VCOM rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating sending my stuff into VCOM since I was already accepted to WVSOM and I really liked the school. So, here is my question. I am married with 3 kids, would I be able to stay in Blacksburg for all 4 years or within like an hour and a half. I am trying to go where I am not going to have to move my kids during my four years. As well, I would like to be as close to home for as most of 3rd and 4h years as possible. Which means as few away rotations as possible. Also, how have people liked the curriculum at VCOM? What is your weekly schedule like during third and fourth years?

Members don't see this ad.

I am debating sending my stuff into VCOM since I was already accepted to WVSOM and I really liked the school. So, here is my question. I am married with 3 kids, would I be able to stay in Blacksburg for all 4 years or within like an hour and a half. I am trying to go where I am not going to have to move my kids during my four years. As well, I would like to be as close to home for as most of 3rd and 4h years as possible. Which means as few away rotations as possible. Also, how have people liked the curriculum at VCOM? What is your weekly schedule like during third and fourth years?

Currently, VCOM has six regions through which we can do our third-year rotations. Two of those six are local (within an hour of Blacksburg)--though, some regions contain sites that are most definitely not local (one Roanoke option contains months in Front Royal, and one New River option has months in Richlands). Whether or not people get the region they want seems to vary each year. This year, all but two students got their first-choice region, and we should find out what sites we get soon. Fourth year largely seems to be 'go where you will,' so long as you observe the rather broad guidelines. Additionally, there exists a mechanism by which a student can request either a special circumstance or extreme hardship to have a greater chance at securing the region/site of their choice. Such circumstances do include being married, with children, or having a spouse with a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 3rd year at VCOM and I am in the area. I have only had to drive 35 minutes away for one month. When our class was assigned sites last year we were able to write a letter explaining any special circumstances we had. All the moms with kids were assigned locally if they requested it. No worries

As to 4th year, the same thing is possible. I have a list of places that I can pick and all can be local if I chose them.

So yes, you can stay in this area if you have kids.

hey guys-- i was happy to see VCOM 3rd year students on student doctor. I just got accepted to VCOM and I'd like to know what your first 2 years at VCOM were like. Also, are the hospital sites you are rotating at right now rural or suburban?

As with everything, you will have your ups and your downs. Overall I am still very pleased that I made the choice to go to VCOM. :thumbup: :thumbup:

You will more than likely start out only going half days for the first 10 weeks. That is how it was with us. You will start to be in class longer as the blocks progress. Everything is doable. They work with you if you have trouble. I think most of the staff is awesome. You will learn how to be a doctor and you will learn so much. You will also learn alot of clinical skills so that when 3rd year comes around you will be ready. Your education and your medical school journey will be what you make of it. If you spend all the time complaining, then you will miss out. Just be prepared to work hard and learn alot of stuff in a short time.

You only do one rural family practice rotation. All the rest of the ones I am doing are here in Blacksburg, Radford or Salem.

Congrats on your acceptance!!

how long is the rural family medicine rotation? Is it 5 months? Do you have to move to get to the rural practice? Isnt there an option to go to pulaski for rural family medicine rotation? How long of a drive is that from christansburg?

The rural Family medicine rotation is the same length as all the rest - 1 month.

I dont know of any in Pulaski. I drove to Giles County which was 35 minutes. There is another one in Stuart (patrick county) which is further away. There is a housing option there so you dont have to drive. It is 60 miles but it is a curvy twisty country tyrpe road. But I did have people in my class drive it every day.

You seem to be worried about the rural rotation. Any reason why?