VCU and ODU.. any VA PT students out there??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmend005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both ODU and VCU's PT program... just wondering if there are any students or former students who have any opinions on these programs. I'm having a tour of both schools within the next few weeks but i was just wondering what you guys thought.. everything and anything you guys have to say will be helpful! thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently gotten accepted into both these schools as well! I visited both of them over the months of november and december. I found that I liked the DPT classrooms/facilities better at ODU and it was right across the street from the main campus. VCU's medical campus is separate from their main campus. I really liked that they were right across the street from the hospital and had access to doctors and patients there. I found the faculty at both schools to be very welcoming at both schools.

I've heard that VCU's professors are very knowledgeable and are very passionate about their research as well. VCU might have the better reputation between the two. I've also heard that ODU's faculty might be more dedicated to making you a better physical therapist and clinician rather than dedicating more of their time to research.

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the two as well, so any other help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks for the reply... i just decided to go to VCU!!!.. part of that reason is because i went to undergrad at ODU and i kind of wanted a change of scenery. I liked how the PT department at VCU had there own floor all to themselves and i really liked how the hospital was right next where the classes are. WHen considering teachers, i felt that professors at both schools would offer the great education and experience needed to become a great therapist so they did not factor too much in my decision. It took a long time for me to decide also but in the end VCU just seemed right for me.. good luck on your decision!!!

Congrats to both of you on your acceptances! I'm still hoping I'm in the running for both ODU and VCU- obviously didn't make their first two rounds, but keeping fingers crossed. The only thing that I can offer is that I was told by a VCU alum that the program is highly geared towards research (as mentioned above)- so I guess go on what you want to immerse yourself in. I have shadowed at a clinic where all 3 received their DPT from VCU, and they are all therapists I hold in the highest regard. Enjoy Richmond- I got my undergrad here, and would love to stay. Very diverse community, a great campus, and the highest ranking in the state.