VCOM post bacc 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still waiting on results, and it's killing me! :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine has been in line to be looked at since the end of April!
Yeah I submitted my app mid march and Alisa informed me mid April that I'm in queue for my application to be processed and reviewed by committee...

Do you know typically how long they take for review?

So I applied to their D.O. program and got rejected, however they told me to have my app moved from the D.O. program to here so now I'm being considered for this. I'm sure I'm not the only one so that may be why it's taking a while to hear back for some of you.

So I applied to their D.O. program and got rejected, however they told me to have my app moved from the D.O. program to here so now I'm being considered for this. I'm sure I'm not the only one so that may be why it's taking a while to hear back for some of you.

Same here, hopefully will be hearing some good news soon!

I still need to figure a couple things out regarding this program. For example, should I still complete apps for different schools for 2016 or should I wait a while? Also, if I complete apps earlier and get admitted in say, december, why should I finish the program and what would happen with my tuition?

Our class was pretty much all over the place in terms of stats. I'd say the majority had a low 3's GPA based on what I've learned over the course of the year. People are here because they either didn't apply themselves as much as they could have, had other interests in undergrad or had some other thing occur that kept them from showing their true potential. That being said there are a bunch of people who had pretty good GPA's but maybe had not taken the MCAT yet or had a previous low score. MCAT scores in the class ranged just as much. We had some people in the teens, a bunch in the high 20's-32ish, one all the way up to 39 and a bunch who had never taken it before coming in. I'd say about half had the minimum required MCAT score coming in while the rest studied over the course of the semester and took it during the program or just after.

Thanks again for taking the time to field questions.

I was wondering how much lab-time was req.? Were all the lectures/tests lab-based? For Medical anatomy, do you work with actual cadavers along with current medical students?

Also i'm curious to know how people financed the tuition. Were there any scholarships available or just all loans?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Hi All!

I applied suuuuper late to the program (I submitted everything the day of the deadline :/) and still haven't heard back. I've emailed Alisa to get a status update but at this point I'm scared that they won't even look at my application since I submitted it so late :( which is a shame because it seems like an a great program and probably my top choice right now. I just got in to PCOM's biomedical sciences program and they want me to make a decision by June 1st, so I hope I get hear VCOM's decision before then... Is it a bad idea for me to let them know of my situation? Does it come off as not "caring enough" for their school if I tell them that I have to answer back to another school so any updates would be appreciated? I don't want to come off as uncaring, because in fact it's the opposite- VCOM is my TOP choice, which is why I don't want to commit anywhere else if I get in to VCOM. What should I do?

Hi All!

I applied suuuuper late to the program (I submitted everything the day of the deadline :/) and still haven't heard back. I've emailed Alisa to get a status update but at this point I'm scared that they won't even look at my application since I submitted it so late :( which is a shame because it seems like an a great program and probably my top choice right now. I just got in to PCOM's biomedical sciences program and they want me to make a decision by June 1st, so I hope I get hear VCOM's decision before then... Is it a bad idea for me to let them know of my situation? Does it come off as not "caring enough" for their school if I tell them that I have to answer back to another school so any updates would be appreciated? I don't want to come off as uncaring, because in fact it's the opposite- VCOM is my TOP choice, which is why I don't want to commit anywhere else if I get in to VCOM. What should I do?

I got into Rowan's biomed program and they want me to make a decision my May 27th. I made up my mind to pay the deposit with Rowan just as a backup even though my top choice is vcom. I applied April 6th and still haven't heard anything yet.

My stats are 3.0 sgpa/3.1 cgpa/ mid twenties Mcat.

Hang in there!! I know it's frustrating but think how good you'll feel when you DO get into vcom.

Can any current student tell me about the private loan situation? That kinda scares me :(

Hey guys I withdrew my admission last week so hopefully that will open up a spot of there isn't one already

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All!

I am in the same exact situation! VCOM is also my top choice and I don't want to commit anywhere else, but all the other deadlines are approaching and I don't know what to do. I also feel like I will be considered extremely pushy if I email Alisa over and over! I can't wait for all of this anxiety to be over.

On a positive note I think we all have a chance guys. The fact that VCOM pushed the deadline to May 25th must mean that they have spots open! Just think that some people may have finished their app yesterday and will still get looked at by the admissions' committee! Stay positive :)

How many times did you contact her? Cause I only emailed her once and didn't wanna sound pushy either .... Lol. But if you did it more than once then maybe I can say YOLO and do it again too lol I have a feeling we may hear something today.

I am in the same exact situation! VCOM is also my top choice and I don't want to commit anywhere else, but all the other deadlines are approaching and I don't know what to do. I also feel like I will be considered extremely pushy if I email Alisa over and over! I can't wait for all of this anxiety to be over.

Thanks again for taking the time to field questions.

I was wondering how much lab-time was req.? Were all the lectures/tests lab-based? For Medical anatomy, do you work with actual cadavers along with current medical students?

Also i'm curious to know how people financed the tuition. Were there any scholarships available or just all loans?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Sorry I haven't been on here in a week or so but to answer your questions we only had one class that had true "labs". For microbiology in the spring we spent some time in the lab looking at various organisms under a microscope. We then had a simple identification lab exam at the end of the year and that completed the lab portion as most of the course was done via lecture in the classroom. Medical anatomy lab was actually held in the post-bac classroom. We didn't have cadavers but rather had individual organs such as a heart and lungs and also used models, bones, powerpoints or videos. The exams for the lab portion of anatomy were also station based identification and question and answer with rotations.

Concerning financing the one drawback is that the program isn't eligible for federal loans and instead must be done via private loans or paid for yourself. I don't know of any scholarships but I personally did the private loans, which stinks given the high interest, but at the end of the day it got me into medical school so I was ok with that. The cost of the program isn't awful like some other ones out there as well.

Sorry I haven't been on here in a week or so but to answer your questions we only had one class that had true "labs". For microbiology in the spring we spent some time in the lab looking at various organisms under a microscope. We then had a simple identification lab exam at the end of the year and that completed the lab portion as most of the course was done via lecture in the classroom. Medical anatomy lab was actually held in the post-bac classroom. We didn't have cadavers but rather had individual organs such as a heart and lungs and also used models, bones, powerpoints or videos. The exams for the lab portion of anatomy were also station based identification and question and answer with rotations.

Concerning financing the one drawback is that the program isn't eligible for federal loans and instead must be done via private loans or paid for yourself. I don't know of any scholarships but I personally did the private loans, which stinks given the high interest, but at the end of the day it got me into medical school so I was ok with that. The cost of the program isn't awful like some other ones out there as well.

Was the loan subsidized or unsubsidized? Did you go through Sally? (Sally hates me). Do they give you the loan amount for the entire cost of attendance? If not, I'm gonna have to rethink things :( thanks for taking the time to respond to us.

So I think I should pass the message along. I did email Alisa today and this is what she responded with :

"Thank you for the email and follow up. I do not have an update for you at this time. We are working to process and review files as quickly as possible. We have received an unprecedented number of applications for the upcoming class, so we are unable to determine a timeline for review at this time.

Students attending the VCOM Post-Bac program apply to the DO program using a special process that is outlined by the DO Admissions office during orientation. The AACOMAS application is part of that process, including courses taken in the Post-Bac program, but they'll go over all of that as well as deadlines for submission and other important information.

There is no new benchmark yet established for the new MCAT exam at this time. Once we have that information, the Guarantee Program section of the website will be updated with the new information".

So we wait

I emailed her and basically told me they don't have a timeline for getting back to me as they're still going over applications submitted ahead of me

The loan I got was unsubsidized since its a graduate program. The post bac site posts an anticipated cost of attendance document and given that information I took out enough for tuition and personal expenses. It was through SallieMae but I didn't have any trouble and only took a week or so to confirm it.

How many times did you contact her? Cause I only emailed her once and didn't wanna sound pushy either .... Lol. But if you did it more than once then maybe I can say YOLO and do it again too lol I have a feeling we may hear something today.

I emailed her twice, and she told me I'm in line. This was about a month ago. I called earlier this week and left a voicemail, but haven't heard back :(

Got acceptance letter from Mrs. Hewitt 5/20. First program I heard back from and in a bit of a pickle because I also got into Drexel's DPMS program, another post bacc with guaranteed admissions. Have until June 15th to let VCOM know my decision. Would love to move from LA to blacksburg to change it up but Drexel students have been so helpful I'm leaning towards them; plus they provide a masters at the end of program instead of a certificate which has its benefits. VCOM seems cheaper and easier to manage tho.

Those wondering about my stats nothing special
Science GPA: 3.09
Mcat 2014: 8 7 8

Haven't applied to med school yet; graduated undergrad last year. Hang in there people, keep grinding and stay confident

Reactions: 1 user
Got acceptance letter from Mrs. Hewitt 5/20. First program I heard back from and in a bit of a pickle because I also got into Drexel's DPMS program, another post bacc with guaranteed admissions. Have until June 15th to let VCOM know my decision. Would love to move from LA to blacksburg to change it up but Drexel students have been so helpful I'm leaning towards them; plus they provide a masters at the end of program instead of a certificate which has its benefits. VCOM seems cheaper and easier to manage tho.

Haven't applied to med school yet; graduated undergrad last year. Hang in there people, keep grinding and stay confident

I think the MCAT could be a factor in helping you decided. Keep in mind that you do need to retake the MCAT if you attend VCOM. I believe they require at least a 24. Does Drexel have a limit?

On a positive note I think we all have a chance guys. The fact that VCOM pushed the deadline to May 25th must mean that they have spots open! Just think that some people may have finished their app yesterday and will still get looked at by the admissions' committee! Stay positive :)
I thought their deadline was May 1st, where did you see that it was extended?

I thought their deadline was May 1st, where did you see that it was extended?

I got an email from Dr. Hill saying that if you have not been accepted into the D.O. program then you should apply to the post-bacc program and that the deadline has been extended to May 25th.

Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing when you applied to VCOM?

Thanks! I submitted the application 2/7/2015. But 1 of my letters of rec didn't get received right away so i think my app was finally complete first week of March.

I think the MCAT could be a factor in helping you decided. Keep in mind that you do need to retake the MCAT if you attend VCOM. I believe they require at least a 24. Does Drexel have a limit?
I would need to repeat the MCAT at Drexel also since I got below the required 24 (8 8 8). With the new MCAT, students will need to be in 45 percentile in each category to matriculate (I believe VCOM MCAT requirement hasn't been made official yet). Really wish I retook the MCAT and gotten that 24, I only took it once. I'm guessing 45th percentile in a section compares closely with an 8 on the old MCAT so not too worried. Drexel's GPA requirement is harder I think - 3.2 to matriculate but grades are based on what first year med school students at Drexel get. If first years at Drexel average a 85% on say pharm exam, thats the 3.0 for Drexel DPMS for pharm. Don't think VCOM does it like this.

Got accepted today, still haven't committed but I think I will unless one of the med school's moves me from their waitlist...
GPA- 3.38
MCAT- 27

Sorry, I don't know, maybe because they transferred my application from the D.O. program I got a quick look?

What the heck. I applied early April! This surely does not look good!

Got accepted today, still haven't committed but I think I will unless one of the med school's moves me from their waitlist...
GPA- 3.38
MCAT- 27

Congrats! But I'm a little shocked you didn't get into the DO program with those stats.

I just recently got accepted into the program :) and I'm so excited, I just have one concern and was hoping one of the current or past vcom postbacc students could help me. Unfortunately, I took the mcat more then once, and I'm sitting at a 23, a point under the cutoff. I normally don't have testing anxiety, but I psyched myself out for the mcat and screwed myself over. Knowing that I don't have the minimum, I wanted to know how doable it is to do well in the program and study for the mcat. All advice and help is sincerely appreciated!

I just recently got accepted into the program :) and I'm so excited, I just have one concern and was hoping one of the current or past vcom postbacc students could help me. Unfortunately, I took the mcat more then once, and I'm sitting at a 23, a point under the cutoff. I normally don't have testing anxiety, but I psyched myself out for the mcat and screwed myself over. Knowing that I don't have the minimum, I wanted to know how doable it is to do well in the program and study for the mcat. All advice and help is sincerely appreciated!
This was a big concern for a lot of people in my class this past year. I can tell you that if you get a 3.9+ GPA with a 23 you have a very good chance of getting accepted. Dr. Hill meets with everyone this first few weeks and discusses your individual situation and what he thinks you should/need to do to improve your chances. He told essentially everyone with a 23 to just get a 4.0 and you will be good. Those who did that were accepted come the first review in December or the second review in March/April. Obviously nothing is guaranteed without the 24 minimum they require for the automatic admission but the way they spoke all year concerning the scores and based on who was accepted its the best position you can be in aside from 24+. I don't know how your previous attempts went but I know several students in the same position were told that improvements, even if your first score was awful, mean a lot to the admissions committee. Just crush the classes and try to get all A's.

This was a big concern for a lot of people in my class this past year. I can tell you that if you get a 3.9+ GPA with a 23 you have a very good chance of getting accepted. Dr. Hill meets with everyone this first few weeks and discusses your individual situation and what he thinks you should/need to do to improve your chances. He told essentially everyone with a 23 to just get a 4.0 and you will be good. Those who did that were accepted come the first review in December or the second review in March/April. Obviously nothing is guaranteed without the 24 minimum they require for the automatic admission but the way they spoke all year concerning the scores and based on who was accepted its the best position you can be in aside from 24+. I don't know how your previous attempts went but I know several students in the same position were told that improvements, even if your first score was awful, mean a lot to the admissions committee. Just crush the classes and try to get all A's.

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply to me! It was pretty helpful! I've been pretty confused since I found out because I am so thankful for the opportunity, but I also am waiting on lecom because it would secure me a spot if I got a 3.0 in the program. How doable, would you say it is, is to study for classes to get a solid gpa and study for the mcat?

Congrats! But I'm a little shocked you didn't get into the DO program with those stats.

Ha yeah, I got on a lot of waitlists. Was kind of disappointed overall but now I know what I have to do to get to where I want to be.

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply to me! It was pretty helpful! I've been pretty confused since I found out because I am so thankful for the opportunity, but I also am waiting on lecom because it would secure me a spot if I got a 3.0 in the program. How doable, would you say it is, is to study for classes to get a solid gpa and study for the mcat?
Luckily I didn't have to study for the MCAT during post-bacc so I can't say from personal experience. I know some people struggled finding time to do both while others were really driven and were able to get the scores they needed. You have to look at it like a job and a year long chance to prove you should go to med school. If you really buckle down and focus on the classes a great gpa is very doable.

Luckily I didn't have to study for the MCAT during post-bacc so I can't say from personal experience. I know some people struggled finding time to do both while others were really driven and were able to get the scores they needed. You have to look at it like a job and a year long chance to prove you should go to med school. If you really buckle down and focus on the classes a great gpa is very doable.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm a little nervous thinking about taking the mcats and the doing the program together. I really want to concentrate and focus on the program to get a pretty decent gpa. I think my best bet would be to study here and there for the mcat throughout the program and then decide afterwards, if its a necessity. Hopefully it don't have to :xf:

Anybody looking for a roommate for the year?

Just wondering... Is anyone still waiting for the decision? I applied about two months ago and still haven't received a response. Is the response usually through a letter or an e-mail?

Just wondering... Is anyone still waiting for the decision? I applied about two months ago and still haven't received a response. Is the response usually through a letter or an e-mail?
My application was complete in April, and I haven't heard back either! :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 users
Some folks last year didn't hear back till three days before classes began. Obviously the emails were denials but still.... I think they truly try to keep the 'door' open for as long as they can before saying an absolute NO. I'm surprised we haven't even gotten wait listed emails at least tho! I would like some sliver of hope lol

Hey everyone. I'm a current post-bac and will be starting my 1st year of med school here at VCOM in August as a result. I chime in because I'll likely be meeting many of you as the post-bac and med classes become (at least in the case of my class) pretty comfortable and friendly with one another. If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask. I know I came into the program looking for clarification on a few things so I thought I'd offer. Congrats and good luck nonetheless.
Yes I would like more info. I am from NY and very anxious

Yes I would like more info. I am from NY and very anxious
I'm sure, I can understand. We had people from all over the country as far as California and Arizona so don't worry it is pretty common. I've answered a few questions from people on here so check that out. Ask away and you can also message me directly with anything.

My application was complete in April, and I haven't heard back either! :nailbiting:

Ok so I heard they usually send their acceptance emails on Fridays. May the odds be ever in our favor :) If I don't hear something soon then I guess it's bye bye vcom and a hesitant 'hello' to Rowan :(