VCU CERT 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabyoh23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting up the thread for everyone who has applied/been accepted to VCU's CERT program starting fall 2014. I just recently got accepted, and I'm fairly certain that I am going to attend.

I was also hoping that some alumni of the program could come by and give us any tips or insider information.

Thanks so much, and congratulations to all those who got in!

Members don't see this ad.

So far I've received masters acceptances from barry, usf, pcom, mississippi college. Does anyone know if PCOM, VCOM, TOURO, lincoln memorial offer just interviews or automatic acceptances to their med school for their SMP students that perform well in their program.

So far I've received masters acceptances from barry, usf, pcom, mississippi college. Does anyone know if PCOM, VCOM, TOURO, lincoln memorial offer just interviews or automatic acceptances to their med school for their SMP students that perform well in their program.

You might want to ask this question in the school-specific threads if you haven't already!

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting up the thread for everyone who has applied/been accepted to VCU's CERT program starting fall 2014. I just recently got accepted, and I'm fairly certain that I am going to attend.

I was also hoping that some alumni of the program could come by and give us any tips or insider information.

Thanks so much, and congratulations to all those who got in!

I am currently in the program now. Honestly, I have loved it thus far, but I know a lot of my peers do not share the same sentiment.

ONLY DO THIS PROGRAM IF YOU ARE READY TO HAVE NO LIFE AND ARE READY TO REALLY COMMIT TO THE PROGRAM. Treat the program like a job. M-F 8am-5pm at the least and if you can study more, even better.

This program is redemption and if you do well, it is definitely worth the time, money, stress, and tears.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently in the program now. Honestly, I have loved it thus far, but I know a lot of my peers do not share the same sentiment.

ONLY DO THIS PROGRAM IF YOU ARE READY TO HAVE NO LIFE AND ARE READY TO REALLY COMMIT TO THE PROGRAM. Treat the program like a job. M-F 8am-5pm at the least and if you can study more, even better.

This program is redemption and if you do well, it is definitely worth the time, money, stress, and tears.
Can you share what your peers are saying about the program? What type of applicant benefits most (e.g, low MCAT, low GPA, low ECs, etc.) And how difficult is it to be accepted?

The general consensus is that everyone feels that this program is very helpful. However, people are not happy because they did not get as high of grades as they wanted. And also a lot of people have dropped out. ~20 students have dropped from the beginning of the school year.

Anyone who has a low GPA has the most to gain from this program. If you get a >3.5 (hopefully more towards >3.7) it can really help you get into medical school. Students who already have a 3.4 GPA, this program can be more harmful than helpful if you do not do well. You can do ECs here, but first semester is so difficult that you probably will not have time. If you are applying to the program now, take the time now to do as much shadowing and volunteering now so that you do not have to worry about it as much during the upcoming school year.

How difficult is it to get in? The stats are lower than other certificate programs and I would just apply early. I think if you can really convey in your personal statement why you want to be a doctor, the adcom can accept lower stats.

The general consensus is that everyone feels that this program is very helpful. However, people are not happy because they did not get as high of grades as they wanted. And also a lot of people have dropped out. ~20 students have dropped from the beginning of the school year.

Anyone who has a low GPA has the most to gain from this program. If you get a >3.5 (hopefully more towards >3.7) it can really help you get into medical school. Students who already have a 3.4 GPA, this program can be more harmful than helpful if you do not do well. You can do ECs here, but first semester is so difficult that you probably will not have time. If you are applying to the program now, take the time now to do as much shadowing and volunteering now so that you do not have to worry about it as much during the upcoming school year.

How difficult is it to get in? The stats are lower than other certificate programs and I would just apply early. I think if you can really convey in your personal statement why you want to be a doctor, the adcom can accept lower stats.

Did you apply to med school in the summer prior to the program, or are you waiting to apply after you finish? I've added more ECs since I last applied as you suggested and think my new personal statement really speaks to VCU's mission, so I'm not sure whether I should apply this upcoming summer before my starting the program or just wait. I got an interview there early in this application season, but I'm stuck in post-interview hold as of the moment. I'm hoping that the new ECs + being in the program + new recommendation letters will boost my app. What are your thoughts on this? (sorry if this is a tough question!)

Did you apply to med school in the summer prior to the program, or are you waiting to apply after you finish? I've added more ECs since I last applied as you suggested and think my new personal statement really speaks to VCU's mission, so I'm not sure whether I should apply this upcoming summer before my starting the program or just wait. I got an interview there early in this application season, but I'm stuck in post-interview hold as of the moment. I'm hoping that the new ECs + being in the program + new recommendation letters will boost my app. What are your thoughts on this? (sorry if this is a tough question!)

I applied to medical school last cycle and this cycle. The first time, I was naive and the second I was hopeful, but I had not done anything substantial in the year so in retrospect, I would not apply again. I think the best part of this academic year is being able to be really confident in all aspects of my application now. I was lacking in clinical experience, volunteer experience, LORs, and GPA. Through the CERT program and opportunities available in Richmond, I was able to really improve my application.

ECs are always good. Make sure you are helping some undeserved population as that really resonates with VCU SOM. Being in the program alone means nothing, you have to do well. VCU is really good now and realizes that LORs from professors mean nothing, so they accept LORs from any person (in a supervisor role) who can vouch for your character. Also, you get a REALLY good LOR guaranteed from the CERT program. Another very important aspect of your application is clinical experience, hands on and shadowing. Try to get as much clinical experience before starting the program, so you don't have to worry about that on top of your studies.

To answer your question about if you should apply this summer, you need to ask yourself "where is my application lacking?" If its GPA, then I would really hold off until after the CERT program. VCU SOM adcom admits that they do try to ignore your undergrad gpa and try to focus on how you do in the CERT program. If its just ECs/clinical experience...are you sure you want to do this program? Be brutally honest with yourself. Do you think your app is competitive or are you just hoping it is?

I applied to medical school last cycle and this cycle. The first time, I was naive and the second I was hopeful, but I had not done anything substantial in the year so in retrospect, I would not apply again. I think the best part of this academic year is being able to be really confident in all aspects of my application now. I was lacking in clinical experience, volunteer experience, LORs, and GPA. Through the CERT program and opportunities available in Richmond, I was able to really improve my application.

ECs are always good. Make sure you are helping some undeserved population as that really resonates with VCU SOM. Being in the program alone means nothing, you have to do well. VCU is really good now and realizes that LORs from professors mean nothing, so they accept LORs from any person (in a supervisor role) who can vouch for your character. Also, you get a REALLY good LOR guaranteed from the CERT program. Another very important aspect of your application is clinical experience, hands on and shadowing. Try to get as much clinical experience before starting the program, so you don't have to worry about that on top of your studies.

To answer your question about if you should apply this summer, you need to ask yourself "where is my application lacking?" If its GPA, then I would really hold off until after the CERT program. VCU SOM adcom admits that they do try to ignore your undergrad gpa and try to focus on how you do in the CERT program. If its just ECs/clinical experience...are you sure you want to do this program? Be brutally honest with yourself. Do you think your app is competitive or are you just hoping it is?

Thanks for the really detailed advice! I think my ECs/clinical experience are fairly solid since I've gotten a handful of interview invites, but I do feel that my sGPA is really holding me back (AMCAS calculated it to be ~3.2... ugh). From what you've said, this sounds like a great program for someone who doesn't want to spend oodles of money on an SMP-like program.

How much did the program help you in locating opportunities around Richmond for volunteering and/or shadowing? I know you said that you had to be committed to your studies, but about how much time did you spend (or are spending) on ECs?

Thanks for the really detailed advice! I think my ECs/clinical experience are fairly solid since I've gotten a handful of interview invites, but I do feel that my sGPA is really holding me back (AMCAS calculated it to be ~3.2... ugh). From what you've said, this sounds like a great program for someone who doesn't want to spend oodles of money on an SMP-like program.

How much did the program help you in locating opportunities around Richmond for volunteering and/or shadowing? I know you said that you had to be committed to your studies, but about how much time did you spend (or are spending) on ECs?

For shadowing, there is a Shadowing class you can take in your spring semester for 3 credits. It requires 32 hrs of shadowing to earn credit. The program is good at helping a majority of students find a doctor to shadow. However, it was the first year this class was offered so there were definitely some links to work out.

As far as Volunteering, Richmond has a bunch of opportunities and so does vcu. You really just have to find what interests you.

I think I was spending 15 hrs/wk on ECs first semester (but only after the 2 months of getting a feel for the program and how comfortable I felt devoting time to other things)

Worry about grades first. This program is for your gpa. Get a 3.5 and a at least a 28 on mcat and get your guaranteed interview. Even better, get that 4.0 and you'll be in an excellent position.
You have one year for schooling but you can have many years for getting ECs, so don't overload yourself and compromise your studies.

Thank you @adele nazeem for the great information. I just started my application for Fall 2014. I probably won't have my application completed until April because I need to take the GREs. How early did you apply? How many people are in your class?

Thank you @adele nazeem for the great information. I just started my application for Fall 2014. I probably won't have my application completed until April because I need to take the GREs. How early did you apply? How many people are in your class?
I applied and was accepted in march, but students literally get accepted all the way up to July, so April is not late.

We started with ~80 and I think we are ~60 now.

I applied and was accepted in march, but students literally get accepted all the way up to July, so April is not late.

We started with ~80 and I think we are ~60 now.

Thank you @adele nazeem. Which semester is the MCAT course offer? Do you know people who have stay an extra year to complete a Master's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @adele nazeem. Which semester is the MCAT course offer? Do you know people who have stay an extra year to complete a Master's?
Offered in the spring. The fall semester is the hard one so there's no way students would be able to handle the mcat course on top of course load.

Yes, there are a handful of students who do choose to stay for the masters.

Thank you again. @adele nazeem do you happen to know the percentage of individuals getting into med/dental school after the program? How about at VCU?

Thank you again. @adele nazeem do you happen to know the percentage of individuals getting into med/dental school after the program? How about at VCU?

From the website
"The graduating class of 2011 consisted of 57 students. Of those who reported their plans, 30 were accepted into a medical school (21 at VCU), and 6 into VCU Dental School.

The graduating class of 2010 consisted of 69 students. Of those who reported their plans, 27 were accepted into a medical school (21 at VCU), 6 into VCU Dental School, and 2 into the Genetic Counseling Master's program."

These stats are skewed in the sense that they include students who opted to do the 2nd year master's program and then applied to med school.

But, the way I see it is like this. The better statistic that they do not publish is what percentage of students who earned the guaranteed interview (>/= 3.5 GPA and >/= 28 MCAT) get into med school. From what I have heard from the class before mine is that those numbers are a lot better, but no official stats for that.

I'll chime in--the program is tough but not impossible..if you put in the time you'll do well. My friends and I all have done well and still have had time to go out and have fun.

Regarding acceptances I know about 5 people so far that have gotten into dental school and 2 that have gotten into med school (1 at VCU). I believe VCU is releasing more acceptances Monday, and I suspect my friends that interviewed will get in. I personally didn't apply this year but absolutely believe it will help me get into med school next cycle. Bottom line: come with a good mindset and learn how to study early and you'll reap the benefits, people will get weeded out but that's just the name of the game. Good luck everyone!

I'll chime in--the program is tough but not impossible..if you put in the time you'll do well. My friends and I all have done well and still have had time to go out and have fun.

Regarding acceptances I know about 5 people so far that have gotten into dental school and 2 that have gotten into med school (1 at VCU). I believe VCU is releasing more acceptances Monday, and I suspect my friends that interviewed will get in. I personally didn't apply this year but absolutely believe it will help me get into med school next cycle. Bottom line: come with a good mindset and learn how to study early and you'll reap the benefits, people will get weeded out but that's just the name of the game. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the info, @Neuroglia! Of those people that have gotten into med school, did they have solid ECs and undergrad GPA + MCAT prior to starting CERT, or do you think even being enrolled in CERT is a big plus in applications? I have added a few ECs, have a great new personal statement idea, and have received 3 IIs this cycle, so I feel that my app isn't so bad, and I was wondering if I could apply again this upcoming cycle prior to starting my CERT classes and be successful. What are yours (or anyone's) thoughts on this?

Those who have been accepted, what are your stats?

The program recently instated a guaranteed interview for Dental students. >/= 3.5 GPA and a 20 on DAT.
Any one have any questions about the program?

Thanks for the info, @Neuroglia! Of those people that have gotten into med school, did they have solid ECs and undergrad GPA + MCAT prior to starting CERT, or do you think even being enrolled in CERT is a big plus in applications? I have added a few ECs, have a great new personal statement idea, and have received 3 IIs this cycle, so I feel that my app isn't so bad, and I was wondering if I could apply again this upcoming cycle prior to starting my CERT classes and be successful. What are yours (or anyone's) thoughts on this?
tough to say dude, it's really up to you and what your goals are.

VCU SOM considers 25% MCAT, 25%GPA, 25% clinical (hands on and shadowing), 25% volunteering/research/etc while reviewing your app.
30 mcat is fine, if you talk to whitehurst-cooke she will say you do not need to retake it.
GPA - you are below average, but not necessarily a red flag, work hard in CERT and improve your GPA
clinical - get shadowing/scribing and hands on clinical, if you have some already that is great
and volunteering - make sure you are volunteering for a underprivileged community as that really resonates with VCU. Do your ECs show a long term commitment? As far as research, try to get it, but this is like the one area which lack of isn't a total red flag.

When they view your application this cycle...it will be relative, so even if you received 3 IIs last cycle, if you don't show drastic improvement, it will not look good. So have you been working your ass off, showing them that you are a more committed/determined/better applicant this cycle?

If not, I would not apply this cycle. JUST being in the program is not enough. You need to shadow, volunteer while you are in richmond to increase your chances of getting into med school. I have friends who have gotten in this cycle, but it was not because they were JUST in the program. It was because they were competitive applicants either way and they really only needed to improve GPA or some didnt need to be in the program tbh.

The people you talk to, will only tell you what a competitive applicant looks like. It is hard to tell someone their chances when they are not proficient in all areas of the application, which is not helpful (to the person asking) at all.

Anyone got their acceptance letter yet?

How strict are they with cGPA and sGPA? Is it an automatic dismissal if my GPA is under the minimum requirement?

How strict are they with cGPA and sGPA? Is it an automatic dismissal if my GPA is under the minimum requirement?

Minimum GPA is just a guideline. It's not an automatic dismissal; however, I would imagine that as they accept more students, it would get more competitive.

Have a good science score for the GRE and/or MCAT. Write a good personal statement.
It is not an automatic no.

Just got accepted and will definitely be going! I am so excited. Who else has been accepted?

I was also accepted a while back.

@adele nazeem Can you tell us how a typical test is structured? Mostly multiple choice, short-answers or both?

Most people do not get accepted until May-July. That is when a bulk of their acceptances are sent. There is no need to be worried.

I applied early february.

@jxpham are you going to accept?

I was also accepted a while back.

@adele nazeem Can you tell us how a typical test is structured? Mostly multiple choice, short-answers or both?

Physiology is all MC.
Biochem is mostly MC, but the first few exams are free response.
Histo is all MC..the final was free response, but was a joke.

I highly recommend you guys accept the offer.

@adele nazeem Hey man how helpful is this program because I was considering doing the MS in Pharmacology at Tulane over this. Some basic info: VA resident 3.4 or 3.5 cGPA and sGPA. 30 MCAT. Decent amount of volunteering. The thing that worries me about the program is that you take grad school classes and basically everyone says that grad school gpa is inflated and all. Also, it doesn't help much getting into a med school. How many people in your class have gotten into med school/waitlist and denied.

T

I have accepted program as of now, still waiting for a long shot.

@SoCal24 I come to find out that most SMP programs are designed to be a good measure of how a person will do in med school. As for me, if I can't get back to my home state, VA state and VCU SOM ' S mission statement lines up with who I am as a person. So I think bottom line, pick a program and it's host medical school that you don't mind or love to attend as a med student.

I have accepted program as of now, still waiting for a long shot.

@SoCal24 I come to find out that most SMP programs are designed to be a good measure of how a person will do in med school. As for me, if I can't get back to my home state, VA state and VCU SOM ' S mission statement lines up with who I am as a person. So I think bottom line, pick a program and it's host medical school that you don't mind or love to attend as a med student.

I don't think VCU cert program would count as a SMP because you aren't taking any classes with med students (grad school classes). Thats why I'm thinking of attending Tulane for MS in Pharmacology you are taking classes with 2nd yr med students. Also VCU cert program tuition is 30k for some odd reason very expensive while Tulane's MS is 23k (makes sense taking classes with med students).

I guess I am still vague on semantics of masters, smp, etc. But I think most structured postbacs will be weighed a little more heavily at its host school, whether that is promissory or not, I think that's the general consensus. FYI. Cert classes are graduate level classes. Besides money, location and personal preference, I think you will be fine in either program if you do your best and get good grades.

At the beginning, I was worry which program gives me the best chance. But I was looking at it wrongly. The program is to give me a more drop to make my glass full, the rest is up to me. By the time I reapply, my glass better by full as other applicants. Not only that, I better have rainbows and skittles. Another SDNer put it "play long ball".

I think you will be alright in either program SoCal24. Of course, we won't know that until afterward lol.

@adele nazeem Hey man how helpful is this program because I was considering doing the MS in Pharmacology at Tulane over this. Some basic info: VA resident 3.4 or 3.5 cGPA and sGPA. 30 MCAT. Decent amount of volunteering. The thing that worries me about the program is that you take grad school classes and basically everyone says that grad school gpa is inflated and all. Also, it doesn't help much getting into a med school. How many people in your class have gotten into med school/waitlist and denied.

T

~80-90 students begin this program
~60-70 continue into the spring semester
~25-35 get the guaranteed interview (>3.5 gpa for the year and >/= 28 MCAT)
~25-30 get into med school and ~20 go to VCU SOM
If you qualify for the guaranteed interview and you are in state, your chances are pretty good. I would try to strive for a >3.7 gpa

But I have heard of people getting 4.0 in the CERT program and not getting in b/c of poor interview and insufficient clinical experience.
VCU stresses clinical experience.

This program is super helpful if you do well. It can be detrimental if you do poorly (but that is the same for any post bach program).

I have matured a lot from this program. The rigorous curriculum forces you to develop efficient study habits which translate well into VCU SOM.

The grad classes try to be clinically relevant. Physiology is definitely useful. Histology is the same exact class that VCU Dental takes. Biochemistry is actually harder since we go more in depth than the med school does.

If you are going to work hard, it does not matter which program you choose.
My friends have done the georgetown SMP and george squared SMP. The A was curved to how well the med school students did.

Although grades matter, the grading scale is mostly based on how the years before have performed in the classes. They will take into account any anomalies from that year, but the A and B do not change based on current year's performance....which is nice b/c it discourages a cut throat environment.

Are you sure your GPA is the area that needs work? I would really get an adcom's opinion about your weaknesses before you commit to any program.

@adele nazeem Hey do you mind sharing your stats (gpa and MCAT) and why you specifically chose this program over others?

undergrad cGPA - 3.5
undergrad sGPA - 3.4
MCAT - 31
CERT GPA - should be around 3.8 or > when I finish
very minimal shadowing experience and volunteering before this year
Will have ~180 hours of shadowing
Will have ~90 hours in volunteering

CERT was the only program I applied. I looked into other SMPs like georgetown and and george squared, but I had friends who did CERT and highly spoke about it. Also speaking with friends at VCU SOM, they all say that CERT students excel in med school while most are struggling.

Pros
you get a guaranteed letter of recommendation
Most classes are recorded, so if you really need to skip to go shadow, volunteer...it really doesn't matter too much
Program is curved on previous years, so it is not cut throat
**the program is still very difficult
Professors seem to genuinely care about the students
The city provides a bunch of different volunteer opportunities
The hospital is a level 1 trauma and you can most likely find doctors to shadow
Richmond has a lot of delicious restaurants

I wanted to go to VCU SOM and this was the best way in my mind.

@jxpham @bromigo @SoCal24

My file was complete early February and I found out before the end of that month that I was accepted. I'm definitely attending barring some miracle that I get into a med school between now and August :p

I was wavering since I also got into EVMS's SMP, but I felt that VCU CERT more closely matched my career goals plus I like the ability to take different classes that can you apply towards an actual masters degree, not just a non-research masters like what you would get with many other SMPs. VCU SOM is also my first choice, so I figured the best way to show how interested I am in the school is to attend in any capacity that I can.

I look forward to meeting you guys in the fall, and best of luck to anyone still waiting on decisions from med schools!

@adele nazeem and @Neuroglia, do you know anyone who continued on to do one of the masters programs? I'm very interested in doing that, but I'm not sure if you're able to finish the CERT and masters program in 2 years.

@adele nazeem and @Neuroglia, do you know anyone who continued on to do one of the masters programs? I'm very interested in doing that, but I'm not sure if you're able to finish the CERT and masters program in 2 years.

Yeah sure it's definitely doable in one year, I know people who did it/are doing it.

Have you guys look into apartments and such? I know it's still early but I just want to get started.

@adele nazeem When do we worry about registration. From the acceptance letter, someone will contact us about registration and such?

Last edited:
http://bit.ly/P3AVCo
Housing options made from current CERT class. Not extensive at all, but a good place to start

I remember thiking to myself...wow school is going to start soon and i don't even know what classes I will be in.
Registration does not really matter for this program...because classes do not fill up in the Fall semester, so registration is quite late.
The program gets in contact with all students and let's them know what is going on.

So for now, just sit, relax, maybe start a facebook group haha

Have you guys look into apartments and such? I know it's still early but I just want to get started.

@adele nazeem When do we worry about registration. From the acceptance letter, someone will contact us about registration and such?

I actually registered for classes through the online student portal thing... I'm not sure if we're supposed to. I was just messing around and found out that I could do it, so I just went ahead and did it. No one has contacted me about registration yet. Oops *shrugs*

Once you get your acceptance e-mail from the program, you'll get a letter in the mail from the graduate school with all the information to set up the student portal as well as your e-mail address. My letter came maybe 2 weeks after I received the acceptance e-mail, but I applied super early. They're probably getting an influx of applications right now as May 15th creeps ever closer.

As for apartments, google "VCU off-campus housing" too. It's got a run down of neighborhoods as well as a website that you can register to view listings around the area.

Yeah I got itching fingers as well and registered for Bioc but Physio has 3 different sections so I didn't register because I wasn't sure.

fyi a couple of people have gotten in this year to VCU SOM (varying CERT GPAs), not sure how the overall class did this cycle, class is pretty cliquey like any med school/SMP so I don't know about other groups of kids, maybe adele nazeem can shed some insight from their friend group(s).

good luck everyone. this program is hard as hell but not impossible and totally worth it. Drink beer and relax, it'll be ok.

Yeah I got itching fingers as well and registered for Bioc but Physio has 3 different sections so I didn't register because I wasn't sure.

I think all the physios are at the same time and have the same location, so I think the different sections thing must be more for administrative purposes or something like that rather than any actual difference in the classes. Hahaha, I'm waiting for an academic counselor to come by and scold me for registering without any kind of pre-registration counseling.

Hello guys. I was reading a comment from up top about VCU not being true SMP. Because students are not graded against medical students, does it decrease the program's worthiness by that much? It is not like other medical schools will just throw the grades away because it is not "graded against medical students" right? Do we know how successful alumni at getting into medical schools other than VCUSOM?

Thanks.