vcu interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twinklingstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Anybody who is called for VCU interview on may 16/17...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Virginia Commonwealth University interview experience 2011

VCU holds its interviews in 2 phases. The best part is there was no fee for interview or for bench test, they do prefer green card holders or citizens but visa holders can also apply and were called till the 2nd phase interview. VCU is a very beautiful school with a very nice building and student facilities.
phase 1: personal interview
5-6 Groups of about 6-8 people are invited starting late july to mid september. One on one interviews with 2 faculty members separately of about 25-30 minutes each. They have your application in front of them while interviewing, stress is put on showing of one's dexterity skills while in the personal interview since they ask you to bring any dentoforms, typodonts, models or photographs of your skills. Also there was a case based written exam which was MCQ based related to a patient case history, with a total of almost 20 questions. They really judge you well from all aspects. Then there was a financial aid presentation, school tour by program director and lunch with current IDP students. VCU is a very technologically advanced school with latest equipment especially the dentsim. The school has a large interest in research and also encourages every student to out an effort into it. VCU itself is pretty old school,though IDP program started only 2 years back.

Phase 2: Bench test :all intruments provided by vcu, personal ones not allowed.
VCU called a total of 17 applicants out of those who were interviewed in phase 1 in the end of september for the practical exam and a small written exam consisting of a patient history based on which about 40 MCQ questions were asked. After this, on the dentsim, we were asked to prepare Class 2 MO Amalgam cavity prep on 14 and all ceramic prep on 8. This is all monitored and evaluated by the dentsim software. Computer shows you the error if either your chair positioning/posture is wrong or you nick the adjacent tooth as judged by the LED cameras and sensors inside everything starting from your handpiece to typodont, and around chair headlight. Your activity is recorded live in the dentsim for later evaluation.Time provided for both exercises was almost one and half hour (pretty less to work on dentsim, some people were not able to complete the tasks). While you work on dentsim, faculty members also observe you in the background, how you handle working in the technology, are you technology compatible or not, how are you presenting your body language and expressions in this stressful task. Mainly compatibility with dentsim was mor e imp than the preps. The typodont inside the dentsim is neither columbia nor kilgore but KAVO typodont specially made for this dentsim machine, the teeth have a different anatomy and a larger number of supplemental grooves which made class 2 prep a little complex to be made for the first time.
Next was normal manikin based exercised including class2 MOD amalgam restoration on #3, which was already pre-cut on Columbia typodont. Also, Class 4 Composite restoration on #8 which was also pre-cut cavity, we had to just restore. All necessary instruments are provided, at one time I felt, there were excessive instruments, that i could not handle. Lastly was a provisional crown prep on #30. First they provided a sound #30 to take the initial putty impression, then a pre-cut #30 with already done crown prep was provided for which provisional crown had to be fabricated with self cure acrylic (no Integrity but separate monomer-polymer were provided). We were also asked to self evaluate our manikin based exercises on the criteria sheets and give ourselves a grade from 1-5, 1 being worst and 5 means best. During this part also, several faculty members were observing with open files how are we doing, what was the posture, what instrument are you using, meaning they are observing your small tiny little movement as a dental professional.
The whole day activity was from 7.30 am to 6.15 pm, very tiring but maintain your focus on each exercise is imp even if one of the tasks goes wrong, dont get discouraged , be prepared for the next one.
Program starts from January.

Last edited:
I have just pasted my old post above, regarding the interview experience. I have been receiving so many PM messages, so I though to write on the forum for all of you guys. First of all, congratulations for getting an interview call from such a prestigious university. They are really selective when sending the interview invite. And an OVERALL WELL PREPARED APPLICANT gets to the level of getting accepted. There is not at sole basis of any single factor. I am writing just on what I experienced, there may be changes in the procss.

My advice would be, to prepare well for the VCU interview keep the following things in mind:

1. Be well mannered, look organized, neat and a good conversationalist. Be fluent in English. This is really imp. Do not appear to be nervous or unaware of anything, but if you do not know anything, you should be able to ask confidently about it (whatever you don't know).

2. Look techie/computer compatible. VCU is a sort of paperless university and has achieved the "GREEN UNIVERSITY" status. Explore the dentsim software really well before you start the exam on it. Ask the faculty questions, if you do not understand the software. Because it is a test of both your tooth preps as well as software compatibility.

3. Since you al have passed NBDE part 2, practice case histories and try knowing how to formulate a WELL SEQUENCED TREATMENT PLAN. search the internet, find books, or whatever resource to help you to form the URGENT PHASE< ORAL DISEASE CONTROL PHASE< EVALUATIVE PHASE===MAINTENANCE< RECONSTRUCTIVE PHASE.

4. Revise your NBDE part 2 subjects for the written exam.

5. Practice AMALGAM RESTORATIONS, (a void free, proper occlusion, no overhang, floss should pass through with a little resistance but not too tight, but proper contact established with adjacent tooth, well carved but not shiny)

6. Practice Composite restoration. No voids, margin smooth and well merged, well polished and reproduce the the original tooth anatomy.

7. Temporary crown: putty impression of a normal uncut tooth and after that they give you prepared tooth, then fill impression with cold cure acrylic, apply separating medium on tooth, put the impression + acrylic on prep tooth, when set, remove temporary crown, polish, check where the margins are, merge them with the finish line, develop proper occlusion and embrasures as well as reproduce normal adjacent tooth contact.

GOLD RULE: Remember, every step counts equal and no one can be perfect in everything. If you feel you did not do well in one of the things, do not keep thinking about it, do not lose confidence, compensate on the nest step. An average on each of the things is better than 100 percent on one and 20 percent on another. Be consistent. Wear scrubs, use loupes, eye barrier, gloves, follow protocol, watch your posture, use indirect vision, be ergonomic, be neat, do not mess around during your bench test, keep your instruments in proper order. If you do not know anything, ask, do not look and work like a fool.

DO NOT ASK ME FOR RESOURCES to how to prepare these things from. USE youtube, google, your NBDE part 2 material.

Good luck to all. Will see you at VCU.

Hi ! Is it necessary to use loupes or we can do with out them??

Anybody gotten VCU interview yet? From tooth fairyqueens post, i understood its gonna be around 50 people for the personal interview. Is it emailing or land mailing? Thanks.

Hey rootcanal,
Did u get any info apart from what is posted by toothfairy queen about bench test.

Hey hope,
What do you mean by that?

I mean that twinklingstar and Rootcanal11 might've gotten invites for VCU interview. Wasn't that what you asked? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean that twinklingstar and Rootcanal11 might've gotten invites for VCU interview. Wasn't that what you asked? :confused:

Gotcha folk! Got confused now its ok.

No and I m really worried about mcqs/written test

Yes and in the interview letter they say written test and skills assessment test. Do we have treatment planning too...I wonder why no one else has posted..:confused:

Hi ! Is it necessary to use loupes or we can do with out them??
You dont need loupes to pass the bench test (You will need them later in school)..And dont use them in the bench test as a first time because they need time to get adapted to them:)

Good luck for the folks who are sitting for the interview in VCU..

Be confident and be positive....

Hi, Anyone called for interview on June 5th and 6th at VCU.?
I am looking for any female candidate who can share accommodation with me?

Can you please share your interview experience with us??
It would be very helpful for those who are getting calls and preparing for the big day!
I hope to hear from you soon!
Thanks!

Interviews are over.

They are not over. Talked to Krysi yesterday and she said most have been sent out but they still have a few more interviews to call. I don't know where you're getting your information from.

Sorry but the interviews are over. You don't need to get angry because you were waiting for one and didn't get it. Point your anger at something or someone else. I know what I said and yes once again interviews are over. Thanks.

Sorry, but I find your statement very rude buddy! The other person was only asking where you got the information from?

Okay well sorry if you found it rude.

Last edited:
It seems to be that time of the year.... LOL

I have to admit that I've had my fair share of arguing with asd1234 on this forum, but one thing I can also say is that most of the time, even though a little too rough let's put it this way, she was right!

And let's face it, common sense lacks in this forum most of the time...

Rude or not she was honest, sincere, and yes the truth might hurt sometimes.

Some schools would provide 'misleading information' (in lack of better words to describe it) sometimes for a few reasons (this is my personal opinion), one of them would be to cover their bases, another would be the obvious: not to provide updates/status over the phone.

Let's say that VCU has finished interviewing as pointed out by asd1234, but for some odd bizarre reason they'll still need to have more people interviewed to have the few lucky ones selected, if that happens few more IV's might be send out. Absurd scenario? Probably, but in that sense Ms. Weathers wouldn't be wrong saying that a few more IV's would be called... Possibilities...

For those that believe in miracles, sometimes they happen! ;)

Good luck. :luck:

It seems to be that time of the year.... LOL

I have to admit that I've had my fair share of arguing with asd1234 on this forum, but one thing I can also say is that most of the time, even though a little too rough let's put it this way, she was right!

And let's face it, common sense lacks in this forum most of the time...

Rude or not she was honest, sincere, and yes the truth might hurt sometimes.

Some schools would provide 'misleading information' (in lack of better words to describe it) sometimes for a few reasons (this is my personal opinion), one of them would be to cover their bases, another would be the obvious: not to provide updates/status over the phone.

Let's say that VCU has finished interviewing as pointed out by asd1234, but for some odd bizarre reason they'll still need to have more people interviewed to have the few lucky ones selected, if that happens few more IV's might be send out. Absurd scenario? Probably, but in that sense Ms. Weathers wouldn't be wrong saying that a few more IV's would be called... Possibilities...

For those that believe in miracles, sometimes they happen! ;)

Good luck. :luck:

Thanks! :)

Well, there's always a way to be honest and polite at the same time.... IMHO, unnecessary roughness sholud'n be condoned.

Regarding VCU, I think that they still interviewing, I repeat I THINK. What I really know for sure is that they won't be sending out the Acceptance letters until next week !! The good news is that we are going to hear from them very soon.

Best of luck to all.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I already have had an interview at VCU. So you saying that I'm "angry" because I'm waiting for one is sad. There is no reason to attack people. People waiting for an interview should know that it's not over and shouldn't give up hope. That's why I wanted people on the forum to know that it's not over. CONFIRMED THROUGH KRYSI.

I was not being rude, what you said was extremely rude. No one is putting words in your mouth or attacking you. Take a step back and look at the big picture buddy. It's not always about you.

Also, after reading off Hope4's post I decided to see how many fights asd1234 has picked before. You may say you're "being honest" but you're coming off as rude.

What I don't get is you've mentioned in a post that you were accepted to UIC last year, and here you are telling people that VCU is not calling interviews. How on Earth would you know that?

All I got to say is that people shouldn't trust these forums as much as I do. I'm way too gullible.
If anyone wants to find out information they should call or email the school. They're always there to help.

Also, after reading off Hope4's post I decided to see how many fights asd1234 has picked before. You may say you're "being honest" but you're coming off as rude.

What I don't get is you've mentioned in a post that you were accepted to UIC last year, and here you are telling people that VCU is not calling interviews. How on Earth would you know that?

All I got to say is that people shouldn't trust these forums as much as I do. I'm way too gullible.
If anyone wants to find out information they should call or email the school. They're always there to help.

All I have to say is that while studying and applying for schools.. this forum has kept me entertained! Thanks! I had a good LOL when I read this... sad to say for me... I did not even apply to VCU...have not written part 2... :D

You will all get to know the results soon by last week of june or early july. Not late than that. Last year also, after the bench exam, VCU took 2 weeks to send the acceptances. There are no rolling admissions here. So be patient and do not get sidetracked by false advises and rumors. Wishing the best to all ! All, do well in this admission cycle.

Advise to those who will be accepted, wait-listed or rejected: Every admission cycle is like rail journey. Everyone does not stop at the same station. Look for your station and when the train stops for you, that is the best time. Station of some people would come early in the journey than others, but keep going on. Don't put all your hopes at one place. Put the same effort for every school interview and do your best. Learn from each interview and perform better in the next.

Reactions: 1 user
You will all get to know the results soon by last week of june or early july. Not late than that. Last year also, after the bench exam, VCU took 2 weeks to send the acceptances. There are no rolling admissions here. So be patient and do not get sidetracked by false advises and rumors. Wishing the best to all ! All, do well in this admission cycle.

Advise to those who will be accepted, wait-listed or rejected: Every admission cycle is like rail journey. Everyone does not stop at the same station. Look for your station and when the train stops for you, that is the best time. Station of some people would come early in the journey than others, but keep going on. Don't put all your hopes at one place. Put the same effort for every school interview and do your best. Learn from each interview and perform better in the next.

Thank you.. great words of wisdom and advice! You are awesome!

i got a letter fro VCU saying they have put me in "alternate list."Can anyone please tell me what are the chances of getting selected from this list and any advice will be appreciated. I really loved the school and want to get into it.

Congratulations twinklingstar!!!

Looks like no point waiting anymore with VCU as the game is getting over for this year.

hey congratulaions twinklingstar..could you please tell me ,whether it was a paper mail or an email

Looks like no point waiting anymore with VCU as the game is getting over for this year.

Hi Dentgod,

Looking at your post I remembered my time last year when it was all rejections and it seemed no hope for me. This year I really put in any extra effort and ability into my application. All I want to say is dont get discouraged. This is a journey as said by toothfairyqueen n m sure each one of us on the forum n outside will get into school sometime or the other. Its just a matter of time. Somebody once told me that when u are drowning the only thing you need at that time is breath and you try with all the effort to get that, the wish to achieve success in anything should be equal to that so just work hard which I know we are and rest will all fall into place.....:)
A very Gud Luk to all who are waiting to get into school. we all will just at the correct time....:):)

Reactions: 1 user
well thanks for such inspiring words twinklingstar.but really dont know how much more hard work it needs.

well thanks for such inspiring words twinklingstar.but really dont know how much more hard work it needs.

More than hard work it needs time and patience. I have friends who have applied consecutively for three/four years and then have got acceptance. I know it is hard, I was at the same place three days back but yes I was patient and I believed in myself. Trust your hard work n it will pay very soon M sure....Gud Luk n wish you n evryone else gets into school really soon...:)

Patience is a virtue and along this very rough path we've chosen to walk, our patience limit wil be tested several times. Just don't get discouraged !! , be strong and try to learn form each new challenge. Every new experience (either good or bad) is a learning oppotunity. Always try to find the positive aspects out of those situations and use it to your advantage. If you stay positive, keep improving and trust yourself you'll get there!!

Last edited:
well thanks again twinklingstar and crownprep for such good words..thank u guys