Verbal and Self-loathing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KevinGnapoor

Bad-Ass M.C.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel immense self-loathing when you re-do passages where you got > 3 questions wrong only to find that the questions were not only hella easy but you chose the dumbest answers possible? Sometimes when I re-do passages I wonder, "what hallucinogen were you on when you thought this could be the right answer??" I'm mostly upset with myself because I have a method that works for me but I fail to apply it for every single question every single time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone else feel immense self-loathing when you re-do passages where you got > 3 questions wrong only to find that the questions were not only hella easy but you chose the dumbest answers possible? Sometimes when I re-do passages I wonder, "what hallucinogen were you on when you thought this could be the right answer??" I'm mostly upset with myself because I have a method that works for me but I fail to apply it for every single question every single time.
To answer your question: no. But maybe this is a good thing for you, because you are learning from your mistakes. Best of luck.

Yeah I don't usually look back at stuff I did fifteen minutes earlier and feel like I must have been high or stupid...

just you OP

That happens to me sometimes. You're certainly not alone. Just keep at it. You can only do better from here on out. Making silly mistakes can only push you to do better, so view it as a positive thing. Don't hate yourself in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you using EK 101? Your scores should steadily but surely be improving.

Sort of, but the thing that really brings my piss to a boil about VR are the one or two questions where two out of the four answers could both be completely correct depending on how you look at it. Generally, 37 or 38 out of 40 questions on the test are completely fair: it's that last two or three where you got it wrong because you don't think exactly like the pointy-headed AAMC gremlin who wrote the damn thing. Those are the ones that get me.

Are you using EK 101? Your scores should steadily but surely be improving.
I am. My scores did increase over time, but I'm certainly not where I want to be. I'm finishing up EK 101 very soon (have about 3 passages left), and my scores have been pretty consistent in the 8-10 region. I'm just gonna keep on pushing through and get better.

Sort of, but the thing that really brings my piss to a boil about VR are the one or two questions where two out of the four answers could both be completely correct depending on how you look at it. Generally, 37 or 38 out of 40 questions on the test are completely fair: it's that last two or three where you got it wrong because you don't think exactly like the pointy-headed AAMC gremlin who wrote the damn thing. Those are the ones that get me.
"brings my piss to a boil" - never heard that before. Made me cackle in the library.

I haven't experienced that yet, but I can definitely understand how frustrating that would be! So far, for me, two choices seem glaring wrong but then it just becomes a matter of trusting my gut answer.

Lol yes! so much yes. Verbal is the worst. Stress of reading cryptic philosophy really gets to me. I wish I would have taken a philosophy class in undergrad (said no pre-med ever).

I am. My scores did increase over time, but I'm certainly not where I want to be. I'm finishing up EK 101 very soon (have about 3 passages left), and my scores have been pretty consistent in the 8-10 region. I'm just gonna keep on pushing through and get better.

Best of luck! Keep at it. If you have access to Kaplan's online resources, those would be helpful as well, if you're looking for more practice.

Maybe I'm on my own here, but EK101 questions are not very representative of AAMC questions. The passages are great to use for practice, but the reasoning behind the answers and the questions themselves are different.

The gold standard for VR is the AAMC full-length exams. If you are taking the 2014 MCAT, they are very, very similar to the actual material.