VCOM Post-Bacc Program 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm studying for it now. I'm taking the Kaplan test prep course, so I'm using their books!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Have u taken the Mcat before?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm studying for it now. I'm taking the Kaplan test prep course, so I'm using their books!

Also how many hours a day days a week do u study? How many chapters do u complete a day? And do u take notes?

Also how many hours a day days a week do u study? How many chapters do u complete a day? And do u take notes?

Yeah, I took it in 2014. I study every day, but my classes are on Monday and Wednesday nights. I do! We have a lesson book, and that's what I take notes from the class in. The class/lesson book is mostly tricks on how to read the passages, how to determine wrong answers from rights one even if you don't know the information, how to find the answers without really doing math, things like that! I also read the chapters in the books and take notes and make flash cards to get content review! I work weekdays until 5:00, so I usually come home and then study. I'm a pretty fast reader so I can get about 2 to 3 chapters (including extensive note taking) a night.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I took it in 2014. I study every day, but my classes are on Monday and Wednesday nights. I do! We have a lesson book, and that's what I take notes from the class in. The class/lesson book is mostly tricks on how to read the passages, how to determine wrong answers from rights one even if you don't know the information, how to find the answers without really doing math, things like that! I also read the chapters in the books and take notes and make flash cards to get content review! I work weekdays until 5:00, so I usually come home and then study. I'm a pretty fast reader so I can get about 2 to 3 chapters (including extensive note taking) a night.

So what hours do u study from when u get off work I get off everyday at 3:40

So what hours do u study from when u get off work I get off everyday at 3:40

Just depends on when I get tired lol I don't really study on Mondays or Wednesdays cause of that class, we don't get finished until 11, and by the time I get ready for work for the next day and for bed, I don't have time but on the other days, I usually study from five until about 11:00/11:30. Then on the weekends, I pretty much study on and off all day!

Just depends on when I get tired lol I don't really study on Mondays or Wednesdays cause of that class, we don't get finished until 11, and by the time I get ready for work for the next day and for bed, I don't have time but on the other days, I usually study from five until about 11:00/11:30. Then on the weekends, I pretty much study on and off all day!

Do u find yourself forgetting material after reading it in the review books?

And when do u plan on taking the Mcat?

Do u find yourself forgetting material after reading it in the review books?

Yeah, a little! That's why I started taking notes on the chapters! It helps to reaffirm what I've read by putting it into my own words and by simplifying it! Also, with all of our review books and lesson book, we got a little booklet called "mcat quick sheets" and it's pretty much the essentials of all the subjects, so I go over that too! Plus they have a mcat flash card app, and in my spare time at work, I try to go over those. But I don't do as well since I didn't make them myself.

Yeah, a little! That's why I started taking notes on the chapters! It helps to reaffirm what I've read by putting it into my own words and by simplifying it! Also, with all of our review books and lesson book, we got a little booklet called "mcat quick sheets" and it's pretty much the essentials of all the subjects, so I go over that too! Plus they have a mcat flash card app, and in my spare time at work, I try to go over those. But I don't do as well since I didn't make them myself.

When are u going to take the Mcat?

I started about a month and a half ago! In all, I'll be studying for almost 4 months when I take it. It's hard work, and a lot of studying but the tricks really do help! Plus the class is guaranteed to raise your mcat score by at least 10 points, which is really good! I also had a bunch of friends to take it after already taking the mcat once, and they all did a lot better on the mcat a second time!

Reactions: 1 user
I started about a month and a half ago! In all, I'll be studying for almost 4 months when I take it. It's hard work, and a lot of studying but the tricks really do help! Plus the class is guaranteed to raise your mcat score by at least 10 points, which is really good! I also had a bunch of friends to take it after already taking the mcat once, and they all did a lot better on the mcat a second time!

What class is it and what's the cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
What class is it and what's the cost?

It's called the Kaplan MCAT test prep. It's expensive though the live online version of the class, is about $2,000. They usually have sales all the time so that you can get anywhere from $150-$300 off!

This is the website for it if you want to check it out!

http://www.kaptest.com/mcat

If you didn't want to pay that for the class, the books would be just as good! They're good review books!

Last edited:
Who's studying for the Mcat and what books are u using?

I've been studying for it since the end of March. Taking it on June 18th. Currently using Exam Crackers for Biology, The Berkeley Review for everything else except TPR for Psych/Sociology.

Hey guys, I was accepted about a month ago! I'm looking for a roomie (female), so just send me a message if you're interested! :)

I've been studying for it since the end of March. Taking it on June 18th. Currently using Exam Crackers for Biology, The Berkeley Review for everything else except TPR for Psych/Sociology.

How do you like Exam Krackers? I'm thinking of buying their new 10th edition books that came out today.

How do you like Exam Krackers? I'm thinking of buying their new 10th edition books that came out today.

I like them! I wish got the physics book. Id still look into other resources for more passage based practice though.

My AACOMAS application didn't have Fall 2015 grades since I applied before that semester was over. When my application was transferred to the post bac program I was told I needed to send in Fall 2015 grades and Spring 2016 courses. I was finished with pre reqs and they had all of those grades regardless of Fall 2015 transcript.

Ah okay, thanks a lot for the response! Do you remember if they asked for your last transcript when you first transferred your DO application? I had mine transferred over a few weeks ago (which didn't include my spring grades) and told them in my email to let me know if they needed anything else. I haven't heard anything since though. No complete email, request for transcripts, or anything. Is that normal? Should I contact them about my application? I really appreciate the info.

Do u study
It's called the Kaplan MCAT test prep. It's expensive though the live online version of the class, is about $2,000. They usually have sales all the time so that you can get anywhere from $150-$300 off!

If you didn't want to pay that for the class, the books would be just as good! They're good review books!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app[/QU
Do u study at home or in a library?

Sorry I ment do u study at home or in a library?

Did anyone get accepted for the salie Mae grad loan? If so did u have to use a co signer. I have yet to apply for it

Was it the full amount needed and did u try to apply yourself and they told u needed a consigner or u just decided to apply with a consigner?

Did anyone get accepted for the salie Mae grad loan? If so did u have to use a co signer. I have yet to apply for it

My loan was accepted and I had a cosigner, just waiting for the school to accept it

Who's studying for the Mcat and what books are u using?

Just finished taking the MCAT several days ago. I used TPR's online course, but I did not use the lectures as much as time went on and I think I was still adequately prepared. I did read all the review books and took about 10 practice tests, including the AAMC Sample Test.

I would recommend watching all the Psychology videos on Khan Academy, as TPR's Psychology/Sociology review was not as reflective of the actual MCAT. As for Physics/Chemistry, practice problems are the most helpful. And it goes without saying, but memorize the amino acids, 3-letter codes and 1-letter codes, as well as their properties.

Reactions: 1 users
Does it atleast cover housing?

Yeap! For the most part, it should!

Also, it wasn't a problem of it not covering all of it. With my situation, I didn't need to or want to borrow that much money! Borrowing that much money freaks me out lol

I got an email today saying my file is under review currently, how much longer do you guys think it'll take them to have a decision?

I got an email today saying my file is under review currently, how much longer do you guys think it'll take them to have a decision?
I applied on the 11th of February and I'm still "under review" (it's been 3-4 weeks).

I'm starting to think it's a silent rejection:(

Last edited:
I applied on the 11th of February and I'm still "under review" (it's been 3-4 weeks).

Don't think about it too much. Last year, some people were getting acceptances in June. Each person is unique.

They really seem to take each applicant into serious consideration, be optimistic! What were your stats?

They really seem to take each applicant into serious consideration, be optimistic! What were your stats?
Yeah, the waiting game has just been so awful.

My stats: 3.82 GPA, no MCAT (taking it in June). I do have strong extra-curriculars and LORs, but to be fair my GPA is weird since I transferred colleges multiple times and had some semesters where I was only part-time.

I really hope this program does work out because it seems like the best next step.

Yeah, the waiting game has just been so awful.

My stats: 3.82 GPA, no MCAT (taking it in June). I do have strong extra-curriculars and LORs, but to be fair my GPA is weird since I transferred colleges multiple times and had some semesters where I was only part-time.

I really hope this program does work out because it seems like the best next step.
A 3.82 sounds really good, you can get straight into med school with that

A 3.82 sounds really good, you can get straight into med school with that
It's misleading though. The GPA is after retaking a few classes and it includes several part time semesters along with a fair amount of Ws. I really don't think it's as simple as a plain number (like the MCAT would be).

It's misleading though. The GPA is after retaking a few classes and it includes several part time semesters along with a fair amount of Ws. I really don't think it's as simple as a plain number (like the MCAT would be).

I'm in the same situation as you. 6+ years of different colleges, 1 god awful year followed by an overall absence for a year, etc. I think you're in good shape! The waiting game is awful though!

I borrowed through sallie Mae without a cosigner for the 40 something thousand and was accepted, just waiting now for VCOM to approve it and then the total amount will be given to VCOM split into each semester and then they deduct tuition from it and refund the rest back once the semester starts