VCOM Post-Bacc Program 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are applications still be accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure. I never saw a deadline on their website! I would email Alisa and ask!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
oh I've already applied a while ago and still waiting for the decision. It just seems like people are still trying to apply

so the classes offered in the postbac are still considered undergraduate classes on the aamc, right? VCOM is supposed to be a graduate school and i was not sure it they can offer undergrad classes?
and secondly, can anyone share what living is like, the climate, transit, do you need a car, recreation, etc. THANK YOU

Are applications still be accepted?
If your speaking in regards to my message no I believe they are no longer accepting applications i was asking in regards to my friend wanting to apply! I've already submitted my app a while ago. When did u submit yours?

so the classes offered in the postbac are still considered undergraduate classes on the aamc, right? VCOM is supposed to be a graduate school and i was not sure it they can offer undergrad classes?
and secondly, can anyone share what living is like, the climate, transit, do you need a car, recreation, etc. THANK YOU

I'm pretty sure they are considered as graduate classes.

Blacksburg definitely experiences all four seasons! During the summer and beginning of fall, it's usually hot and humid. During the late fall and winter, it gets pretty cold and it usually snows a couple of times. It's really beautiful during spring and fall.

It's a college town lol so I'm sure you can imagine what that's like! Plus they have a med school and vet school there, so there are a lot of people around. Sports are a big part of the community/VT campus. The football games are a lot of fun, I would definitely try to go to a game! They also have concerts and a lot different things going on at the VT campus all through out the year. As for outdoor things, they have a couple of different trails, fishing/tubing at New River, stuff like that. It's also close to Mountain Lake, which is where Dirty Dancing was filmed lol It's also not far from Roanoke, VA, which has good shopping if you're interested in that!

They have a bus system, therefore if you didn't want to bring your car, you wouldn't have too. But, if it were me, I would have my own vehicle there.

I hope this answered all of your questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If your speaking in regards to my message no I believe they are no longer accepting applications i was asking in regards to my friend wanting to apply! I've already submitted my app a while ago. When did u submit yours?
I submitted mine mid march! What about you?

No I'm not. I have not heard back yet! I think u have a good chance if your a VA resident seems like the students they pick are mainly from VA

No I'm not. I have not heard back yet! I think u have a good chance if your a VA resident seems like the students they pick are mainly from VA

Yeah, Virginia and the surrounding states seem to have the best chances. It's too bad that MD is not really considered part of Appalachia...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what is taking them so long to send out decisions this year, they don't seem to be following a certain timeline. This time last year, a lot of people had already heard back; especially the ones who applied January through March

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder what is taking them so long to send out decisions this year, they don't seem to be following a certain timeline. This time last year, a lot of people had already heard back; especially the ones who applied January through March
Yes that is true I was looking at the post from vcom post bac last year. Most had them already... i need this acceptance so I can be done with all this anticipation lol

This is my dream school, I really hope they give me a chance

Mines too! I'm sure u have a good chance because ur instate.

Don't give up hope guys! I'm sure you'll both get in, then we will all be classmates!

App is in review right now -- I believe it should be another 7-12 days (early Feb applicant). Waiting for this + making other program decisions + MCAT has gotten me quite stressed out these days!

App is in review right now -- I believe it should be another 7-12 days (early Feb applicant). Waiting for this + making other program decisions + MCAT has gotten me quite stressed out these days!

Ugh. That MCAT though. :eek::help:

I heard back in about a week! Good luck! And good luck on the mcat! I'm studying for that as well

How do you know it is under review? Did you call/email and ask about your application status?

To people who have applied for loans: who did you go through?
The site lists Wells Fargo as an option but I talked to some guy on the phone there and he said they don't provide loans for non-degree programs.

To people who have applied for loans: who did you go through?
The site lists Wells Fargo as an option but I talked to some guy on the phone there and he said they don't provide loans for non-degree programs.

I applied to Sallie Mae.

Can I not use federal/stafford loans for this program?

Lol if I get accepted I'm making a Mcat study group LOL !!

Yeah I am about to start up my MCAT studies as well. Are you going to be doing self study or a course? I've been looking at /r/mcat and they have many well made study schedules that I am thinking of following.

say you did not have the minimum/automatic acceptance to VCOM requirement (3.6GPA and 24 mcat), what is the likelihood of getting in the next year?

Yeah I am about to start up my MCAT studies as well. Are you going to be doing self study or a course? I've been looking at /r/mcat and they have many well made study schedules that I am thinking of following.
Self study! I'm gonna just use the Kaplan books! If we both get in we can study together to keep each other on track !

Doesn't it have to be taken by September for the guaranteed admissions decision in December?

I thought it had to be taken by September of the year u enter to be guaranteed

I thought it had to be taken by September of the year u enter to be guaranteed

"Students who meet these benchmarks at the end of the Fall Semester will be granted a seat in the DO Program at one of the VCOM campuses for the following August. Such offers of acceptance will be contingent on continued strong performance within the program and maintaining the exceptional recommendation from the faculty. Students who fail to meet the benchmarks in December will be reviewed again mid-term and at the end of the Spring Semester for a position on the waiting list for the VCOM DO Program."

If you want that guaranteed admission, I'd try to get it done before the end of Fall semester :unsure:

I am taking mine July 22nd. My last MCAT score was a 28 but it will expire at the end of August. It really hurts having to retake this thing...

"Students who meet these benchmarks at the end of the Fall Semester will be granted a seat in the DO Program at one of the VCOM campuses for the following August. Such offers of acceptance will be contingent on continued strong performance within the program and maintaining the exceptional recommendation from the faculty. Students who fail to meet the benchmarks in December will be reviewed again mid-term and at the end of the Spring Semester for a position on the waiting list for the VCOM DO Program."

If you want that guaranteed admission, I'd try to get it done before the end of Fall semester :unsure:
Nooooo! Dang! But I've heard recent students say most of the class studied throughout class and took the test I guess the ment July-sept.

I'm taking the Kaplan course!

Just received acceptance email this afternoon!

Reactions: 2 users