Vector addition/ subtraction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips to do it quickly? Do you do it graphically or analytically.

Members don't see this ad.

I use the tip to tail method. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 seconds.

http://chem4823.usask.ca/images/vector-addition.gif

It really is that simple. If there are more vectors, keep adding them to the tip.

I was kind of wondering what the OP meant exactly... I haven't seen extremely complicated vector summation problems, and even if you needed to find a specific magnitude (we wouldn't be asked for polar coordinates so the exact direction wouldn't be something to worry about) you could just do a quick trig calculation and get it. Otherwise, I agree with you, just visually make the triangle to find the composite vector from the components.

I ask because I'm used to using components for every single vector addition/ subtraction problem. And that takes at least 20-30 seconds.
And the head to tail method is nice if they're in one direction.

I want to know of there is a method that is quicker?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was kind of wondering what the OP meant exactly... I haven't seen extremely complicated vector summation problems, and even if you needed to find a specific magnitude (we wouldn't be asked for polar coordinates so the exact direction wouldn't be something to worry about) you could just do a quick trig calculation and get it. Otherwise, I agree with you, just visually make the triangle to find the composite vector from the components.

I agree I haven't really seen any tough questions on this concept. Can you post any specific questions that might be giving you trouble?

None are particularly troubling me, I just was curious if people do it graphically and quickly.

Also should we expect them to be in majority 3-4-5 triangles?

The reason I ask is because this stupid EK Physics book makes it seem like you practically don't need to do anything to get the answer than direct arthritic, so I was curious if I'm doing something wrong.

I've yet to find a vector add/subtract problem that couldn't be done swiftly via tip to tail. MCAT answer choices are typically easy to narrow down with vectors.

I've yet to find a vector add/subtract problem that couldn't be done swiftly via tip to tail. MCAT answer choices are typically easy to narrow down with vectors.

Tail to tip meaning that the answer is usually going to be between the two answers subtracted or added. I.e -> 7, Up 10, the third is going to be between 3 to 17? That's how this Ek physics book is apparently attempting to explain it as.