VCU BME Preferred Track and Other Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoSeek2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked the newest thread on VCU BME Pre-Med Preferred Track and VCU BME related discussions about 6 years old. I am considering choosing VCU BME. I took a campus and department orientation and was very pleased with the individual attention each Prof. presented their areas. I have been to other BME's in the area but VCU looked like more nurturing more individual attention and a 16 years of history. Also current BME students participated the orientation were bright. Dr. Miller looked, Head of BME, appeared very engaged and really interested in students making decision to be in VCU BME. I'd welcome for responses. Here are some of my questions I seek honest input from former or current VCU BME students or the ones who could provide some input per their experience.
1. My goal is Preferred Track in the 2nd year. What are the changes of being accepted. Any hints on how to increase my changes? I have great Math Physics Chem AP level (passed with 5) but considering keeping my GPA high in the first 2 years? Read in SDN Quantitative Physiology is a killer. Other gotchas? Or recommendations on how to pro-active or pre-study etc. about such classes ahead of time?
2. They mentioned 65 students accepted. Also in SDN read some after 1st semester leave to go to Bio. And the stats given as 94% accepted to Med school. Any comment on the reality of these stats? How realistic it is for me to expect to be selected?
3. For those who were skipped in Preferred Track, what are the changes for someone from VCU BME PRe-Med actually getting accepted to Med school with MCAT considering MCAT is changing by 2015.
4. Campus crime kept coming up. At the same time those crime stats in the SDN were from 2008. Any new input for 2014?
5. What is your views about the teaching abilities, research of the professors you have experience in VCU BME? Any suggestions to avoid or be-prepared etc.

Sincerely appreciate for your insights.

Members don't see this ad.