Verbal Improvement? Nope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bajoneswadup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think every single AAMC or EK1001 verbal I've taken I've gotten a 9. My errors are random, and there's no real patterns. 2 weeks till MCAT and this is seriously annoying me! I honestly think I'm doing something terribly wrong, but I don't know what it is because the errors are so sporadic. Does anybody have any advice besides the normal "try EK it worked
for me"?

Also, the one thing I did notice is that sometimes I miss a question b/c "the author never talked about it". Should I assume that if something isn't mentioned in the passage, unless "implied", it's always wrong? Maybe I'm tryfacing too hard I suck, IDKk what to d0-.-

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I have that problem too: "the author never mentions..." or "the author didn't specifically state" etc... To me it is especially counter intuitive when you are asked to "infer" on other questions. I guess we are "inferring" when we shouldn't. I don't really have any advice for you other than keep practicing. I sure am! I don't think a 9 on verbal is too shabby either!

Unless they ask you to infer, then never pick an answer choice that isn't in the passage. What has helped me is always picking the answer choice that I think the author would pick. I used to argue with the answer choices, but now I just go with the one most consistent with the main idea.

I have to agree with DocAbroad. I've had many questions for which I could make the case that multiple answers are correct. But if you imagine you're the author and try to pick the answer he/she would select, it makes it a bit easier. I also think that more practice gives you a heightened ability to pick up some of the subtle nuances in the passages.

For what it's worth, I've found that I get caught up picking the second best answer a lot of the time - it seems like it's okay, but there's nothing directly supporting it in the passage. Now I'm trying to correct for it by figuring out what three answers are wrong, and going with the only one remaining - but I only use this strategy when stumped