VCOM Post-Bacc Program 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been able to find a loan that covers the full cost of attendance without a co-signer? I was able to get one through Wells Fargo for a previous graduate program but for some reason was not approved this time (maybe the criteria changed?). My parents might be willing to co-sign for me, but I know they have concerns about the riskiness of post-bacc programs so I really don't want to put them in a position they aren't entirely comfortable with. So if anyone is aware of alternatives, info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any replies, and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
anyone know the recommended loan amount to take out that will cover tuition, living etc etc ? What has everyone been doing?

Has anyone been able to find a loan that covers the full cost of attendance without a co-signer? I was able to get one through Wells Fargo for a previous graduate program but for some reason was not approved this time (maybe the criteria changed?). My parents might be willing to co-sign for me, but I know they have concerns about the riskiness of post-bacc programs so I really don't want to put them in a position they aren't entirely comfortable with. So if anyone is aware of alternatives, info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any replies, and good luck to everyone!
On the website (http://virginia.vcom.edu/admissions/tuition-and-financial-aid) it says the private loan options are Wells Fargo and Sallie Mae. It appears as if those are the two main options, so perhaps you could try Sallie Mae for approval since Wells Fargo didn't work out?
Also, there is a sentence at the bottom of the page that says "We are continuing our efforts through communication with other lenders to secure additional financing options. We will publish that information as it becomes available." It is possible they have other options not listed. If I were you, I would call the office first thing, explain your situation, and see what advice they can give you. Best of luck to you!

anyone know the recommended loan amount to take out that will cover tuition, living etc etc ? What has everyone been doing?
The grand total for both tuition and estimated living expenses is $41, 397. This info is found under the Proof of Funding section in the acceptance email.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!

Also, does anyone know where we add this program to our AACOMAS app?

On my acceptance email it says 22/494 as well.
I called the office at the beginning of this week, was put on hold while she asked Dr. Hill, and was then told the new MCAT benchmark was indeed 22/494.
Like the other person said, they're in the process of changing it from 500 to 494 but it hasn't technically been approved yet so they can't put it on the website. It's definitely not a typo. They anticipate the change being approved, which is great news for all of us!!! :)

OMG that is a game changer since I have a 494. OMG!!!!!!

I'm emailing Alisa Hewitt just to confirm because the amount of stress I had thinking about studying for the MCAT and the program was crazy. I need her to say it and I can relax for a few weeks instead of killing myself studying.

Confirmed! It will be made official during orientation. The new MCAT benchmark for the 2015 exam is 494.

Poor Ms. Hewitt, she probably gets emails asking the same things over and over again haha

How hard is it to get a 494?

A 494 was not hard at all for me. I half heartedly studied for 2 months while working full time and during that time I studied the majority of Biochemistry without getting to Metabolism, and read TPR for P/S. I did not have time to study any Gen Chem, Physics or Orgo, and did ZERO practice questions or passages. I also slept maybe 2 hours the night before the test. I am not proud of 494 but I'm sure anyone can achieve it.

Has anyone's loan been approved by the school yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone's loan been approved by the school yet?
No not yet. I checked with ms Hewitt and she said if you've been approved for the loan the school will approve it they just haven't gotten around to doing so yet

Just got the email, the school approved it today.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how the disbursement of the loan works? It sounds like they send the entire amount to the school and then I assume they give us the remainder after tuition costs, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know how the disbursement of the loan works? It sounds like they send the entire amount to the school and then I assume they give us the remainder after tuition costs, but I'm not sure.

The way the med school works is they have you set up direct deposit and then after they receive the first semester payment (loan gets split into halves) and deduct that semester's tuition then they forward the rest into your bank account. I'm assuming that's how the post bacc works as well.

The way the med school works is they have you set up direct deposit and then after they receive the first semester payment (loan gets split into halves) and deduct that semester's tuition then they forward the rest into your bank account. I'm assuming that's how the post bacc works as well.

Great, thank you!

Does anyone know if the post-bacc program grades you based upon your last 120 hours like the actual DO program does?

I have lower than average grades (2.8 cumulative, 3.2 science) but around a 3.5-3.6 on my last 120 which would put me borderline competitive.

I think it's the last 120 hours like the DO program

Hey everyone! Forgot to let yall know I got the acceptance last week

How are most of you searching for housing?

Anyone know how long it takes for the school to approve the loan? And will they give an extension if the loan hasn't been approved by the required date?

Does anyone know if a 494 can be obtained with 3-4 hours of "solid" studying per day for 4 weeks?

The plan was to take the July 22nd MCAT before the program starts.

Last edited:
Anyone know how long it takes for the school to approve the loan? And will they give an extension if the loan hasn't been approved by the required date?

Does anyone know if a 494 can be obtained with 3-4 hours of "solid" studying per day for 4 weeks?

I'm not sure! It took them a while to approve mine, but I don't think they really started doing anything for our class until the beginning of this month.

As for the MCAT, I think it really depends on how much you can get through within those hours! Just be aware that it's a lot of content! Good luck!

Is anyone still waiting on their acceptances? Looking forward to meeting everyone soon. :)

When is everyone moving out to Blacksburg?

Depends on you and how well you have down the fundamental concepts already. I would go by your practice tests. Take one for a baseline prior to scheduling your exam. Then decide how much time/effort it would take to get where you need to be.

Has anyone taken the MCAT this Summer? Any scores back? How did you guys feel about it? I'm taking mine this Friday, and I'm really nervous haha

I just got to Blacksburg today and am scrambling to find an apartment

Look up the VCOM graduate certificate program 2016-2017 page on Facebook, I know there are some people still looking for roommates if that's something you're open to.

is anyone else taking the mcat on friday in Roanoke?

If anyone wants to meet up before classes, I'm game! lol

If i'm still in town, I'll be downtown this weekend drinking away my post mcat blues lol

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if we will need anything on Monday? Like our laptops?

Hello everyone,
I have a quick question. If you do not have all your pre-reqs done by the end of your third year ( I will still need to do biochem and cell bio in my fourth year) can I still apply to the program? By the time I graduate and before entering the program I will have all pre reqs done but I just was confused.
Thanks so much :)

Hello everyone,
I have a quick question. If you do not have all your pre-reqs done by the end of your third year ( I will still need to do biochem and cell bio in my fourth year) can I still apply to the program? By the time I graduate and before entering the program I will have all pre reqs done but I just was confused.
Thanks so much :)
yes