Program-Specific Info / Q's VCU Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicMOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was just wondering who else applied to VCU. I am anxiously awaiting hearing anything from them, although I know not to expect anything until Jamuary at the earliest!

My GPA isn't amazing and my GRE scores were average, but I do feel other aspects of my application were very strong. I am actually generally great at interviews so I am disappointed VCU doesn't offer interviews. Seems that makes it harder to stand out!

Anyway, just wanted to hear from other applicants and see how you all are faring while we wait. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Glad I'm not the only one! I am extremely anxious... checking my email probably 20+ times a day even though it says they will start notifying us Jan. 15

Hopefully we'll hear something soon. Can't take the anxiety much longer!

Best of luck to you!

lol, I've been doing the SAME thing! January 15th seems so far.

Best of luck to you too! I hope we both hear good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm glad someone made this thread because there's not a whole lot about VCU on here!

Do you really think we could hear back from VCU that early?? I just submitted my supplemental app like a month ago so it seems crazy that they could already be making decisions. I honestly thought it would be more like March/April...

Saw someone else posted and my heart skipped a couple beats (thinking someone got their golden ticket haha)

I think late January is a possibility, they just got finished graduating all their 2013's so I'm sure they've been busy with that. I saw someone posted on this forum last year and the earliest I saw a confirmed acceptance was January 31.

I don't think I can take waiting until March :(... sleep deprivation has already begun.

This is hilarious. I saw someone post and I freaked out too! lol!

I also looked back on last years acceptances and saw January as well. I believe they told me you could hear from them anywhere from January 15th - April 1st. I think that's where we got the 15th date. But you are right, they technically have until April to send them out, in which case, I'd die. I just want to know my fate already. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Hello fellow VCU hopefuls! I am super excited to say that I got my acceptance to VCU's MSOT program via email this morning! I am an in-state resident so VCU is by far my first choice. Hopefully this means that everyone will be hearing soon! Please let me know when you all hear back! It would be great to pseudo meet future fellow classmates!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats BLS614! Wow, that was very early! You must be so excited. :) I haven't heard anything yet. When did you apply? I am an out of state resident (FL) so I know my chances aren't as great but VCU is by far my first choice too. Congrats again!

Congrats BLS614! Wow, that was very early! You must be so excited. :) I haven't heard anything yet. When did you apply? I am an out of state resident (FL) so I know my chances aren't as great but VCU is by far my first choice too. Congrats again!

Thanks NicMOT! I actually applied right at the deadline. I think the official date was 11/29. I was lucky that it only took OTCAS about a week after that to verify my application. Again, I definitely think being in-state helped a lot. It was so nice to get the email this morning though. My boyfriend is applying to law school and has heard from a ton of places already while I've been twiddling my thumbs. I hope you hear from VCU soon! I have my fingers crossed for you!!

Wow congratulations!! With stats like yours I am not surprised you received an acceptance so early, very impressive!

I am also a Virginia resident and really put all my eggs in one basket with VCU for various reasons.

Again, congratulations!! Hope to see you down in Richmond in 5 months! Fingers crossed!

Wow congratulations!! With stats like yours I am not surprised you received an acceptance so early, very impressive!

I am also a Virginia resident and really put all my eggs in one basket with VCU for various reasons.

Again, congratulations!! Hope to see you down in Richmond in 5 months! Fingers crossed!

Thanks BrOT_21! I've spoken to a few current and former students and they all seem very happy with the program. I definitely feel fortunate to have gotten in and the tuition aint bad either! ;)

I hope to see you in Richmond too! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!!

I agree, you have amazing stats, it's no wonder they accepted you! :)

I am so paranoid now that I know at least someone has gotten a decision. I keep checking my email like a crazy person, although I must admit, I'm really nervous that I haven't heard anything. I applied in mid-November, so surely they must have looked at my application? Ugh!!!

Good luck to everyone else! And thanks BLS614 for letting us know. At least we know decisions are starting to be made!

Members don't see this ad :)
NicMOT I know exactly what you're going through haha! I feel like my stomach is about to fall out and I'm second guessing everything I've worked so hard towards.

Just trying to stay positive and do everything possible to take my mind off it. I even went out and bought a guitar and attempting to teach myself (I think I might actually be going crazy) haha.

Anyways, can't say best of luck to everyone enough. No one deserves this amount of suspense and stress! Hopefully it'll all be worth it in the end and we can look back and say it was worth every second!

Hi Everyone! Congrats on your early acceptance BLS614. I have a feeling that I won't hear back until later because my quantitative is not the strongest. It makes sense that they would notify the strongest candidates first and then go from there. To all of you Virginia resident; have any of you applied to other schools in Virginia? I am a Virginia resident, and applied to VCU, Mary Baldwin, JMU and Radford, and am really hoping to get an offer from either JMU or VCU. The OTs I have worked with that graduated from those two programs seemed really competent and knowledgeable. I hope the best for all of you!

Gah now that I know decisions are going out, it's driving me crazy!

I went to my VCU supplemental application (where we submitted the Value Added essay and such) and under "Application Status", it says "Incomplete items outstanding". Does anyone else's say that? I'm fairly certain I submitted everything so I'm confused and nervous why it would say that. I'm hoping it's just because they haven't gotten to my application yet so they don't know everything is there. (But I'm also freaking out a little...)

Mine says the same thing. But when I scroll down to requirements, everything was received. I think it's just a lapse in updating the system. The same thing happened with another one of my schools. I'm going to email them just in case though.

Mine also says that. It must just be a system update thing, like you both said.

I think it says incomplete because we didn't have to submit our references on the supplemental app, so in the system it says it's incomplete but the OT admissions knows that it's not "really" incomplete. I could be mistaken, but that was my take on it.

Mine has the same thing.

However, mine also doesn't have a date next to when "College Transcripts" were received, which is kind of freaking me out.

Phew! You guys made me feel so much better! I'm glad others say the same thing. NicOT, mine says the same thing even though my transcripts have been verified in OTCAS since September. I'm pretty convinced now that it just means our applications haven't been reviewed yet.

Phew! You guys made me feel so much better! I'm glad others say the same thing. NicOT, mine says the same thing even though my transcripts have been verified in OTCAS since September. I'm pretty convinced now that it just means our applications haven't been reviewed yet.

I called VCU to ask just in case because I was paranoid (lol). The lady I spoke with told me not to worry about it. She says it just means the school never received a hard copy transcripts from me (which we don't have to provide), so they couldn't put a received date. But that our transcripts are obviously in OTCAS so it's okay.

I suppose that College Transcripts area is probably used for programs that send their transcripts directly into VCU. So have no fear!!! :)

Oh awesome! Thanks for looking into that! Now the only thing we have to stress about is when we'll get our decisions ;);)

Oh awesome! Thanks for looking into that! Now the only thing we have to stress about is when we'll get our decisions ;);)

Still checking my email about 50 times a day...+pissed+

Hey friends - sorry it took me so long to get back to you. This forum mostly made me feel way too anxious during the application process, so I tried to stay away from it as much as possible. But... now I'm on the other end!

Anyway, @drm66 - the email read:
The committee will forward our decision to the Office of Admissions. This will initiate a process to enter you into the VCU system. We will notify you again by email when the arrangements have been made which will allow you to go online to accept this offer, set up your email account, and pay your $425 deposit to hold your place in the MSOT Class of 2016. It may take a couple of weeks to make the necessary arrangements through the Office of Admissions and another week for you to receive an official decision letter from them. You will have two weeks from the date of our next email to reply to us about your intentions to accept this offer of admission.
Hope that helps!

And @futureotter - I am as out of state as you can be: Californian!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey friends - sorry it took me so long to get back to you. This forum mostly made me feel way too anxious during the application process, so I tried to stay away from it as much as possible. But... now I'm on the other end!

Anyway, @drm66 - the email read: Hope that helps!

Thanks DanielTS!!!

Anyway, @drm66 - the email read: Hope that helps!

Ah wow! You would be coming from so far! Just asked because I am wondering whether they were sending out in-state acceptances first, etc. Thanks and congratulations again! :)

Received my acceptance email today :)

Reactions: 2 users
Random question but do you guys think VCU sends out rejection letters as they are going through applications? Or do you think they'll either (A) send them out after April 1st or (B) not send them out at all and after April 1st you just assume you're not in? Just something I was pondering.

I'm not sure about the answer to your question... but I just got an acceptance email!

I'm not sure about the answer to your question... but I just got an acceptance email!

Congratulations! There goes your theory on your Wednesday acceptances, huh? lol!

Congratulations! There goes your theory on your Wednesday acceptances, huh? lol!
Haha I know! And thanks :) I bet yours is on the way very soon!!

Anyone hear anything, good or bad? I haven't gotten a rejection yet, so I guess that's a plus...

Nothing here either...I'm getting pretty antsy to be honest. I just want to know one way or the other, that way I can at least start planning!

I wouldn’t expect anything today……everyone is under a foot of snow…. hopefully Fri or next week? It should be 50 degrees next week so administration should definitely be back in office! :)

The silence on this thread (and from VCU) is depressing!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! First time posting on this forum. I noticed this forum a bit during my searching process for grad schools, but never actually joined it. I applied to VCU and got an acceptance email this past Monday! I am out of state in NJ, but cannot wait to start at VCU.

I cannot wait to meet everyone who has been accepted, and good luck to those still waiting to hear back!!

Would anyone who has been accepted mind sharing their stats??

I was accepted. Here are my stats:

Undergraduate university- Purdue
Undergraduate degree- Public Health
OTCAS GPA- 3.50
Prereq GPA- 3.55
Observation hours- Around 50 outpatient & peds
GRE- Quantitative 150, Verbal 155, Analytical 5.0
Extracurriculars- 350 hour summer internship at an outpatient rehab facility, 150 hour internship at my school's student wellness office, leadership position in an aquatic & physical activity program for kids with cognitive or physical disabilities, volunteered at an adaptive water skiing camp, dinner and euchre club at a local assisted living center, Bible study leader in my sorority, nanny for 2 summers.
Awards- sorority community service award, Clinician Award (for the physical activity program)

I just received an email from them confirming that because I did not send in a deposit by my deadline (yesterday), my spot will now be offered to "another applicant who is waiting to be notified." I hope it goes to one of you!!