Program-Specific Info / Q's VCU OTD Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTman4

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my acceptance to VCU a few weeks ago and was wondering who else plans to attend. I will be new to the city, so any advice on where to live for a reasonable price or anything helpful would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my acceptance to VCU a few weeks ago and was wondering who else plans to attend. I will be new to the city, so any advice on where to live for a reasonable price or anything helpful would be very much appreciated!
I will be attending! A lot of people recommend living in an area called the fan or shockoe bottom.

I will be attending! A lot of people recommend living in an area called the fan or shockoe bottom.

I live in the Richmond area now and the fan and shockoe bottom are awesome, just be careful. It goes from good to bad really fast since you are in the heart of the city so I would recommend living with someone, but congrats on getting in! I'm still waiting to hear back from them..

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to VCU as well and grew up in Richmond- I loved living in the Fan but it would be more of a commute downtown to classes. There's plenty of apartments downtown though and the OT dept is right next to the National theatre and lots of cool places. Still haven't heard but fingers crossed! Congrats jj2

Received my acceptance, but will be attending a different OTD program. For anyone on the wait list, this should open up a spot for you!

A question for current VCU OTD students. I read that you have class all day, 5 days a week. How much time, on average, would you say you spend on work outside of class?

Also, is it even possible to be a GA or have a job with the schedule?

Congrats everybody who was accepted! I'm currently in Richmond and agree the Fan, museum district, or the bottom are your best bets. Near west end is nice too. Don't go too far east of the city.

How long do you have to let them know? I'm still waiting for a response of any kind from VCU.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone attending the open house on March 18th?

Hi everyone! I just got an email today telling me that I am on the list of the next 10 applicants that might be admitted. I'm not sure if that means it's a waitlist because I thought everybody was accepted already? I really hope to be able to go here, does anybody know what my chances are at this point?

I'll be visiting the open house on Friday! As long as I get a good vibe from the program, I'll be attending :)

Some other people might be doing what I'm doing by using that open house date to make a final decision about the program, so for the people who got the "almost accepted" email, don't lose hope yet! There might be some good news for y'all next week.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! I got accepted yesterday!!! So excited and almost positive I'm attending! Anyone here going from out of state?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys! I was accepted from out of state, I've been in Richmond this week for the open house staying with friends who live in the museum district (one of them is a current VCU OT student) and I totally love this area. It's super walkable and it feels like there are quite a few housing options if you like old buildings, which I do.

As I understand it the program is still waiting to hear back from some mostly out-of-state accepted applicants. My friend pointed out that some of the people who were accepted last year deferred so they could get into the OTD instead of the MA.

I'm not sure if any of yall are still active on this website, but I was recently accepted to VCU. I've read through several threads on this website and through the VCU OTD website but was wondering if anybody could give me their opinion of the program, school, and area based on their experiences. I am visiting the school on Tuesday (1/31) and am hoping to come to an information session in February. Also, any suggestions of areas to look at for housing would be helpful! Thanks so much!

I'm not sure if any of yall are still active on this website, but I was recently accepted to VCU. I've read through several threads on this website and through the VCU OTD website but was wondering if anybody could give me their opinion of the program, school, and area based on their experiences. I am visiting the school on Tuesday (1/31) and am hoping to come to an information session in February. Also, any suggestions of areas to look at for housing would be helpful! Thanks so much!

Congrats!! Did everyone who already got accepted apply early decision? I sent my app in early but assumed I didn't make the gpa cut since it was so high (3.8 I think is what the website said). Getting nervous but staying hopeful for a spot since it's the only state school that offers an OTD program....

As for housing I would use the information session to talk to potential OT roomies and find a nice apartment or townhouse in the fan district

Congrats!! Did everyone who already got accepted apply early decision? I sent my app in early but assumed I didn't make the gpa cut since it was so high (3.8 I think is what the website said). Getting nervous but staying hopeful for a spot since it's the only state school that offers an OTD program....

As for housing I would use the information session to talk to potential OT roomies and find a nice apartment or townhouse in the fan district

Thanks! I did not apply early and I wasn't expecting to hear from VCU so early in the year

Congrats! Did you get a personal email from VCU or did you get an email telling you to login to you account?