VCOM post bacc 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drchik4life

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/account/avatar
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey remaking this thread in the correct forum location lol.
Applying here this month and I really hope I can get in! Goodluck to anyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Im applying too; what are you guys stats if you don't mind me asking and have you heard anything back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im applying too; what are you guys stats if you don't mind me asking and have you heard anything back?
I have about 3.1ish so I'm not really sure how favorable that will be. 3.4 sounds great, you sound competitive for the program! Is that with grade replacements or your average? I spoke with Alisa today, she said they're still processing things from 2 weeks ago so I would give them some time if you applied recently

Just found out on Friday (3/27/15) that I was officially accepted. I applied around the second week of February to give you a perspective of the review time. For anyone wondering, I will be taking the MCAT this year, before the end of December and will be going through the application process. I have already completed all of the courses but now that the format has changed so I plan to take the according classes and then sit for the MCAT as well. Please feel free to ask questions about the application process or collaborate on your study plans or anything else you feel could help us all out. I'll do my best to help anyone out but like I said I just found out Friday so I am still very new to my acceptance. I wish everyone the best of luck and look forward to meeting everyone this July.

Just found out on Friday (3/27/15) that I was officially accepted. I applied around the second week of February to give you a perspective of the review time. For anyone wondering, I will be taking the MCAT this year, before the end of December and will be going through the application process. I have already completed all of the courses but now that the format has changed so I plan to take the according classes and then sit for the MCAT as well. Please feel free to ask questions about the application process or collaborate on your study plans or anything else you feel could help us all out. I'll do my best to help anyone out but like I said I just found out Friday so I am still very new to my acceptance. I wish everyone the best of luck and look forward to meeting everyone this July.
Congrats on your acceptance! I was wondering when you were complete and whether they told you if you were complete or not? Also what was your GPA if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

Hey all! I've just applied to the program last week, sending in my transcripts and pre-health letter this week :)

just got accepted what a relieve. now just go to figure out housing considering the fact that i am an out of state student.
i joined the fb but its still pending. I am looking for someone to lease an apartment together with. if anyone is interested its walking distance from vcom please contact me. i am a female by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have about 3.1ish so I'm not really sure how favorable that will be. 3.4 sounds great, you sound competitive for the program! Is that with grade replacements or your average? I spoke with Alisa today, she said they're still processing things from 2 weeks ago so I would give them some time if you applied recently

You'll hear from them through email. Make sure to check your spam folders, as people have said it got filtered to there. I didn't have that issue, but just a heads up!!

Does anyone know what the turn around time is for decision? I've read on previous forums that it has taken admissions at times over 2 months to get something out.

Does anyone know the start date for this program?

Just got accepted! I took the MCAT once but need to retake it in order to qualify for the next DO class. When does the MCAT have to be completed in order to still be considered for the next DO class (if you maintain a 3.6 gpa of course)???

Have your scores back by December for the committee to review. They schedule the fall semester typically for an MCAT exam in early Sept. STUDY NOW.

Have your scores back by December for the committee to review. They schedule the fall semester typically for an MCAT exam in early Sept. STUDY NOW.
Why does the website say September?

Why does the website say September?
The MCAT is in Sept as I said above. I said typically because its a new mcat and maybe theres different administration dates. I said study now bc you want to take it in sept ans get the score so you're done. So pick the concepts that you know you suck at and make them your strengths - acids/bases, electrochem etc. Or take the summer off and study for your courses and the mcat come july. The latter is a foolish move.

Hello, I just applied to VCOMs program. How do you find out if your application is complete?

It says they want scores by September so doesn't that mean to test in August?
Hi DS93,
Where do you see this? I checked the website and it says that the OLD MCAT score needs to be in by September of the year prior to matriculation. Did you try asking Alisa Hewitt?

Is it too late to apply? I know the application needs to be completed by May 1st, but the only thing missing from my application is the official transcripts. Should I still apply?

Hey everyone. I'm a current post-bac and will be starting my 1st year of med school here at VCOM in August as a result. I chime in because I'll likely be meeting many of you as the post-bac and med classes become (at least in the case of my class) pretty comfortable and friendly with one another. If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask. I know I came into the program looking for clarification on a few things so I thought I'd offer. Congrats and good luck nonetheless.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone. I'm a current post-bac and will be starting my 1st year of med school here at VCOM in August as a result. I chime in because I'll likely be meeting many of you as the post-bac and med classes become (at least in the case of my class) pretty comfortable and friendly with one another. If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask. I know I came into the program looking for clarification on a few things so I thought I'd offer. Congrats and good luck nonetheless.
Hi! I'm a current applicant and was wondering if you could please post about your overall experience in the program? How difficult it was to maintain the required 3.6 GPA for guaranteed admissions? Any other information that you may believe may be pertinent in making a decision between VCOM and another post bacc program?Thank you so much in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
No problem. I can't say enough positive things about the program. From the dean Dr. Hill to the instructors to the office staff Mrs. Herndon and Mrs. Hewitt everyone is beyond kind and supportive. I can honestly say I hadn't experienced the quality in educators I have before coming to this program. They will literally do anything you need to help you. We have a review session before almost every exam and that is done in the instructors free time simply because we asked for it. In terms of the material its not cake as you would imagine but if you are focused its not hard to maintain the 3.6. You'll have class until 12pm at the latest most days and its easy to get into a rhythm of going to class, going home for lunch, working out/errands and then going to the library for however long you need. They will accept the entire class if everyone meets the requirements (you will hear this quoted at orientation as we did I'm sure and they aren't kidding) so it is completely on you if you want to go to medical school. The material itself is a great head start in terms of preparation for med school as the teachers and med students will tell you the post-bacc program is essentially the first block of med school. I don't know anything about other post-baccs but the absolute certain acceptance they offer upon meeting the GPA/MCAT criteria following the first semester was an enormous plus for me. Blacksburg is a great place if you like outdoors (Dr. Hill invites the students on about 4-5 hikes during the first semester weekends) and you can find anything you want if you are open and go into downtown/VT's campus. VCOM's match list is always fantastic and this year was not any different so the ability to get into a quality med school like VCOM is another plus. Make sure you do whats best for you but I wouldn't change anything I did and will never have regrets following this program. Hope that helps.

No problem. I can't say enough positive things about the program. From the dean Dr. Hill to the instructors to the office staff Mrs. Herndon and Mrs. Hewitt everyone is beyond kind and supportive. I can honestly say I hadn't experienced the quality in educators I have before coming to this program. They will literally do anything you need to help you. We have a review session before almost every exam and that is done in the instructors free time simply because we asked for it. In terms of the material its not cake as you would imagine but if you are focused its not hard to maintain the 3.6. You'll have class until 12pm at the latest most days and its easy to get into a rhythm of going to class, going home for lunch, working out/errands and then going to the library for however long you need. They will accept the entire class if everyone meets the requirements (you will hear this quoted at orientation as we did I'm sure and they aren't kidding) so it is completely on you if you want to go to medical school. The material itself is a great head start in terms of preparation for med school as the teachers and med students will tell you the post-bacc program is essentially the first block of med school. I don't know anything about other post-baccs but the absolute certain acceptance they offer upon meeting the GPA/MCAT criteria following the first semester was an enormous plus for me. Blacksburg is a great place if you like outdoors (Dr. Hill invites the students on about 4-5 hikes during the first semester weekends) and you can find anything you want if you are open and go into downtown/VT's campus. VCOM's match list is always fantastic and this year was not any different so the ability to get into a quality med school like VCOM is another plus. Make sure you do whats best for you but I wouldn't change anything I did and will never have regrets following this program. Hope that helps.

All that you have described sounds spectacular. Highly anticipating the decision now. How many students are usually in the post bacc class and is the atmosphere itself very cut throat competitive or friendly? Just curious. Thank you for answering all the questions, really appreciate you taking your time out to help!

I was exactly where you are a year ago so I don't mind at all. My class has around 60 students. We lost a few people who decided to pursue other careers but that was a personal choice for them based on their own situations with family/grades/etc. The atmosphere is what you make it but ours is fantastic. Everyone goes out together to eat, hang out, go bowling, hiking, football games/tailgate, workout and so on. We have a Facebook group that everyone posts study guides and most people study at vcom together and help each other out. Like I said they will accept every person who meets the criteria so there is no competition. Also no curving as well and instead they simply drop questions based on statistical analysis after a test. Just try and make sure everyone is friendly and outgoing and it will be an amazing year. Some people studied alone the first semester, which is perfectly fine, but found themselves not hanging out with everyone and having fun when the opportunities arose. You're all in the same boat so if your here enjoy it. My name is Nick Gentry by the way and I'll be around Blacksburg this summer and obviously the next 2 years so don't be shy if you meet me!

Hi everyone, just got accepted and very excited for this opportunity!

Hi everyone, just got accepted and very excited for this opportunity!
Congrats!! Did you find out today? Also if you don't mind sharing when you submitted your application and possibly what your stats are? Thanks!

I was exactly where you are a year ago so I don't mind at all. My class has around 60 students. We lost a few people who decided to pursue other careers but that was a personal choice for them based on their own situations with family/grades/etc. The atmosphere is what you make it but ours is fantastic. Everyone goes out together to eat, hang out, go bowling, hiking, football games/tailgate, workout and so on. We have a Facebook group that everyone posts study guides and most people study at vcom together and help each other out. Like I said they will accept every person who meets the criteria so there is no competition. Also no curving as well and instead they simply drop questions based on statistical analysis after a test. Just try and make sure everyone is friendly and outgoing and it will be an amazing year. Some people studied alone the first semester, which is perfectly fine, but found themselves not hanging out with everyone and having fun when the opportunities arose. You're all in the same boat so if your here enjoy it. My name is Nick Gentry by the way and I'll be around Blacksburg this summer and obviously the next 2 years so don't be shy if you meet me!
Thank you so much for all the information, I'm literally growing impatient for the decision email from VCOM lol. I did have another question though, would you happen to know the average of what your post bacc class's stats were before matriculating into the program (ie. GPA)? Thanks again, really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Our class was pretty much all over the place in terms of stats. I'd say the majority had a low 3's GPA based on what I've learned over the course of the year. People are here because they either didn't apply themselves as much as they could have, had other interests in undergrad or had some other thing occur that kept them from showing their true potential. That being said there are a bunch of people who had pretty good GPA's but maybe had not taken the MCAT yet or had a previous low score. MCAT scores in the class ranged just as much. We had some people in the teens, a bunch in the high 20's-32ish, one all the way up to 39 and a bunch who had never taken it before coming in. I'd say about half had the minimum required MCAT score coming in while the rest studied over the course of the semester and took it during the program or just after.

Our class was pretty much all over the place in terms of stats. I'd say the majority had a low 3's GPA based on what I've learned over the course of the year. People are here because they either didn't apply themselves as much as they could have, had other interests in undergrad or had some other thing occur that kept them from showing their true potential. That being said there are a bunch of people who had pretty good GPA's but maybe had not taken the MCAT yet or had a previous low score. MCAT scores in the class ranged just as much. We had some people in the teens, a bunch in the high 20's-32ish, one all the way up to 39 and a bunch who had never taken it before coming in. I'd say about half had the minimum required MCAT score coming in while the rest studied over the course of the semester and took it during the program or just after.

Any idea how many students or what % of your class matriculated to VCOM this year?

Congrats!! Did you find out today? Also if you don't mind sharing when you submitted your application and possibly what your stats are? Thanks!

Found out earlier this week. I submitted a little later than most, like early to mid April.

Pretty average post-bacc'er stats --
sGPA: 3.2
cGPA: 3.35
MPH GPA: 3.85
MCAT <25

Any idea how many students or what % of your class matriculated to VCOM this year?
I'd say about half. Had a few people who got the MCAT score but couldn't make the GPA cut and a bunch that got the GPA but couldn't get the MCAT score. The biggest hindrance for people (as would be expected) was the MCAT score. Class average on most exams was around an 85 or up which correlated to a B+ (3.5 GPA) here. But like I've said given the guaranteed admission criteria it's completely up to you.