I am "on hold" for the secondary application and that they will review my primary application in approx. 2 months from now (I'm not from VA or the Appalachian region btw).

Yesterday I received an email from VCOM stating that I am "on hold" for the secondary application and that they will review my primary application in approx. 2 months from now (I'm not from VA or the Appalachian region btw).

Write them a letter of interest highlighting why you view VCOM is a strong program and why VCOM is the school for you. Lots of us did that this past year and wound up with subsequent acceptances. Good luck.

Write them a letter of interest highlighting why you view VCOM is a strong program and why VCOM is the school for you. Lots of us did that this past year and wound up with subsequent acceptances. Good luck.
Thx. I was kinda expecting this but not so early in the season! :laugh:. (so I will have to write that letter sooner than I thought) Congrats on your acceptance!

I received an email from VCOM today saying that they received my AACOMAS app and would get back to me with in a week. Do they really get back to you in that long? Has anyone else gotten a similar email?

I received an email from VCOM today saying that they received my AACOMAS app and would get back to me with in a week. Do they really get back to you in that long? Has anyone else gotten a similar email?

I got that email from them 2 days ago (Wed) and received the secondary from them this morning. I was suprised/impressed that they were so quick.

I'll be applying! I'm waiting to be verified atm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup I received the secondary as well. It's pretty extensive, but only 3 (or 4 if your a re-app) short answer/essay responses. I hope to bang this one out by early next week :thumbup:

For the people that have gotten emails/calls/whatever... are you saying you received the email/call 2 days after AACOMAS approved your app?

For the people that have gotten emails/calls/whatever... are you saying you received the email/call 2 days after AACOMAS approved your app?

Originally received an email saying they would contact me within a week to update me on the status of my app. Two days later received the secondary. By the way do they rlly wana know about rolling through a stop sign ?

Originally received an email saying they would contact me within a week to update me on the status of my app. Two days later received the secondary. By the way do they rlly wana know about rolling through a stop sign ?

I have been told that it is best to get it out in the open instead of just not mentioning it at all. I did a mock-interview with some med students, and that was the advice that they gave me. They said that in some cases the reports the schools get are not descriptive and it's better for you to tell them exactly what happened rather than assume they know for sure that it was just rolling through a stop sign.

Sorry to be aggravating... but how long did it take AACOMAS to review your application? Mine is taking forever...

I have been told that it is best to get it out in the open instead of just not mentioning it at all. I did a mock-interview with some med students, and that was the advice that they gave me. They said that in some cases the reports the schools get are not descriptive and it's better for you to tell them exactly what happened rather than assume they know for sure that it was just rolling through a stop sign.

Sorry to be aggravating... but how long did it take AACOMAS to review your application? Mine is taking forever...

Like 4 weeks. I'm thinking maybe they r referring to misdemeaner traffic violations idk how I'm supposed to remember a detail of even at all web I got a ticket

how goes the secondary for everyone? anybody submitted or heard back?

I still havent heard back for secondaries, I sent in my primaries three weeks ago.
How long did it take for those of you that got your secondaries back?

I still havent heard back for secondaries, I sent in my primaries three weeks ago.
How long did it take for those of you that got your secondaries back?

If you sent in your primaries 3 weeks ago, I'm assuming that they haven't been verified yet. One my primaries were verified it took about 3 days to get the secondary from VCOM.

Just so you all know... VCOM is probably the most judicious and well-timed school I dealt with in my application season. After being called for my acceptance (a few hours after the adcom met) I received the paper acceptance the next day. When I withdrew, I received a confirmation the next day as well. Blacksburg is about 400 miles away from Philadelphia. I was impressed. Just know, they have a great communication network both in-school and out-of-school.

Just so you all know... VCOM is probably the most judicious and well-timed school I dealt with in my application season. After being called for my acceptance (a few hours after the adcom met) I received the paper acceptance the next day. When I withdrew, I received a confirmation the next day as well. Blacksburg is about 400 miles away from Philadelphia. I was impressed. Just know, they have a great communication network both in-school and out-of-school.

How long after finishing your secondary did it take to hear back for an interview? Thanks for your input on all this.

Hi.. I am also on the waitlist for VCOM class of 2013, with a guaranteed seat for next year.. if I do not make it this year…so I will be joining you guys. :)

I just want to let you all know that when I applied last year first I was on the pre-secondary hold.. then.. post secondary hold. After taking MiketheGipper’s advice ( Thanks so much Mike) I wrote a letter of interest and then another… and got my interview this past March. Now I am going to be part of a great school and I am totally happy.

So don't get discouraged if you are put on hold and if you really like VCOM, you have to let them know that, and write those letter. It took me 3 letters and I got my interview. I totally love VCOM and cannot wait to start.

Good luck to all of you applying this year.

Cheers :)

Like many of you soon-to-be VCOM students (woohoo!) I was also put on the Wait List for the class of 2013...and offered early acceptance to the class of 2014!!!

Does anyone know when the last offers for the class of 2013 go out? Late July or early Aug.? When does orientation start? Classes start?

Does anyone know how the computer purchasing process works? I would like to buy a new Mac but want to wait to get the VCOM discount...if I get a last minute offer for this fall, how does this work? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...I thought I stumbled upon a page somewhere in the VCOM website that listed discounted prices for Macbooks (as well as other computer manufacturers other than Dell)...however, upon trying to find that page again I was unsuccessful (maybe someone out there can find it, if it exists). I'll keep you posted.

i received an email from vcom telling me they don't want to interview me at this time... and btw my stats are well above their average* . Numbers really aren't everything. I am assuming they don't necessarily like people not from the region and/or my secondary essay with my week analysis of rural medicine :confused: i really don't know

Last edited:
i received an email from vcom telling me they don't want to interview me at this time... and btw my stats are well above their average* . Numbers really aren't everything. I am assuming they don't necessarily like people not from the region and/or my secondary essay with my week analysis of rural medicine :confused: i really don't know

That's weird. I requested info about my status the other day and got an email saying my file was complete and should hear from them in a couple weeks. Anyone else on here hear ANYTHING from VCOM concerning interviews/file status???

Never mind. Just got my email too. It says VCOM has decided to place my file "on hold" and not grant me an interview but not reject my file at the moment either. I think it is like what the other poster said, they are going to initially embrace applicants from the region which I guess is understandable.

Never mind. Just got my email too. It says VCOM has decided to place my file "on hold" and not grant me an interview but not reject my file at the moment either. I think it is like what the other poster said, they are going to initially embrace applicants from the region which I guess is understandable.

Don't get frustrated. My application was initially put on hold for an interview, but I eventually received one. My advice would be to write letters of interest to show your enthusiasm towards VCOM. It may help you receive an interview. Good luck with your applications and hope things work out for you!

Don't get frustrated. My application was initially put on hold for an interview, but I eventually received one. My advice would be to write letters of interest to show your enthusiasm towards VCOM. It may help you receive an interview. Good luck with your applications and hope things work out for you!

I would agree...send a LOI (up to once a month...more than that may be a little much) stating why the school would be an excellent fit for you (area, curriculum, clinical opportunities, etc.). If you're interested in mission medicine I would highly recommend stressing that point in your LOI's. They are huge advocates of MM and will most likely eat it up! Just remember, persistence is key.

Hope this helps.

I can't add much info about VCOM in terms of the application cycle but I can back up what another poster above said about their communication... phenomenal. I have not applied (yet) but I contaced the Adcom with a basic "here's my story... could I possibly be a fit for your school" type of email. One day later I received a VERY cordial reply from a nice lady in admissions giving me information and hints on what I should do and then she offered something that floored me. She told me to send her my transcripts and she would personally review them and show them to the admissions director and help me with further advice and direction. Seriously. She didn't offer this for a current applicant or someone with top of the line stats that they were trying to woo to their school (trust me, my stats are anything but spectacular)... she offered it for someone who contacted her out of the blue and showed interest, desire, and initiative. I can't say enough about how this impressed me so I sent my transcripts to her directly last week. 5 days later I receive another email from her saying that she'd reviewed my stuff and talked it all over with the director and helped detail me out a plan on what I could do to improve my chances and what I needed to do to gain acceptance. Seriously, this fine lady went COMPELTELY out of her way to help me and went above and beyond what ANYONE else would do or what anyone could expect and she did it in the middle of the busiest part of the admissions cycle. She is truly a gem and she speaks even more highly of the other members of the admissions team so from my personal opinion this place should be hard to beat. I know it's one person but it was an outstanding effort and it reflects well on the school and seeing so many other positive acounts above I have no doubt that VCOM would be a great place to go to school. And no.. I won't tell you who she was so you can inundate her with emails :D Just wanted to draw attention to the fact that there are great people working there in admissions and I am sure throughout the entire school.

hey got the email and call...moved off the waitlist for 2013 and since there is very little movement from it they are sure in offering me acceptance for the class of 2014!!! :laugh: well....i guess this is all good judging on how late (very late) I applied.....word to all applicants...don't waste time finish everything early....my interview was in April, 2009 and all those were pretty much for a waitlist position!!those of us who made it were lucky...I found the interviews as very relaxed. They did seem to want to know how I think osteopathic medicine fits into the healthcare climate of 2009....and how does your background and life experience reflect the ideals of oseteopathic medicine...one interview did throw a curveball, so be prepared to answer something under pressure...they just want to see how you will react and not bull**** your way through...haha see youz at accepted students day in march!!:thumbup: oh yeah...the free lunch on interview day was awesome...make sure to order from both sides of the menu!!!

i received an email saying that they will not interview me until they get people form that area first......are they really that region preference???

i received an email saying that they will not interview me until they get people form that area first......are they really that region preference???

This is what I figured when I got the email that said I was "on hold" at this time. If you really read their mission statement and school vision it is pretty clear that they give great preference to people from the region, as that was the purpose of the school being built.

But I applied there anyway as they have a great reputation and they have a big focus on primary care.

i never realized how stressful all the waiting is... i mean i heard stories... but i always disregarded them because i always felt i was pretty mellow when it comes to such matters... but this is totally different... i got an email from VCOM on july 1st stating they are currently reviewing my application... havent heard anything since... i hear it can take up to 2 months... i think i am going to have a hard time sleeping soon...

From NYC long island!
I received email that they said they will interview me in november....pretty specific month...so i guess i have to wait till november.....anybody else got specific moth notice????

Where are you from? My classmates come from all over, but the vast majority of them are from the Appalachian states.

From NYC long island!
I received email that they said they will interview me in november....pretty specific month...so i guess i have to wait till november.....anybody else got specific moth notice????

Nope. Just an email that said we will not interview you at this time but will review your file again in the future. So basically you kind of got an interview invite and November isn't bad. Still fairly early in the interview process.

you huys are sure about that? B/c it doenst have specific dates!!! Well Good luck to everyone thi cycle....will se you guys during interview!

Ohh, Long Island? Hmmm, don't know anyone from Long Island. You might be the first!

Way to go on getting a November interview. That's still way early for VCOM. I interviewed at the end of January and got accepted two weeks later.

So I had two questions about VCOM:

First, I think I read somewhere on their website that during the latter years rotations there is the option to work at some military sites. I'm planning on doing ARMY HPSP and was wondering if this was true.

Second question, was about their GPA policy. I read in last years thread that VCOM values GPA over MCAT quite a bit. Is it worth me applying from Long Island, NY with a 3.21gpa, 32MCAT (I do want to eventually practice in a rural setting). Thanks for any input.