VCOM Post-bac 2014/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul Darlington

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone applying or did anyone apply and got accepted??

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to know too! I am interested in applying to their post-bacc. Paul, do you happen to know their GPA/MCAT averages for this year's class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I applied early January and waiting to hear back

I would love to know too! I am interested in applying to their post-bacc. Paul, do you happen to know their GPA/MCAT averages for this year's class?

They have listed that a minimum gpa of 2.75 is required but anything above a 3.0 makes you competitive. It is also better to actually take the MCAT before the program so you can concentrate on the classes and make the gpa cutoff and enter their next DO class

Hey I applied early January and waiting to hear back
Damn, January, I applied to February and I thought I was behind lol. They are just slow and no one never picks up their phone calls smh

yea from the previous threads it seems like everyone had to wait over 2 months, I am hoping they will send out acceptances tomorrow

Lol tomorrow? Do they usually send them out on Fridays or something?

alot of people from the previous years got their acceptances on friday

Reactions: 1 users
I pray so because the waiting game is killing me!!

same here I cant wait any longer, I was expecting a decision by early march...

Reactions: 1 user
Me too, I read somewhere they are really slow with the application process. Anyway if I may ask, why you considering post-bacc?

FYI there is no federal financial aid available for this program

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, I read somewhere they are really slow with the application process. Anyway if I may ask, why you considering post-bacc?
well the postbacc program will be a good preparation before starting med school, and to show med schools that I can handle the curriculum. I also think that it will be very interesting to be taking upper level medical science courses. Overall the postbacc will increase my chances of admittance into med school. how about you?

I have a ton of friends who have been in the post bacc who are now presently in med school! If you can get into the post bacc and keep their requirements you will almost certainly have a spot at vcom.

I have a ton of friends who have been in the post bacc who are now presently in med school! If you can get into the post bacc and keep their requirements you will almost certainly have a spot at vcom.
Thanks dutchie000, do you know what were their stats when they applied to the postbacc?

No, I assume around 3.0-3.3 though. They're smart guys, just partied a little hard in college. I do know a girl who got rejected with below a 3.0. Are you from VA?

Im from Illinois. Did you apply to the program ?

No, I went to their open house and they told me I would be a competitive applicant for medical school. I thought about it though

Did anyone get their acceptance yet? Their slow pace is killing me, this is a freaking post-bac application, not some f***** med school application. Wth!

Did anyone get their acceptance yet? Their slow pace is killing me, this is a freaking post-bac application, not some f***** med school application. Wth!

I did some digging through these forums and found that most people were accepted late April. I also applied to this program - I really hope we do hear back in 2 weeks or so.

I did some digging through these forums and found that most people were accepted late April. I also applied to this program - I really hope we do hear back in 2 weeks or so.
Oh wow, good luck and hope you get accepted into it. I am particularly no more interested.

Got acceptance e-mail today, anyone else? I talked to a VCOM med student friend of mine who told me the school sends out a listserv excel file or something like that with some particulars about other students, such as likes to study late... things like that. They do this so people can contact possible roommates for M1. If anyone knows if the post-bacc does this, feel free to leave info. If anyone is interested in compiling one, I don't mind crafting something. If anyone planning to go there is interested you can send me a PM.

Got acceptance e-mail today, anyone else? I talked to a VCOM med student friend of mine who told me the school sends out a listserv excel file or something like that with some particulars about other students, such as likes to study late... things like that. They do this so people can contact possible roommates for M1. If anyone knows if the post-bacc does this, feel free to leave info. If anyone is interested in compiling one, I don't mind crafting something. If anyone planning to go there is interested you can send me a PM.
Congrats on the acceptance, when did you apply, and what was your stats if you dont mind sharing?

I guess we are on the same boat, anxiously waiting for the reply. :(

Im hoping we hear something this week or the next

If you get in, e-mail Julianne Smartt to get on the housing list-serv. She has a great list of people currently seeking roommates, as well as a list of housing options that people in the area are renting. It will save you a lot of time in searching for housing. The Knollwood apartments basically share a parking lot with the post bacc site which is optimal.

Hey everyone! I just got my acceptance email last week. Does anyone know what day our classes start??

Hey guys and gals! Congrats on your acceptance to the VCOM post-bacc program! I just finished and am moving to a different apartment for next year, so I'm looking to sub-lease my apartment for next year. I'm at the Crossing at Knollwood, easy walking distance from VCOM and the post-bacc building. Rent is $500 for the smaller room, $548 for the master bedroom. Sent me an email at [email protected] if you are interested, or if you have any questions about the post-bacc program!

Hello!

I have been accepted to the 2014-2015 post-bacc program at VCOM. I applied in early February. I am looking for a female roommate to live with in the apartments right across from VCOM (4 minute walk) so let me know if anyone is interested :)

Congrats to everyone accepted! See you in July!

Lindsay

Hey Guys I am a previous post bacc and now officially MS1. You guys are doing a great thing by applying, hands down the best thing I could have done for myself. Numbers are numbers and they do matter, but they are true to their word. Every year they are getting more and more applicants and taking better numbers, but they sincerely look at personal statements etc... For those that are waiting, you must realize that the people who run the post bacc program are about 3 people and they really take time with every single application. That is why it takes so long. I had applied in December the prior year and I called one day in June and found out that I was accepted, but that they had just sent my letter. If you applied to VCOM, they also are looking to see if you are a candidate for the medical school if something were to happen with the waiting list etc. Had one person I know that applied to the post bacc and then they took into the medical school the year I was in it two days before post bacc classes started. So waiting is always the worst part.

As far as once you are accepted into the Post Bacc. Do yourself a favor if you dont have a 24 on the mcat then study all summer for it prior to getting into and starting the program, I would wait to take it until the program tells you to though. To VCOM grades are paramount and they will not accept you if in the program you don't maintain a minimum of a 3.6 based on all the numbers I knew of people having etc...(there is nothing in writing on what I say, but I can promise you I am a good resource.) There were people in my class with 32 mcat scores who took the post bacc and did not get accepted to the school after because they did not maintain the grades. That being said, study all the time you can before school starts on the MCAT and if you are low in BS section, the post bacc brought my score up 4 points in BS alone, but by studying for the mcat early, if you feel ready then take it early or you can focus on grades more, because it will be extremely hard to maintain the grades and put in sufficient time for the mcat. So overall word to the wise is get the 24 so that you can focus solely on maintaining a 3.6 gpa, which will give you guaranteed acceptance. The numbers reported online just to be honest are false advertisement. Less than half of every class the past few years has gotten in, and if you don't get the grades and the mcat of 24 by Christmas time, chances of going to the virginia campus are much lower, and most people are offered acceptance on the second round of post bacc admissions to south carolina's campus. All of these details may seem scary, but the program is the best ever, a ton of hard work though. The school is one big family and everyone is super nice, but if you are going to do a post bacc, its not the backdoor to medical school everyone thinks it is and the faculty that run the program will make you work through it like you never have before, but thats any post bacc program. This is a transition to medical school where you will study more hours than you have daylight and if you dont know that going in and cant commit to that, dont waste the 16grand that the program costs, or did when I got in. When you come in if you are wise you will be squared away with living etc so that you can focus on your grades more than you ever have before. If you apply yourself and do what every person who has ever got into medical school has had to do, which is work their absolute hardest, then chances are you will get in and then be very successful in the medical school as well. I came from undergrad where I didnt apply myself etc, and then figured out what it took to become a medical student and this program has made the complete difference. Every block in medical school this far has been way easier, because you basically are taught a lot of pieces of first year, but at a little slower pace, which you all will think is insane that the post bacc is slower, but like I said its the perfect transition.

If you haven't heard back yet, be patient or give the staff a call and be polite. There are only 3 people that I know of, maybe only 1 or 2 of the three that are running things and they are taking their time with the applications and finding the ones who fit this program right. This program has a lot to do about fit versus numbers, and so it takes a while. Once you are accepted, get things in line for yourself and study your hardest if you dont have the mcat numbers already.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Guys I am a previous post bacc and now officially MS1. You guys are doing a great thing by applying, hands down the best thing I could have done for myself. Numbers are numbers and they do matter, but they are true to their word. Every year they are getting more and more applicants and taking better numbers, but they sincerely look at personal statements etc... For those that are waiting, you must realize that the people who run the post bacc program are about 3 people and they really take time with every single application. That is why it takes so long. I had applied in December the prior year and I called one day in June and found out that I was accepted, but that they had just sent my letter. If you applied to VCOM, they also are looking to see if you are a candidate for the medical school if something were to happen with the waiting list etc. Had one person I know that applied to the post bacc and then they took into the medical school the year I was in it two days before post bacc classes started. So waiting is always the worst part.

As far as once you are accepted into the Post Bacc. Do yourself a favor if you dont have a 24 on the mcat then study all summer for it prior to getting into and starting the program, I would wait to take it until the program tells you to though. To VCOM grades are paramount and they will not accept you if in the program you don't maintain a minimum of a 3.6 based on all the numbers I knew of people having etc...(there is nothing in writing on what I say, but I can promise you I am a good resource.) There were people in my class with 32 mcat scores who took the post bacc and did not get accepted to the school after because they did not maintain the grades. That being said, study all the time you can before school starts on the MCAT and if you are low in BS section, the post bacc brought my score up 4 points in BS alone, but by studying for the mcat early, if you feel ready then take it early or you can focus on grades more, because it will be extremely hard to maintain the grades and put in sufficient time for the mcat. So overall word to the wise is get the 24 so that you can focus solely on maintaining a 3.6 gpa, which will give you guaranteed acceptance. The numbers reported online just to be honest are false advertisement. Less than half of every class the past few years has gotten in, and if you don't get the grades and the mcat of 24 by Christmas time, chances of going to the virginia campus are much lower, and most people are offered acceptance on the second round of post bacc admissions to south carolina's campus. All of these details may seem scary, but the program is the best ever, a ton of hard work though. The school is one big family and everyone is super nice, but if you are going to do a post bacc, its not the backdoor to medical school everyone thinks it is and the faculty that run the program will make you work through it like you never have before, but thats any post bacc program. This is a transition to medical school where you will study more hours than you have daylight and if you dont know that going in and cant commit to that, dont waste the 16grand that the program costs, or did when I got in. When you come in if you are wise you will be squared away with living etc so that you can focus on your grades more than you ever have before. If you apply yourself and do what every person who has ever got into medical school has had to do, which is work their absolute hardest, then chances are you will get in and then be very successful in the medical school as well. I came from undergrad where I didnt apply myself etc, and then figured out what it took to become a medical student and this program has made the complete difference. Every block in medical school this far has been way easier, because you basically are taught a lot of pieces of first year, but at a little slower pace, which you all will think is insane that the post bacc is slower, but like I said its the perfect transition.

If you haven't heard back yet, be patient or give the staff a call and be polite. There are only 3 people that I know of, maybe only 1 or 2 of the three that are running things and they are taking their time with the applications and finding the ones who fit this program right. This program has a lot to do about fit versus numbers, and so it takes a while. Once you are accepted, get things in line for yourself and study your hardest if you dont have the mcat numbers already.
Great advice thank you, I did not apply with an MCAT score ,and I was wondering if that will hurt my chances of getting in? I applied early January

Great advice thank you, I did not apply with an MCAT score ,and I was wondering if that will hurt my chances of getting in? I applied early January

They don't require an MCAT score. When I applied, they said the score could only help you, not hurt you. Many people in the program had not taken the MCAT.

Not totally sure on that one. Its designed to be a pre med program and help those who need a boost/ have never taken medical classes really so I would not think so, but I really cant say. If I get a chance Ill ask around for you.

Not totally sure on that one. Its designed to be a pre med program and help those who need a boost/ have never taken medical classes really so I would not think so, but I really cant say. If I get a chance Ill ask around for you.

Its another metric for them to evaluate. If you are a good applicant with no MCAT, then you have decent chances... but if that is the case, perhaps you should evaluate the value of enrolling in such a program vs. some good MCAT study courses. We had a few students in our class last year who hadn't taken the MCAT when they got accepted, but got in based on upward trend, good life experience, etc. Maybe they knew their MCAT wasn't going to be that great, or maybe they had and didn't want to admit their score to classmates, but most had taken it at least once.
It sounds kind of cheesy, but the program's dean told us all the first day that there was something in our application that made us special, something that stood out, some kind of potential. Programs like this are obviously for people who have some kind of deficiency in their application, but promise elsewhere.
If you get accepted without taking the MCAT (or with a low score) I would do all I can to make the most of the next 6 weeks and take the MCAT as soon as possible (meaning study hard and take it as soon as you can score near your potential). This isn't an easy program and you won't have much time to dedicate to MCAT studying and classes. If you don't get the minimum 24 MCAT by the December review, you'll be making your journey to acceptance much more difficult.
All that being said, for future applicants who are on the fence as application cycles end, this program (and many like it) cost like $100 do apply to. The value of these programs vary greatly by individuals, but in the grand scheme of things its a pretty minimal cost to keep options open.

Hi everyone,
I applied to VCOM and didn't get in and was offered to apply to their post-bacc program. So I did and received an email TODAY with my acceptance. They had my MCAT score, which wasn't too hot, but still got in and I plan to retake my MCAT this July and I'm still reapplying for medical school this year. Classes start July 21st and they gave me 30 days to respond. My question is, how big are the class sizes, and even though there is no guaranteed acceptance or interview, what are the odds of us post-bacc-ers in gaining an acceptance not only to VCOM but other schools. I was told reapplicants (if they improve their application) have a better odd of getting in the second time because it shows schools that you really want this. Is VCOMs post-bacc program well known to other schools? In other words, by doing this program are schools going to look at me better?

Hi everyone,
I applied to VCOM and didn't get in and was offered to apply to their post-bacc program. So I did and received an email TODAY with my acceptance. They had my MCAT score, which wasn't too hot, but still got in and I plan to retake my MCAT this July and I'm still reapplying for medical school this year. Classes start July 21st and they gave me 30 days to respond. My question is, how big are the class sizes, and even though there is no guaranteed acceptance or interview, what are the odds of us post-bacc-ers in gaining an acceptance not only to VCOM but other schools. I was told reapplicants (if they improve their application) have a better odd of getting in the second time because it shows schools that you really want this. Is VCOMs post-bacc program well known to other schools? In other words, by doing this program are schools going to look at me better?

There actually IS guaranteed acceptance, as long as you finish the first semester with a 3.6 gpa and score a 24 or above on your MCAT, you are guaranteed a spot at VCOM's med school the next year, you do not even need to formally interview. I'm not sure exactly how much this program would help you in regards to other schools, but it can definitely get you into VCOM. Hope this helps :)

At this point I don't even care whether I get in or not. I just would like to know the decision about my application....or my $27 back...:(

There actually IS guaranteed acceptance, as long as you finish the first semester with a 3.6 gpa and score a 24 or above on your MCAT, you are guaranteed a spot at VCOM's med school the next year, you do not even need to formally interview. I'm not sure exactly how much this program would help you in regards to other schools, but it can definitely get you into VCOM. Hope this helps :)
This is true, but there is one more requirement that is what everyone forgets about: a positive evaluation from faculty and staff when they meet to discuss your performance. This is the one that gets people in trouble if they have difficulty acting professionally or doing things like following the dress code.

So, the way to be successful in the post-bacc program:

1. Study like you have never studied before, and get that >=3.6 in the first semester, then MAINTAIN it during the second semester. If you let it drop below a 3.6, they would be within their rights to rescind your acceptance.
2. Study like you have never studied before, and get that >=24 MCAT.
3. Check any attitude you might have at the door, dress appropriately, act professionally around the faculty AND STAFF, and be very careful about your email correspondence with faculty/staff.

If the whole 60-ish some students followed these rules and hit the marks, all of them would get in (between the VA/SC campuses, and maybe the Auburn campus once it gets going). I don't know what the success rate has been in recent years, but really it's all up to the individual.

3.6? In medical school?

How do they expect people to be able to do that when there are people barely passing?

3.6? In medical school?

How do they expect people to be able to do that when there are people barely passing?

Exactly. Much harder than many people think since all the pre-meds assume it's like a 3.6 in undergrad!

Do you just need a 3.6 for the first semester or do you need to maintain that for both semesters?

Do you just need a 3.6 for the first semester or do you need to maintain that for both semesters?
They will admit you in December, however you must finish the second semester with a 3.6, as well. (It might be the average of the two semesters, I'm not sure.)